Anybody Else Hate Waves Plugins

Occam

Gold Supporting Member
Every time they update their software it all crashes and I end up dealing with customer service trying to figure how to get it all to work. This last time I just gave up because it seems like I needed to know which version of the plugin I owned and since they’re all scattered over the years I just deleted all of them. A few I actually used but I mostly us UAD and few other brands which don’t have nearly the issues or any issues at all.
Am I alone in this frustration? I don’t see others complaining about them but maybe they’re just more tech-savvy than I am which is entirely probable.

Attachments

JonSick

It's seriously frustrating! When I rebuilt my windows PC last year, I too could not remember the version I had and seemingly neither could they. That and I had already reformatted my PC drives for the build, I couldn't check. Amazing that was nowhere on my account.

Upshot was I had to pay that stupid annual fee to upgrade them to the latest versions... I already owned it, it was perfectly fine, why am I having to pay for an upgrade I don't want or need simply because I couldn't tell them some cryptic series of version numbers off the top of my head.

TBH I don't buy anything Waves anymore. I really don't see the point.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
When I go to My Products on Waves it shows me the version for each plugin i own. Also, I have never had any issues with any crashes with updates.
Same here. I don't use a ton of them but the few I do have been rock solid. No question of versions on the portal.

I'd be interested to know what DAW the OP is using. Stability issues could be the combination of Waves with that particular DAW, particularly if the plugins haven't been kept up to date. :dunno

retro

I have a few Wave plug-ins.

Overall I enjoy them and the Waves Central app seems fine to me.
Mac OSX Catalina.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
I am more of a Waves owner than a Waves user...I've fallen prey to their holiday sales over the years but very few of them have become go-to's for me.

That said, I love Bass Rider and Vocal Rider and use them on every session.

I haven't had any issues with crashes, although sometimes the older plugins will disappear after an upgrade. The authorization process is a bit of a PITA, but the plugins themselves are great IMHO.

ToneDeVille

Silver Supporting Member
I've been running their plug ins for two decades without any issues. And like another plug in library some effects are better than others so it's good to cherry pick what you need.
But with MAC and Pro Tools, regularly updated, I've never had an issue.

retro

Sorry. I gotta join the No Issues club. I’m also running then on OSX and update regularly without any crashing. Love their Abbey Roads plugins. Plate, Chamber and the Mastering Chain in particular.
Heh those are the ones I like.

Ya copy cat!! @%^&&%^&@#

Also a fan of Butch Vig vocals and Eddie Kramer guitars

Well I like their plugins and own a decent amount of them, but I'm not a huge fan of their pay-to-update scheme. For the record, I was aware of it before purchasing.

I just recently thought about updating my macOS to Catalina, but unfortunately all my plugins are v10, so they are not compatible with Catalina (10.15)

I looked at the upgrade to v11, but for the Platinum bundle, Scheps Omni Channel, CLA Mixdown, and PRS Supermodels, the total is $213.84.

I can ditch the PRS amp sims, but I'd like to at least keep the rest if I upgrade my OS. Anyways, I'm really in no real need to update, especially if it's going to cost me. This is where I say to myself, I'm stupid for buying waves.

I do have the complete Soundtoys plugin bundle which is crazy good stuff, so I suppose it wouldn't be too painful to eventually leave the Waves plugins behind :dunno

Bob Maximus

Gold Supporting Member
no problems here, esp. the last one, which is a piano based plugin from a well know artist. Its fantastic. The reverb I got from them is great, but honestly, the one that comes with Reaper is one of the best I’ve used.

I kept the Omni channel and that’s it. I refuse to buy anything by Waves again for that reason. I like Plugin allience. They offer free updates and the products in my opinion are superior. Honestly, I think as do many other their products are on par with UAD and have way lower CPU usuage. Even lower than waves.

John Quinn

I have Waves Central and have the Diamond Bundle, various Packages like the Abbey Road Chambers and Plates and bits of this and that - Never had an issue. WUP has been perfect for me.
I think the WUP agreement isn't well understood - so people get into some trouble with that updating bit. In the last few years as I've become more productive using the Logic Pro plugins and a few
others like Pulsars MU (On the Stereo Buss). But I've started using and loving the Vocal and Bass Rider - they have worked well on tracking.

The thing is with Waves for me - I fell prey to their Marketing and super discounts - and pretty soon a had a Hundred + Waves Plugins - and was only using maybe 2 or 3 with any regularity. So for me
it's a matter of not really needing rather than disliking Waves.

Occam

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve got a Mac trash can and Logic. Every update from Logic or waves has needed me to reinstall all of my plugins one at a time. I have (had) 30 or so Waves plugins (got a bunch when I first started) and Waves Central or whatever it is now only shows me the list of all plugins. The waves site has my purchases so it’s just a pain to update them like that. UAD doesn’t.

Captngeetch

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve got a Mac trash can and Logic. Every update from Logic or waves has needed me to reinstall all of my plugins one at a time. I have (had) 30 or so Waves plugins (got a bunch when I first started) and Waves Central or whatever it is now only shows me the list of all plugins. The waves site has my purchases so it’s just a pain to update them like that. UAD doesn’t.
Waves Central is the installer and Update app. You don’t have to go to the site, log in, go to your acct and look for updates. Just open Wave Central and if updates are available it will show a button at the top of the screen “Updates Available” click that and they will be checked. Then just click Update

Trending Topics