Anybody else have a weakness for cool cheap guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edwarddavis, Oct 25, 2008.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Seems from time to time I get sucked into buying a guitar that is cool looking and cheap.
    theres one now on evil bay , its a Bohemian made by Aslin and also by Jay Turser , kinda a Brian may model with three p90s. trying not to buy it because I just bought another guitar by some othe wacky compant that a zemantis copy . They are cheap but most of the time I end up not even playing these stupid things.
    I need cheap guitar rehab , any others. they are not bad guitars actually and kinda cool just have a hard time resisting them , Like cheap Whores.
    Well I have never actually bought a cheap whore , to much work its easier just grabbing a cheap guitar .

2. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

Most of my guitars cost well under $500. I don't consider them to be cheap, merely inexpensive.

3. bek

bek Member

Only one of my guitars cost me over $350, but none are cheap. Wedgehed, you're killing me -- I used to have a Harmony H47 like that (not in as nice a shape, but a great guitar) and have been terribly tempted by the Squier Tele Thinline and the Jagmaster and Vantage, TC 90 and Firebird....a couple others you have. Our taste is similar -- I'm still trying to meld with my JT_Res. I would post my Linderts, but I can't do that from work....now they are a bit retro/weird.

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'm falling deep into this bag right now. Just picked up a Dipinto Galaxie 4, had it set up. The result is far more than I'd expected. A real surprise. Finding a low-end guitar with high-end tone and playability is as much fun as you can have in gear foraging, IMHO.

5. Grenville

Grenville Member

[​IMG]

How are these tremolo systems? Are they good?

6. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I have one really expensive guitar -- my Slash signature LP. Everything else is under $400. That's pretty much my new thing, finding really cool guitars for very little coin. Next on my agenda is one of the new Classic Vibe teles.

7. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

Those are LesTrems. They operate pretty much like a Bigsby. I've had one of them for over 10 years. I like them.

8. XKnight

XKnight Member

I wish! Unfortunately I seem to suffer from the opposite syndrome called CEGS (Cool Expensive Guitars Syndrome).

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

I have the same problem.
    I have to really criticize the guitar and not take the good-for-the bux approach or a good to modify project, or I would end up with way too many....oops, I did it again...too late:jo

and please....it's more like seeking good cheap bottles of wine vs good cheap sex...really, now:tapedshut right?

10. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

No. I have a weakness for cool expensive guitars.

11. edwarddavis

No offense !!!!! , WOw great bunch of some very cool guitars , its amazing how many cool great playing inexpensive guitars are out there .
    Nice stuff guys

12. edwarddavis

I have both , LOL :rotflmao

13. Memorex

Memorex Member

I have a couple expensive Gibson LP Customs, but the guitar I play most at the moment is a partscaster tele that cost about $230 including the case, the cheapest in my collection. I guess that's because I've lost interest in LP style guitars.

14. straightblues

straightblues Member

Nice collection! Could you please compare the Hofner CT Club and the Eastwood Tuxedo. I have read good things about them and want to buy one or the other. I haven't found either in a store to try out before I buy.

15. Chris T

Chris T Member

Yeah I got one of these and am having a blast with it. The pickups really have a sweet sparkly high end that is just killer sounding....definitely NOT a Strat or Tele or Jaguar or Jazzmaster but somewhere in-between all of those....SURF'S UP!

[​IMG]

16. Chris T

Chris T Member

That Kingston sent a shiver down my spine. When I was learning to play my brother had two electric guitars laying around. One was a Gretsch Duo Jet and the other was THAT model Kingston. I prefered the Kingston! You ever want to sell that one give me a holler...

17. Stringz

Stringz Member

Me, me, me. If I see a guitar cheap that has an interesting look or some enigmatic quality to it, it becomes very hard for me to resist buying it. I'm looking right now at a Japanese copy of all of things a Les Paul Junior (bet you didn't know they made those, did you?). It's a close approximation to TV yellow and has no pickguard, but for what real LP Jr's go for these days, it has to be a steal.

18. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I love 'em! I AM going to be selling off one of my "weirdo's" soon though. Tonally it's just a bit redundant, but will probably be replaced by something else equally strange, hehe!
    I'll keep you guys posted!

Tony
    PS - I know...borderline spam...sorry[​IMG]

19. Clapton is God

Clapton is God Supporting Member

Hey wedgehed, where did you get that tremolo that's on the Epiphone Elitist SG?? That thing is bad ass man.

20. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

Both are good guitars - no regrets on buying either one - but, if I had come across the Hofner first, I don't know if I could have talked myself into spending over twice as much to get the Tuxedo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]