Anybody else have (or had) this problem with a Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by durbanpoison, Jan 23, 2012.

1. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

I've got a Tele that I love, but I do have one issue with it that would be nice to resolve. Often my fingertips rubbing on the pickguard creates static that then causes audible crackle through my pick-ups and onto my amp. So, anybody else experience this and, if so, did you solve the issue/how did you solve it?

Thanks, in advance, for somebody's experienced perspective/solution!

2. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I've had this problem with plenty of guitars, depending on weather, humidity, and if I'm wearing socks on a carpet, etc. Static electricity. Seems to come and go.

3. jmonk99

jmonk99 Supporting Member

You have to ground the pickguard, that will take care of it.

4. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

^^^how is that done ?

do you foil it, and then work a ground up to the pickguard, solder ?..never done it, would love to know how as well !

5. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

Or rub it with a dryer sheet or Static Guard when it's really dry.

6. hmontgomery

hmontgomery Member

+1 on the dryer sheet. Mine are foiled and grounded, and still do it when it is dry. Dryer sheet fixes it every time. Can even be the cheap Target brand:)

7. tonecontrol

tonecontrol Supporting Member

rub your fingers as well

8. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

amazing , who knew......"and leaves your gtr smelling fresh and clean! ;) "

9. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

I've had the same problem with just about all my guitars including my tele. It's a simple fix but that depends on how handy you are. You will need to take the pickguard off and remove the pickups and controls. Remember to measure th height of the pickups at both ends and write them down. In short, gluing heavy duty alumn foil will reduce the problem by 90%. Buy the foil the supermarket. Buy spray adhesive at a craft store. I used masking tape 1/4 inch around the outside of the pickguard before spaying the adhesive. I did not want the foil to go all the way out to the edge of the pickguard. I can look funky that way when you put it back together. MAke the pickgurad, spray adhesive, remove masking tape, apply foil, use razor to trim foil, your done. Reassemble. Problem solved.
    I never had to do anymore, no grounding to electronics.

10. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

Wow, thanks, I'll have to try that, especially since I'm talking about a Tele and, therefore, I don't even have to remove the pickups and controls! Funny thing though, shouldn't aluminum foil, which contains some metal, conduct static electricity? It seems counter-intuitive that this would work, though I'm not saying that I don't believe you.

11. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

See link above. This guy goes into a lot more detail about shielding. Skip down to the pickguard part. I can't explain why all I did was just use alumn foil on the back of the pickguard and it worked but I can tell you I've done this on every guitar I own that has a pickguard and it works. If you've ever taken a high end guitar's pickguard off you'll see alumn foil on the back. Same goes for high end after market pickguards.

Again, see the link, skip all expect the foil on the pickguard part. And yes, it's very easy on a tele.

12. dlmjr2

dlmjr2 Member

I keep a dryer sheet in my case and wipe down the guard when necessary.

13. durbanpoison

durbanpoison Member

Wow. Cool. Thanks! That is an informative site. I'm gonna try this as soon as I can find some extra time.