Anybody else into H. P. Lovecraft

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rockdoctor42, Mar 24, 2015.

1. rockdoctor42

rockdoctor42 Member

I've been reading through the collected works of H. P. Lovecraft and I'm enjoying it immensely. The racism does bring some of the stories down a bit but, all in all, some of the best horror I've ever read.

Thoughts?

pgoon, Mad Wombat and Eric Rowland like this.
  2. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

That stuff used to scare the hell out of me when I was a kid. I wish that movie of "At The Mountains Of Madness" had been made.

Wolfboy1 and Eric Rowland like this.
  3. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

I've always enjoyed his stories. Films generally haven't been able to capture the feel of his writing.

pgoon and Wolfboy1 like this.
  4. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Probably my favorite Author ever. I have plush Cthullhu slippers. Property of Miskatonic tshirts. Etc etc. I have been exposing my wife to his influence so long now she points out when a story line is inspired by him.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  5. shakey_slim

shakey_slim Member

gtone, Angeln, Mad Wombat and 2 others like this.
  6. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I bought a collection of his stories and read The Call of Cthullu. I need to check out some of his other stories.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  7. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

weird stuff but i love it. knowing lovecraft helped a lot with understanding the movie Cabin In The Woods. got to the end of the movie and i was the only one saying oh cool the old gods, nobobdy else understood the end of the movie. Herbert West Reanimator is probably my fav story of his though.

Glass Onion likes this.
  8. art_z

art_z Silver Supporting Member

Love it. Curious Case of Charles Dexter Ward and Shadow over Innsmouth being my favorites. I reread them every year or so. Don't care much for the August Derleth later penned stuff.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  9. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Totally agree.

10. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

And just for a moment, I thought someone else loved the band as much as me. :/

11. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

When I was about 18 or 19 I started a rock opera based on The Call of Cthulhu. Never fininshed it, but got surprisingly far in to it. Most of the lyrics and some of the music. I was attempting to make it as disturbing as possible.

12. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Big fan. I've heard it said that the only reason Poe was more popular as an author was that people (Corman) made a lot of films from his stories.

13. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

H P is responsible for Stephen King and more writers than anyone I can think of. His influence on horror writing is bigger than the Beatles Stones and Zepplin on rock music.

And that is not just hyperbole.

Shine, Wolfboy1 and Eric Rowland like this.
  14. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

That's an interesting theory. I notice that Poe's work has been used a bit by critical theorists and the like, as well (Lacan and Derrida most famously, although Derrida was responding to Lacan; Poe also makes an appearance in Godard's film Vivre sa vie).

15. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I lean more to the idea of the kind of publications they were in. Poe was pretty well known when he was alive. Even more so in Europe than the United States. Lovecraft (and Howard and Burroughs, etc) was mainly published in the pulp magazines. Poe, also, was known for poetry. The Raven and the Bells have been in school books for over a hundred years. Lovecraft wrote poetry along with his fantastic stories, but you don't find him in text books. He never made enough from his writing to support himself.

16. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I use to be a big Lovecraft fan like 40+ years ago. Still reads well today even after several movies later.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  17. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Where else am I gonna post these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shine, Angeln, Mad Wombat and 2 others like this.
  18. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

My first big boy excursion on my own, I rode my bike downtown to the Hunt Library. Very cool old building that had glass brick for flooring. I asked the librarian for a book to read since I was my first time in a library that wasn't part of a school project. She recommended "The Dunwich Horror."

I was riveted to my seat there by the large cut crystal glass window overlooking Main Street. On that long ago October afternoon, I read that story cover to cover. It started a lifelong love of the genre.

Years passed. One day, I mentioned that fall afternoon's reading online somewhere. "Oh, you like H.P. Lovecraft too?" I was familiar with The call of Cthulhu and the whole Elder gods thing. I looked up TDH and learned that the first book I ever read in a library on my own was none other H.P. Lovecraft and I never knew it.

He definitely left an indelible mark upon my young child's fragile eggshell mind. :rotflmao

Angeln and Glass Onion like this.
  19. echale3

echale3 Member

I'm very much into Lovecraft, and have been since I was given a collection of his stories when I was in grade school.

20. germanicus

germanicus Member

Entertaining when I was young, but as you pointed out the racist crap brings it down.

Also it gets a bit redundant. You can only read so many stories where the protagonist goes nuts or turns into a monster at the end.

I don't think we will ever see a good Cthulhu movie.

Even "In the mountains of madness" would just come off as really silly at a certain point. Six foot tall penguins?

General_Specific likes this.