Anybody else like Uncle Doug YouTube channel about amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jecars, Oct 3, 2015.

1. jecars

jecars Member

2. 67super

67super Member

Great videos, I'm an engineer and his videos refresh my knowledge of all things technical regarding tube amps.

I highly recommend.

bullet6759 and jecars like this.
  3. ntmo

ntmo Supporting Member

I have watched many of his videos. Better than anything on TV these days.

bullet6759 likes this.
  4. Mejis

Mejis Member

+1! Happy to see him mentioned here. His videos are well done and he covers the technical concepts in simple enough terms. A good resource if you're interested in amp circuits, repairs, and builds.

Edit: forgot to mention I like Pensado's Place as well. It's not only about amps, but they do some cool studio tours, look at high-end consoles, some guitar stuff, etc. It's interesting to see what gear the recording heavy-hitters are using. There is an episode about Nashville studios that was drool-inducing...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    Washburnmemphis likes this.
  5. kbgear

kbgear Member

+1. Relaxing, fun, humorous, and knowledgable but humble. And he seems like a really nice guy.

6. Paul86

Paul86 Member

I like him too.

7. rodbender

rodbender Member

Doug's cool but Rusty seems like kind of an asshole.

8. Serdontos

Serdontos Member

Uncle Doug is the best on YouTube, his videos are very informative and very easy to understand. Seems like a great guy and has a great sense of humor, he has me laughing out loud with some of his quips.

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've enjoyed many of his videos for all the reasons cited above...but he needs to get someone else to play the damn things, LOL.

10. CubanB

CubanB Member

He was one of the biggest reasons I was able to work on my amps, redesign them, mod them etc and exceed all expectations. I couldn't even solder 9 months ago, and started off wanting to add a choke and some tube rebiasing. Maybe switch a screen resistor or two. And basically, now can build an entire amp from scratch. It didn't even matter that mine were modern and PCB and he likes the vintage stuff, but his videos were so good and the foundational core knowledge is the same. Obviously there was a lot of reading involved and help from other sources.. but I think Uncle Doug's videos were the single biggest thing that helped me.. from feeling like it was a chore to feeling like it was fun. And unlocking new possibilities that I hadn't thought of. Sloclone and Music Electronics forum are also good places for help.

There are others out there on Youtube and they are pretty easy to find. But Uncle Doug's are the most polished and humerous/fun while also being really good at teaching the fundamentals. The others are usually more like watching a tech having someone's amp in his shop and just going through some of the principals he uses to troubleshoot it. There's also a lot of generic electronics stuff like how to change filter caps or tube changes but yeah.. Uncle Doug is one of a kind.

Even simple things like the current limiting bulb are helpful. Doug's also really kind and helpful regarding answer people's comments as well. Some people post these style videos but never answer questions, which sort of contradicts their whole 'helping to learn' video thing.

Rusty is the real brains behind the operation, once the camera turns off Rusty gets a cigar out and starts ordering Doug what to do next.

JTH20, bullet6759, Cgkindler and 3 others like this.
  11. benvigil

benvigil Member

What's great about how he teaches is that he never assumes you know anything. You never walk away scratching your head saying "huh?"

If you want to learn amp design (and electronics in general as it related to amps), I've not found a better set of videos, period!

bullet6759, kbgear and CubanB like this.
  12. Rogue

Rogue Member

I love Uncle Doug...and Rusty and Jack. I don't think he is a guru of sorts, but he has his understanding of things and makes it work. He does a great job of being informative and entertaining at the same time. Fun stuff.

bullet6759 and kbgear like this.
  13. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

The latest one is great - I'm guessing he's going to have to start a jeep cj modification channel next...

kbgear and benvigil like this.
  14. CubanB

CubanB Member

The Uncle we all wish we had haha.

15. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

His vids are great.

kbgear and LadOfEastPoland like this.
  16. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

Corny? I don't feel how really. I talked to him numerous times via Facebook and YouTube. Great person!

17. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

That's why I always show some love under your vids, Leon. <3 Many great people dealing with amps on YT can't play very well, you can!

bullet6759 likes this.
  18. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

He is great, he plays as good as any player. (In a 1950's northern Wisconsin Polka band:dunno:bonk:waiting you know "up nort")

19. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Cool, I hadn't seen these before.

20. buckpie

buckpie Member

It's really great to have people like Uncle Doug who have nothing to lose, he's most likely a retired older guy with extra time on his hands and most likely worked on electronics stuff most of his life. Solid guy who really makes great videos since they don't teach this science anymore because its obsolete except for guitar amps.