• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anybody else love their PRS DGT, but...

mischultz

No DGT, but the same approach with my Mira. I didn't find anything there for which I didn't prefer manipulating volume and tone.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
I have a core Starla with it, and sometimes use the split in the bridge and middle positions to get a nice Tele-y sound, which it does very well. For the best results however, you've gotta give the volume a little push when engaged.

Chicago Slim

Same thing with my PRS Starla. To me, it's the best sounding guitar that I have owned. But it's so bright, that I normally use both pickups, with the Tone control set at 6. If I want to go brighter, I roll up the Tone, or switch to the bridge pickup. I never split the coils.

However with my Swamp Ash Special, I would often split the neck pickup for better articulation.

griggsterr

Gold Supporting Member
We all do this differently.
I never liked the sound of a guitar with the volume rolled back.
i occasionally do it.
I have owned several PRS guitars with split coils, PRS has some of the best split coil sounds I aever heard. Part of what drew me to them.
I still have one. Don't play it a lot. But that neck position split sounds as good as a good strat any day.

Mike Duncan

Staff member
Little bit different on my end. I have two DGTs - one with 57/08s and one is stock. I love the split coil tones! Not that I don't love the humbuckers.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
The coil splits are a big reason why I like the DGT, it's what makes it so useful and raises it above just another nice humbucker guit IMO. It's coil splits are among the most useful, best I've heard/played.

Texsunburst59

Little bit different on my end. I have two DGTs - one with 57/08s and one is stock. I love the split coil tones! Not that I don't love the humbuckers.
I'm with Mike on this. I use the split the most and love it.

I blend both pickups in the split mode. To me it's the most usable that way.

YMMV

auralfeast

Silver Supporting Member
Speaking of DGT pickups, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my DGT was recently refinished by PRS, and upon its return, I've noticed a huge volume drop when going from the neck to bridge pickup at similar volume levels on the knobs - something I don't notice before the refinish. Could they have mis-wired something when reassembling the guitar? I've got the bridge pickup raised to almost touching the strings and the neck pickup almost sink into the cavity, and the neck pickup is still 20% louder. Hence, my #1 has become my #0 - is this how the guitar rolls or do I have something wrong here?

I hate coil splitting, they don't and never sound even remotely like a single coil, even the way Paul Reed Smith does it with his fancy wiring juju, they make a humbucker sound like it's had it's power supply cut in half and that it is being deprived of power. None of my guitars that I use for gigging have it, though when buying pickups if there is a choice between having just the live and ground wire on a model of pickup, or getting that same model of pickup with 4 wires so that it can be split, I always buy the 4 wire version, even though I will never install it to be able to coil split.

duhziner

My 594 does coil splits, really well, but I would just as soon pick up another guitar, lol

jetydosa

I have owned many DGTs - something I have noticed strangely is that while the quality sound of the humbuckers is consistent (which is great), the quality of the split tone varies by quite a lot. Not sure why this would be.
I have had DGTs that I absolutely LOVED the split tones on, to the point of playing entire gigs in the splits, to others the splits being "just ok" and never really using them.

TJNies

I had a DGT for awhile. I didn't care for its split tones, but they weren't awful either. Really didn't sound like a single-coil to me, just lighter-weight HBs.

Blue Crab Blue - what a great color for a guitar! Gorgeous to look at.

Loved the neck on it, but hated the total balance; I often sit while playing and it sat poorly on your knee. Always wanted to fall off to the body side. I also started to dislike the super-large frets. I think those items caused me to sell.

AD

Platinum Supporting Member
The coil splits are a big reason why I like the DGT, it's what makes it so useful and raises it above just another nice humbucker guit IMO. It's coil splits are among the most useful, best I've heard/played.
Same here. The split coils were the best part. I went to the shorter scale DC245 and that's a better fit for me.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Never do. Not because it doesn't sound good, but because I can't deal with the volume drop. Everything is set up for my volume being correct (for the gig) with the HBs, so when I cut the coil, you can't hear me anymore.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Speaking of DGT pickups, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my DGT was recently refinished by PRS, and upon its return, I've noticed a huge volume drop when going from the neck to bridge pickup at similar volume levels on the knobs - something I don't notice before the refinish. Could they have mis-wired something when reassembling the guitar? I've got the bridge pickup raised to almost touching the strings and the neck pickup almost sink into the cavity, and the neck pickup is still 20% louder. Hence, my #1 has become my #0 - is this how the guitar rolls or do I have something wrong here?
I would check the pickup impedance with all the positions... something seems very wrong. PM me if you need advise on how to easily do this

When I had my DGT I used the split coil settings about 75% of the time... Only used the HB setting when I needed that extra power/HB sound.
The reason I sold the guitar is that I didn't like the neck so much and I felt like it didn't resonate/ring to my liking. Still, really good guitar though!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom