Anybody else need a little fret rattle?

twoheadedboy

I recently picked up a Fender '52 Hot Rod Telecaster. It was set up really well, but I wasn't completely happy with the sound. It sounded a bit too clean, and I wasn't getting the midrange grind and snap that I need from a tele. Today, I plugged in the guitar and was amazed by the sound and response. It sounded just like I had initially hoped it would. I measured the action and found that the neck had straightened out a bit, leaving me with a little bit of fret buzz. Maybe it's just me, but I think I need a little bit of buzz for a tele to sound and feel right. What say you?

theaxedoctor

I think it's just you. I find that buzzing frets are extremely annoying to have on any guitar. I set up my guitars so I can articulate every note, as well as ensure that the instrument doesn't fret out when bending.

nrandall85

Silver Supporting Member
Some guitars sound great with a little rattle. The rattle doesn't necessarily mean that notes are going to choke out every time you bend a string.

I'm finding that I prefer drastically different setups for each of my guitars, with preferences based on scale length, bridge type, neck angle, and fretboard radius mainly.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I get what the OP is saying, a little bit of fret buzz doesn't really bother me that much as long as the set up is spot on to my preferences. Its usually unnoticeable thru an amp......

stuco

If its because you are really digging in and not because of a bad setup then no I don't usually mind.

chervokas

I don't like it. I mean, if you're really popping and digging in and you get a short burst of momentary buzz, that's one thing. Pretty much unavoidable really. But anything more than that is something is a no-go as far as guitar set up goes for me.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer no rattle but if you want the guitar to have super low action you might have to live with it. I prefer the action on mine to be a bit higher than that to make bending a bit easier.

DrOctagon

I usually try to have as little buzz as possible even unplugged but it depends on the guitar, really. If you're really digging in you're going to get some rattle anyway so its not always bad.

As long as you can be clean when you want to when you're plugged in I usually have it as low as possible.

poseido

Fret Sizzle or Snap! Yes, I gotta have that. The link that ieso posted with another link to Bill Frisell is pretty awesome!

Stormface

I absolutely always have it... it doesn't bother me even a little bit. I love the sound when I dig in hard on my acoustic guitar even... I just think it adds a bit of grind. My electrics are all set up pretty low and it doesn't really come through the amp but I don't know, it's just right for me I guess.

I don't like it to truly buzz and fret out though, that is bad.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom