Anybody else ordering the Lovepedal vintage 1/2 watt amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Whiz, Nov 3, 2005.

1. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

2. e-z

e-z Member

That thing sound like a lot of fun.

3. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

One response? A 1/2 watt solid state amp that runs on 2 9volt batteries isn't good enough for all you cork-sniffers????
    :mad:

;)
    Seriously, though, I'm pretty psyched about this little thing.

4. whitehall

whitehall Member

I like the distorted one better. Something I don't understand, why are they considered Amps and not pedals ? just because of no footswitch ?

5. CNP

CNP Member

Ordered mine this morning-- very psyched!

6. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Well, this goes right into a speaker. It's a speaker out, not an instrument level out or a line out.

1/2 watt is still pretty loud, believe it or not.

Duct-tape it on top of a little electrosonics 1x10 cab and grab a distortion pedal and an analog delay....and rock the beach.

:D
    :confused:

7. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

papa taco - I'm stoked about it too man. I just ordered a Vintage this morning. For $124.50 shipped, it's hard to go wrong especially given the clips I've heard!

I've got a couple ideas... First, I'm going to stick some velcro on the bottom of it, and put pieces of velcro inside a couple of my cabs so that I can attach it to the inside of any cab I chose. My other thought was that I'd put it on my pedal board and attach my TIP (tone in progress) 3rd hand to it for control over the drive level, but that'd require a helluva long speaker cable, and I don't think that's a good thing.

8. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Cool idea on the 3rd hand.

Kimsuzzie (of love pedal) was saying it's really cleans up nicely from the guitar's volume and it's boost and fuzz friendly. Now my wife's going to be like, why aren't you in your studio? What's your guitars and pedals doing all over the house?

Hehe. I'm going to play this thing on the front lawn and freak out the neighbours.

taco

9. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

they do seem to be the "it" buy of the week....

i'm curious as to how they compare to the smokey's....

http://www.smokeyamps.com/Smokey_Pages/smokey.html

i've got two of the smokey's and i love 'em for what they are....but they're also $35 and have a built in speaker for when you need it....i keep one in my gig bag and really like it for what it is....thru a cab they can sound really cool.....

has anyone done a head to head?

d

10. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Man, I didn't even think of that... worth the price of admission alone!

As for it being boost/fuzz friendly, that's very cool... Even cooler if the amp responds well to guitar volume and picking dynamics!

Never tried a Smokey... That'd be a cool one to have too with it's built in speaker... Unfortunately, guitars are far less portable than mini amps!

11. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

well.....let's just say the built in speaker let's you make noise anywhere.....it's not gonna win any tone awards tho'.....still i like having it there......

d

12. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

I bought an early version (I think) of the modern off ebay. it' sounds very good, especially with my sniper modded ge-7 eq in front of it. so far i've only plugged it into a 10" rajin cajun. I'm looking forward to hearing it through larger cabs.

I also ordered a cannibal and a vintage from lovepedal. Looking forward to hearing if there's any difference between my earlier model modern and the cannibal. If the diff is only cosmetic, I'll be selling one of them.

I'd like to try plugging the modern and the vintage into a radial headbone and combining the sounds.

13. 6789

6789 Member

I ordered a vintage 1/2 watt on friday.

14. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Ordered my vintage on Friday.

15. e-z

e-z Member

The price went up to $155.00 shipped. Anyone know why other than "supply and demand"?

16. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Because it's the second coming of Christ in a little metal box??

No clue, actually.

I'll let you know how I like it when I get it.

taco

17. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Ordered both last week. Sean is a great guy, and I love his work. Cot50 and Woody guy.

18. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

REALLY digging my 1/2 watt Vintage. I got it last week, so I've had a couple chances to spend some time with it. Very warm tones, very easy to get good, if not great tones. Only thing I don't suggest is cranking up a tube amp prior to playing your 1/2 watt Lovepedal amp... It's just too hard to get your ears and brain to readjust to the lower volume output. That said, if you just plug in and play, this thing sounds really right on! I'd say it's very appropriately named, as there are quite a few different "vintagey" tones that can be attained by adjusting the knob on the pedal, and most importanly your guitars controls. Using a humbucker guitar particularly, the 1/2w Vintage is capable of some really great overdrive/distortion without any dirt pedals, and it really works particularly great with my Catalinbread SCOD driving it... Also cool with my Java Boost driving it on full range boost mode, but this is kind of a noisy setup. The SCOD really allows me to take the tones anywhere I want to go... These two devices really play well together. I can't wait to see how the .5w Vintage reacts to my EchoCzar when it gets here. I'm going to go run my T.C. Jauernig Luxury Twin Rate Trem through it now to see how sounds.
    As for speakers, my favorite so far is a single 16ohm Scumback SA-12-75 (H30) in a detuned cab (EarCandy Buzzbomb with one speaker pulled out)... Really makes this little amp sound BIG, and the voicing is great for clean all the way to very mean tones.
    The clean tones with humbuckers always have a little hair on them unless you really use a light touch... with your guitar volume on 3, but even then if you dig in, you get very nice breakup, which is a really good thing in my book. It's very dynamic.
    I've found that this little amp really works great for playing a lot of the later Beatles tunes... The tones really work well in that context, and it's a no-brainer to get there... just plug in, work your guitar volume control and the .5w Vintages knob a little, and you're there.
    The knob on the Vintage is really interesting... seems to affect both gain and voicing to some extent. Very useful. I wouldn't change/add anything so far - I'm having tons of fun!
    I'm also borrowing a "Smokey 1/2w Supro" right now, so I've had a chance to compare the two (both running into actual cabs, NOT using the Smokey's built-in speaker). For what I like, it's really no contest - the Vintage has better tone hands down. The Smokey Supro is far more raunchy and ratty sounding with no clean tone to speak of... The Vintage has both warm clean and overdrive tones that sound, well, vintage! The Vintage also responds far more dynamically to picking attack and guitar volume control adjustment, and the single knob adds a great deal of versatility that the Smokey Supro lacks. All that said, the Smokey Supro is still kind of fun, and I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if I didn't have the Lovepedal Vintage here to compare it too... For the money the Smokey is OK, but it's very easy to tell where the extra money went on the Lovepedal, and it ain't just marketing and a metal enclosure! :cool:

19. matte

matte Senior Member

Have a Cannibal. Love it. S is an absolute genius! Been running it through my Ampeg V4 cab, as well as my Bruno Pine 2X12. Incredible box.