• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anybody else remember the Veneman's Music Emporium Catalog?

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
For a serious case of gear fanaticism for life. I drooled over those catalogs. Being in rural Mississippi we had nothing even close to that kind if store. Those catalogs were like a window into awesomeness.

uburoibob

Treehugger, both in the forest and with strings.
Silver Supporting Member
Hey Bob - did you know that Andy, Tom's brother is in Lou Gramm's band?
I didn't! I never even met the Knolls face to face. It was all through Compuserve and AOL at the time (1988). I thought they were in California. Are they from Rochester? Also, Loudboy, who are you? I see your first name is Mark. But I know a few Marks here... You must be more than a casual aquaintance to know my background. Does your last name start with G?

Bob

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
Here's my Music Emporium/Veneman's partscaster from 1986. I added the logo/decals on the headstock. P/ups are 1986 SD Broadcaster and rhythm set.

guitararmy

I ordered my 1980 B.C. Rich Mockingbird Std. from them after reading about it in their catalog. Still have the page...

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
I sort of remember it? Did they used to show a bunch f quilted BC Rich guitars like Eagles? I don't think if seen many quilt tops up to that point.

rf1031

Anyone know what date the Rockville Pike store opened? Wondering about purchase date of a Nagoya acoustic I bought at that grand opening. Les Paul played a set with his Paulverizer (first time I'd seen anyone looping) and I think his son on drums. He scratched his autograph into my 72 Goldtop's pickguard with a nail he carried for just that purpose. I think Nagoya was Veneman's house brand of Martin clones.

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
I think Nagoya was Veneman's house brand of Martin clones.
Yes, it was. Like I stated on the first page of this thread my father bought a Nagoya from the Springfield location in the late 70s. One of the cool things I remember from that exact trip was the EVH VHII Charvel hanging high on the wall. I wanted it SO BAD!!

rf1031

Yes, it was. Like I stated on the first page of this thread my father bought a Nagoya from the Springfield location in the late 70s.
Not sure why you wrote, "like I stated..." Feels like I'm being called out for not reading thoroughly, even though I had already read your post and thought it was nice to see another Nagoya still kicking around. But my question was not if Nagoya was carried by Veneman's, but whether it was a Veneman's exclusive - their own private label. Like I said, I bought mine there, too! :)

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, succesor to Kapa. Its possible they may have distributed them as well. Not quite Martin clones but inexpensive copies. Koob was an early purchaser of various MIJ product, like the othe house brand, Bradley guitars. Started with the late 60s when they shut down Kapa production/assembly in the USA.

uburoibob

Silver Supporting Member
I worked there from 1988 until it closed in 2002. I wrote and produced the Music Emporium catalog in that time frame. The Nagoya brand was long gone by that time.

I found this post from 2008 on Harmony Central from "mc5nrg:

---------
I worked there, at Veneman's that is. Nagoyas were the house brand acoustics and Bradleys the electrics, though the Bradley name showed up on some acoustic/electric product from Korea later 90s. As stated, Music Emporium was a pretty succesful mail order division pre MF. Also the metro DC area is highly transient, as people come from all over for government jobs and education and sometimes leave 4 years later. Both Bradley and Nagoya were succesor to the Kapa brand which was the previous Veneman house brand, mostly used on electrics assembled in MD and some import acoustics.

Kapa- name formed from Veneman family first initials
Bradley- street in Bethesda, MD near a former Veneman chain location and also home.
Nagoya- city in Japan known for various guitar and MI companies.
Jack Casady used to teach at a Veneman's.
"Now we're going to play a Cecil Taylor tune"-Fred "Sonic" Smith

check out www.myspace.com/sonicsrendezvousband box set recommended!
-------------

His post has correct information.

Bob

rf1031

Thanks Bob. I know you weren't there pre 88, but do you know any early Veneman history factoids (or mavens of Veneman lore)? Like where was original Bethesda location? When did Rockville Pike open? The floodgates of my memory have been opened, but it's just been too long or I was just too young. I took guitar lessons at Bethesda store (where I bought my first electric in 72 or 73- a cherry sunburst SG ). I once walked a couple of miles from my house when I was in my mid teens with $50 in small change, to buy a red velour covered Foxx FuzzWahVolume pedal. They weren't happy about counting the coins. But damned if I can remember where I walked. Woodmont triangle? Old G'town?
Randy

uburoibob

Silver Supporting Member
At one time I knew some stuff. Like Paul Reed Smith working in the basement. I believe that was in Rockville, but I am not sure. And I did know where they were in Bethesda. And where they were in DC before that. But all that's long gone from my brain at this point. I wish I could tell you more. I only lived in that area from 88 to 91, when I moved back to Rochester. I was one of the few that left their employ and still worked with them. I continued producing their catalogs, flyers, etc - even their early website - until 2002. Then they were gone. I've only talked with Ted once since then...when Andrew Brakhan, president of Sennheiser (whose advertising I did from 1991 - 2007 or so) died. But that's really the only contact I've had. Wish I could tell you more!

Bob

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
The Bethesda store was on Wisconsin Ave, approx. between the intersection where Old Georgetown Rd. ends and the lot where the old Farmers Mkt is, same side of the street.

Shortly after they blew out the remaining Kapa guitars and parts-lets say 68-70 ball park- they began closing the smaller shops in Bethesda, maybe SS, somewhere in PG county I'm not entirely certain living in Bethesda. Thus the move to a superstore concept sans lessons, sheet music and such. Early 70s. I'm pretty sure they were already on Rockville Pike when Metro construction meant some changes at that location. At anyrate by the time I was in HS, we had found our way to Wheaton and Chuck Levin.

JohnnyGtar

OK, this is reeeeally weird. I was just now thinking of Venemann Music Emporium catalog for the first time in years, and then I went to The Gear Page and what do I see? Yikes! Anyway, I worshipped those catalogs when I was a kid! Faaaaar out, man! LOL

And yes, the weed is excellent tonight! :D

Last edited:

skhan007

Me and my buddies used to cut class in high school and go over to Veneman's to play and drool over all the pointy guitars. All our guitar heroes in the mid-80's were playing Charvel, Jackson, BC Rich, etc. Veneman's was like Disney World, as far as I was concerned. I remember the "May Day Sale", which was quite the event as well. Lines for miles it seemed.

Wow, I kept those catalogs for YEARS - I ended up throwing a bunch out when the wife went on a bender to clean our basement of old junk out. I had some of those catalogs for 20 years! But at one time it was indeed the "window to awesomeness". I heard about the "Buy one get one free sale", that would have been awesome!

uburoibob

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, I kept those catalogs for YEARS - I ended up throwing a bunch out when the wife went on a bender to clean our basement of old junk out. I had some of those catalogs for 20 years! But at one time it was indeed the "window to awesomeness". I heard about the "Buy one get one free sale", that would have been awesome!
I am glad you liked them. It was a lot of work, and at the time, I didn't realize we were actually inventing the whole genre for Sweetwater, AMS, Thoroughbred and the others. I still have the very first drawings I did for my first catalog in 1988. I drew the entire thing out by hand for the layout, wrote all the copy into notebooks, and then created the layouts using Ready, Set, GO! on my original Mac Plus. We were one of the first publications of any kind in the world to use digital halftones. It was quite a time of change in the publishing world.

Bob

YF12A

Wow! Newbie here, first post. I remember the catalogs and wish I still had one, great catalog for the time! Does anyone remember their big store in Loehmann's Plaza in Falls Church/Fairfax on Route 50? With the Saxitone store near by and a Roy Rogers as well? Early '70's my friends and I would go and drool on everything there and never got hassled. Always wanted the Gibson SG bass, but...The store in Springfield moved once if I recall, wasn't as fond of the people there. Went to the super sale once in Rockville once but the place was pretty well cleaned out by the time my friend and I got in.

Trending Topics