Anybody else using a bass amp as their guitar amp?

vintagelove

Polytones are some of my favorite amps. Pretty typical among jazz players. Beyond clean tones, use dwindles.

That's not to say it can't be an awesome mod/pedal platform.

jbltwin1

Well, it SAYS BASSMAN on it but it is truly a great guitar head. Especially now that It's been rodded. Mike

Custom50

Used to use a Bassman, but I think people have known what good amps they are for a few decades now.

ROKY

Yes I use a few 'bass' amps for guitar, actually .

'62 Fender Bassman,
1968 Traynor YBA-3
1968,'70,and '71 Traynor YBA-1As
'74 MATAMP GT100
'75 HIWATT DR-201

Then I have guitar amps I can use for bass --
'62 Fender Showman
'78 Fender Super Twin Reverb
'73 Traynor MKIII

Multicellular

I did for a while because I was doing a multiinstrumental thing. Sure I could have used a keyboard amp, but the GK 150mbe I had, had such a nice clean tone, a very strong eq section.

When I got to playing with more overdrive, it didnt take it as well as a tube amp (or the Quilter I now have)

Dubious

'68 traynor YBA1
Accoustic 134 (same as the bass amps but with trem and verb)
Ampeg V4

bob-i

The old tube bass amps work well for guitar, in some conditions better than they do for bass. My favorite being the 5F6-A 4x10 bassman from 59. Today's bass amps are not so good for guitar being more of a full range amp/cab combo. I've actually used a G&K 2x10 bass combo for acoustic guitar a few times, but electric doesn't cut it.

Trout

I did for over a decade, Ampeg SVT with (2) 8X10 Cabs, In fact,, our rhythm also used the same setup.
Mind you this was in the 70's and there was 0 sound reinforcement for most shows we did.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
I've happily used several Bassman heads and an Ampeg B-15 flip top for guitar over the years and currently am very happy with a jtm45 :D

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Hmm, I forgot about the jtm50 I built and unfortunately sold when I lost my job 2 years ago. That was a damn fine amp.

bigtone23

The usual answer here is the Fender Bassman amp from it's tweed to Silverface versions.
I had a '64 6G6-B head that was an amazing guitar amp. My current '73 Bassman Ten with loosened negative feedback also serves great guitar tone for days. I have my eye on a '70 Bantam Bass combo. It's also a great guitar amp as the Bassman Ten is.
My old SWR Workingman's 12 and Mark Bass CMD121P are cool acoustic amps.

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
'59 Bassman RI
'76 Bassman 50

The Bassman RI is currently my #1.... Although it battles back and forth between it and my '63 Vibroverb RI.
The Bassman 50 just sounds like a huge Virbolux. I run it into a 2x10 cab and grin every time I turn it on.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
No one mentioned VOX, my band mate from a few bands back used a VOX amp that was built for bass guitar. It sounded great.

Mighty Melvin

I generally look for bass amps when I'm shopping for a guitar amp. Guitar amps have all that effects and overdrive stuff.

gldtp99

1977 Ampeg V4B 100 watt tube bass head boosted by OCD with my friend Matt playing some modern style rock------- '70's Orange 4x12----- this vid was done shortly after I'd rebuilt this head and another similar 1975 Ampeg V4B head.

Trending Topics