Anybody ever blow a G12H30 RI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by grantford, Jan 18, 2008.

1. grantford

grantford Member

I have one of these hellatone G12H30 chinese RI's ina 1x12 cab. I hooked up a 50w plexi reissue with PPIMV. Obviously I am barely turning the amp up at all. I dont think the volume I am playing with would even keep up with a drummer, however the speaker souds marvelous being pushed like this! Sounds like it's screaming for mercy and I love it.

I dont really care if it blows, I'm having fun here. Are these conservativley rated at 30 watts or what?

LOL

Grant:dude

2. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

One thing to think about is the amp. If you have a 30-watt amp, it is probably conservatively rated (even if the speaker is as well). Your best bet if you want to crank the amp through one speaker is to make sure that the speaker is AT LEAST the wattage rating of the amp. Otherwise, you'll probably destroy the speaker.

That said, I've been running my (LOUD) 36-watt Ceriatone LiverPull through a Bogner cube with one G12H30, not fully cranked but very loud, for quite a while now and that speaker is hanging in there just fine. Sounds phenomenal, and has broken in very well, so it sounds that much better than it used to.

For a 50-watt plexi, I'd go with either two G12H30s or two Greenbacks, or maybe one Celestion Gold (50-watts).

3. bradinnm

bradinnm Member

I am running a G12H30 in a modified SF Fender Deluxe Reverb that is running around 40 watts with new iron and a Weber Copper Cap rectifier. I have pushed the HELL out of the thing before with hot overdrive levels and the Deluxe cranked near the top. Great Sound (I was overtopping a marshall JCM-900 half stack). I run this rig pretty hot all the time and have never had a problem. Bruce Collins at MissionAmps.Com in CO who modified the Deluxe for me (does great work by the way) told me that a G12H30 is VERY conservatively rated at 30 watts.

Brad

4. grantford

grantford Member

Yeah, obviously I understand the math: 50+ watt Marshall + ~30 watt Celestion = Bad, but I am just wondering how bad because it sounds soooo good!

I will probably keep pummeling it for now and see what happens. I will have a lower wattage amp to run on this cab soon enough.

ANother question. If I blow a 1x12 will my amp blow from having no load coming from the blown speaker? I dont care if the speaker blows, but I would like to keep the amp in tact!!!:roll

5. localmotion411

Yeah, I say go ahead and crank the sucker!! That is an easily replaced fairly inexpensive speaker. It will most likely not blow but will get nice and broken in. Even when a speaker blows, it is still connected to the amp, so the amp sees the speaker load, so you should be fine. I'd turn off the amp if it does happen, immediately.

6. grantford

grantford Member

Have you guys noticed that there comes a point where you turn the amp up and the speaker doesn't really get any louder? It just seems to compress more. I am guessing that means I am at the limits of the speaker. i tried this the other day...just once, for one minute... I promise!:crazy

7. bradinnm

bradinnm Member

That is also a function of the amplifier. It will only amplify a sound source to a point and then it will begin to clip adding harmonics and "compressing" the sound.

Brad

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Ive beaten the G12H-30 Anni hard and have yet to blow one. Im convinced they are capable of being mated to a 30 watt amp without worry bearing in mind that a 30 watt amp will produce way more than 30 watts fully cranked. Ive run my 60 watt Supersonic fully cranked thru two of them. I ran 4 of them with my 120 watt JSX cranked.
    Be careful though if it a does blow when your cranking it you could take out the amps output transformer with it. Bob

9. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Those speakers don't cost much. I say if it does something for you and you are willing to replace it every couple of months, GO FOR IT!!!

10. stuffedshirt

stuffedshirt Member

Since it's been broken in, how does it sound different from when it was new?

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

What about the OT? Bob

12. localmotion411

It is smoother and creamier when driven, a little warmer and more open. Any harshness due to the speaker being new is now gone and everything sounds "right". And it very well could be that my ears have grown more accustomed to hearing that particular speaker, but sounds very good to me. Wouldn't think of changing it now.

13. grantford

grantford Member

THis has been my attitude thus far. Heck I bought this one used:AOK

14. grantford

grantford Member

That's kinda what I was inquiring about earlier. If it keeps a load on the amp it would be ok. Does anyone know for sure what happens when a speaker blows. Is there still a load present? Maybe it depends what fails?

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If the voice coil burns out and goes open(as in no sound at all) there will be no load and the OT will get some nasty flyback voltages and possibly the smoke will be let out of it- and we all know what happens when you let the smoke out! These speakers are definately conservatively rated but you should be aware of the possibilties should it give out. Bob

16. grantford

grantford Member

Thanks for the tip. On the bright side the amp I am using with it is a 1987x RI, stock transformer. If i blow it up that means UPGRADE!;)

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I can relate to your reckless abandon! lol! Bob

18. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Open voice coil = Bad news for the OT.

Behave yourself and get the properly rated speaker. :)

19. grantford

grantford Member

I'm happy to report I pushed it for 4+ hours at practice on Sunday with great results. No smoke yet...
    :BEER

:rotflmao

20. hamfist

hamfist Member

Ah, that upgraded OT gets closer and closer !! :BEER