Anybody ever boost their mids(Mesa Mark iv)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by billyg121, Feb 7, 2012.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

as part of their core sound. Ive struggled with my Boogie for years now to get a good sound out of the crunch channel.the dirt is just kind of mid-hinky sounding. long story short i tried something ive never done,which is actually boost the mid slider on the 5 band eq. the results..at least for now.!..is a smoother punchier crunch. so far so good. most people seem to scoop their mids slightly for classic rock..and maybe bump the mids for solos. i know the best advice is what sounds good will work..but is this just something that has my ear believing its punchier..and smoother in comparison to my other settings? i guess what im trying to ask is do any of you guys boost mids for your base sound?

2. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Never could get any dirt sounds I was happy with on channel 2 but man o man was channel 3 something to behold! Presently have the V and channel 2 is much better and very versatile with the 3 different modes but channel 3 does not quite sound as good as channel 3 on the IV. Sorry no advice for you but others claim it sounds good with an overdrive of some sorts in front of it. I don't think too many people were too pleased with channel 2 so if you got it sounding good to your ear...good for you,thats what counts is how it sounds to you. And also yes boosting mids somewhat worked for me but that said I did usually go with some sort of variation of the traditional v shaped eq, but as you said the middle slider pushed higher up but always on channel 3.

3. geddyentwistle

geddyentwistle Member

speakers??

my mark 4 set for midrange punch and run through greenbacks,,, keep bass low....and with the eq scooped, and its like having 6 great one channel amps

channel 2 is perfect for ac/dc, and you can get pretty close to it by working the guitar volume when in channel 3

4. Jerry Lundegaard

Jerry Lundegaard Senior Member

I'm using the traditional smiley face on the sliders, but my Mark V is very mid punchy anyway as I'm sure you know. It gets killer crunch sounds by how I voice the chords I'm playing.
    I try to find as many open string chords as I can along with those that utilize the A,B,and E strings but no G unless it's open, so as to increase definition in the voicings I like to use. The lead tones coming out of this thing are excellent, but I am also looking at a souped up Marshall style head for that particular killer tone too.

5. Lance

Lance Member

Hehe! I've done it on a Mark III blue. R2 channel with the clipped resistor mod, with the mid control cranked. A slight bump on the graphic, and a huge mid push through the front end with a Furman PQ-3. I was pushing close to 20 db in the 800 - 1000k range. It sort of turned it into a George Lynch sound. Not quite, but it has that feel to it. Trey Anastasio uses a frown on the graphic on his Mark III, and pushes the front with two tube screamers stacked. These amps will take almost any kind of experimentation, and shine like a mutha-f*cka! Just don't turn the low end control above 2, and they sound killer! That is something that most haters don't seem to get with these amps. You are not the bass player. You do not need a bunch of low end frequencies.

6. billyg121

cool thanks for the thoughts guys. i have the short head combo with the stock evm spkr.do you guys cranks the gain with the pull fat engaged?

7. Jerry Lundegaard

Jerry Lundegaard Senior Member

I never turn my gain past 1:30 in Mark IV mode, which is where I spend most of my time. I get great crunch and fat lead tones in Mark IV or Mark IIC+ modes.

8. Lance

Lance Member

I usually never pull the deep. it just mucks things up in a big mix. Pull at least the V1 bright, if not both brights and keep the treble around 4. Oh, and I do crank the V1 gain, and have the lead channel around 6.5-7. It just depends on how loud you can be. Sometimes you have to run class A mode, because of volume cops at some places. But I've made that work fairly well. Thanks to the versatility of Mark 3's & 4's.

9. Neptical

Neptical Member

Jumping the Mid control knob to 6-8 on the Mark Series amps is where they shine ..it becomes 'sing city'. The GEQ ( graphic eq) I don't set up scooped in the 'V'..it just doesn't sit in the mix that great,plus I find it's just not for me. I use the same settings in Simul-class and Class A.

Here's my settings: ( it may vary a bit between speaker cabs)

[​IMG]

10. teveinsene

teveinsene Member

Not familiar with the Mark III, but was wondering how its lead channel might compare to the IV, does it have the same amount of available gain. For the price you see these going for I think I would like to pick one up.

11. Neptical

Neptical Member

The IV's lead is just more compressed - the III's lead is a bit hotter sounding but still very smooth with the notorious liquid Mark sound. It's just overall more aggressive, not in a bad way either. The cleans have the crystal clear Fender spank going on as well. Great amps!

12. dughaze

dughaze Member

On the Mark IV the secret is don't turn the gain up too far on channel 2. I usually have it on 7 and not pulled. When the gain is added beyond this it sounds bad. The gain on channel 2 is slightly different sounding and has a different dynamic than the Lead channel's gain. People want channel 2 to sound like the lead channel so they automatically crank it all the way up till it sounds bad and then abandon it. It has a sweet spot but it's not where people want it to be. It sounds great with the gain at a lower setting and an overdrive used as a boost can sound really good on channel 2. When channel 2 is turned up in volume, as it gets nouder, it sounds really good. It's made to be played at louder volume like a Marshall but keep the gain knob down.

13. billyg121

thanks @ dughaze , i totally agree! ive recently discovered that about R2 and the gain. @ Neptical...thamks for that diagram! my eq is taking very similar shape to yours..with the middle slider and the 6600 slider bumped slightly.

14. scorched

scorched Member

I had a Mark IV for 17 years and loved it. It's helpful to understand what R2 is by looking at the preamp schematic. It's really just a 'boost' circuit to R1. It shares all the circuitry of R1 so thinking it's going to be very different just isn't going to happen.

What I did was setup R1 clean, R2 sitting on fence OD (roll down guitar volume for clean) and R3 for 'singing' voice. Various dirt-boxes did the rest. The Mark IV takes pedals very well. I could get all kinds of cool sounds from it. You could apply the graphic eq just to R2 if you wanted - mid boosted with a MI Audio crunchbox - and get a Marshallesque crunchy roar.

I liked my Mark IV more than the Mark V. I took the Mark V back.

15. billyg121

Thanks for that Scorched. I going to really start experimenting with lower gain on R2.