anybody ever convert a BF/SF twin to tweed specs?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bolero, Oct 11, 2004.

1. bolero

bolero Member

?

or, maybe just the preamp, and keep the BF power setup?

kinda unimpressed with my SF twin, that has been BF'd

don't want to sell it & buy a real tweed twin...$$

I think the BF circuit is a bit too bright & clean for me though

...was also thinking of trying a pair of KT66's instead of the 4 6L6. any thoughts on this?

thx

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Rewiring it for tweed is a major undertaking, and probably a lot harder than building a tweed twin kit. You could probably sell that for $700+ and buy most of a Mojo or Mission LPTT kit, with a pretty straight forward build. I'm not a great believer in turning a silk purse into a sow's ear. Or, how about spending the money you'd spend modding on buying a really good overdrive/preamp pedal to get the sounds you want out of it (BF Twins are great as palettes upon which to paint other OD colors)?

3. bolero

bolero Member

hmmm, that's good advice

I forgot about footpedals....thing is, the clean sound isn't nearly as good as my jtm100, believe it or not.

...I don't *really* want to hack it up; but I've had it for so long ( it was my 1st real amp ) I don't want to let it go.

was looking around the 'net & doing some reading here:

http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/fenderAmps.html

looks pretty interesting....a lot of it is way over my head though!

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You know, I forgot that someone used to build a unit called a "Fender Mender" that essentially cascades the first channel into the second. It's footswitchable so you keep the second channel clean, but click it the other way and you've got quite a bit of gain (although it is a peculiar kind of Deluxe Reverb II, Rivera gain). They usually sell used for less than $100 and don't require any mods...

5. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

I actually bought this unit (made by Bill Hicks I think) for my Fender Twin Reverb. It does what it says, but I thought most, if not all, of the tones were very harsh, gritty, and pretty unusable. I opted to just use dirt pedals to get the OD tones I needed.

6. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

The easiest wya to get tweed tone out of that style amp would be to install a Allen style raw control. 1 50k to 1m pot and some wire...

7. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Not Bill Hicks but David Hicks.

8. jamme61

jamme61 Supporting Member

Did you mess with the Negative feed back? that can really bring an amp, to life.

9. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

I've never done it or played one myself, but I know I've heard of guys converting the normal channel to tweed preamp values.

wait......this is a 5 year old thread??? that's awesome