Anybody Ever Heard of An Alamo Capri Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Toneslinger, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Toneslinger

Toneslinger Member

I was back home in Texas visiting the "old home guitar store" and my friend who runs the store was selling an amp for a kid on consignment. He wanted $20 for it and said it didn't work. I brought it home, had a friend who is an electronics guru a look at it and found it had a bad cap in it and replaced it. The thing fired right up.

It has got to be one of the quietest tube amps i've ever heard.

Unfortunatly I dont know that much about it and was wondering if anybody here had heard of them or knew anything about em.

[​IMG]

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Well, this is what I know...Alamo was a Texas based guitar amp company back in the 60's that made a number of different model amps that competed price wise pretty well with the Danelectro and Sears amps at the time...A few of my guitarist/friends here in Santa Fe are into Alamo's big time..they love em..I've seen a number of models from them...mostly EL84 based tube rectifier stuff,..I think they went out of business sometime in the 70's

3. richey88

richey88 Member

I had one, cool little amp. Sadly I destroyed mine with an original EH LPB-1 and fuzz face.....hey I was like 13, I wanted a sunn beta lead and dad wouldn't spring for it while his old Alamo still kicked (and it did). Stupid kid (me).....

4. Tygr1

Tygr1 Member

Made in San Antonio from the early 60s to 70s. The Capri was a low wattage amp made for many years and with many cosmetic changes over the years.

5. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I have an early 50's Alamo "Jet" tweed champ-like amp, single ended, speaker sucks but sounds pretty cool at low volume.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Toneslinger

Toneslinger Member

so based on the pic above, any feedback on the one I got?

7. Toneslinger

Toneslinger Member

that is a smokingly cool looking amp! I love it. does it sound as good as it looks?

8. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I have an Alamo Embassy with similar cosmetics as that Capri.

I have tried to research Alamo, and it seems they have made a few different circuits within one name. So its hard to tell what you got just by the name.

My embassy has a solid state preamp and a single 6v6 and a tube rectifier and some sweet sounding tremolo. It has a square back 10" speaker. I converted the combo into an old PA head shell. Sounds MUCH better through modern speakers.

I have heard that some of the Capri's are based on Champs. I think Alamo basically copied Fender amps, or were at least influenced by Fender.

I love mine, a great find for low cash.

dk