anybody ever mess w/ Garage Band software?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by regotheamigo, Sep 24, 2006.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I just got my first MAC (LOVE IT!!), and saw that it came with Garage Band. Anybody use that for recording there music? I have Cubase, so will be using that. Just curious

2. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I love Garage Band. For a free piece of software, it's incredible. Easy to use and really powerfull. It does everything MOST home recorders will need.

My studio consists of a Logic Pro 7.2 setup with a crapload of nice virtual instruments and plugins. But for just getting quick ideas down or basic composition, I'll fire up garage band. It's just faster, easier, and less involved than Logic and works great. It's clearly not as flexible as the pro systems, but it's a GREAT program in my mind.

Rick

3. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

so do you need a audio interface like you would with Cubase? How do you record stuff? Need a mic?

4. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I think a Gear pager wrote a book on using Garageband. Perhaps he'll see this post and chime in, or you can do a search.

5. zooeytown

zooeytown Member

You can use your Mac's built-in microphone on Garage Band...or any sort of USB or Firewire Interface. I'm running an M-Audio Firewire 410 through it and it is seamless.

I highly recommend GB...it's great and easy. Nine Inch Nails is also a huge fan and posted one of their singles as a Garage Band file download...so if you can make a radio single via GB, you know it's good :)

6. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

DAMM! I can't wait to start messing around with it. Does it come with effects?

7. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Yes, you'll want an audio interface. There's a bunch of affordable USB or firewire interfaces out there though, so you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

As for a mic, it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to record your actual amp or vocals, then yes you'll need a mic. If you have a Pod or other amp simulator, you can get decent tones just going direct (in my case, living in a townhouse, better than trying to mic an amp). For someone just starting out, I'd say to just grab a single Shure SM57. You can get great takes from just about anything with them.

Do yourself a favor... go click around Tweak's site. He answers ALL the questions that are asked by people just starting out with recording. In addition to providing answers, he's got great recommendations on gear at all price points.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Good luck! (and have fun!!!)

Rick

8. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

yup :D

9. Orren

Orren Member

That would be me. :)

For quickly putting down ideas, processing them with world class effects (from Logic), and adding software instruments and loops, I think GarageBand is very hard to beat. And of course the fact that any GarageBand song can be opened in Logic (Express or Pro) for those who want more powerful software means that you're "upwardly mobile" with your projects.

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend you look into a cheap USB mic. If you don't plan on miking an amp, vocals, etc. but want to plug in a guitar direct, then you probably want an inexpensive audio interface with a very good guitar-impedance matched DI like the Presonus FireBox. And if you get the FireBox, you can also use it's outputs to plug in some higher quality speakers, when you get more money.

Good luck, and have fun!

Orren

10. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I messed around with it last night, and it is cool. Like some of you said its perfect for laying down idea's quick. I wouldn't use it as my main recording source, because I have Cubase SX3, but its better than me trying to get idea's down on some old tape recorder.

11. gw_bluesman

gw_bluesman Member

Ok guys ... I hope this is not TOO silly a question but is there a PC (Windows) version of Garageband ??

Also, I am just getting into digital recording and was thinking about a Firebox (or even a Firepod) or M-Box. I don't mind spending a "few" bucks more for something decent but since I am starting out and learning and this is for a home studio for demos' I want to take it easy and conserve my dollars.

I saw a small package SPECIAL, Guitar Center Bundle with the Presonus INSPIRE and bundled software including BSD Lite and others for $249 ... am I wasting my money??

Thanks,

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

No windows version of GB.

I use it as well (although Audacity has some things I like, too, and runs a bit quicker on my PowerBook) all the time. I have a USB audio interface that has been modified by a company with two gooseneck audio technica mics in stereo. Great for solo guitar/room recordings.