Anybody ever play a Boogie Mark II C+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott M., Mar 14, 2006.

1. Scott M.

Scott M. Member

Reviews have been great. Anyone here own(ed) or play(ed) one?

Thanks in advance.

2. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

The guy that bought one of mine is selling it.

S.

3. Scott M.

Scott M. Member

Do you have his name or other contact information? Also, did you like the amp? Thanks.

4. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

I own a Boogie MKIIC+, Coliseum MKIII(thanks TAG!) and a MKIV.

The IIC+ has a warm overdrive and sustains for days. It can do anything from Santana to Metallica on the lead channel. I highly recommend that if you should decide to get one ,you should get one with a graphic EQ. You will thank me later because the tonal option are insane when using the EQ.
    The next thing that you will hear about the MKIIC+'s is the hype surrounding the stripe mods. I can tell you from experiance that I can hear little difference betweeen most of the strip versions, but just to save you some time, a Red Stripe or Blue Stripe MKIIC+ wil a graphic eq kills ;)
    (go here if you aren;t familiar with what the stripe mods are!)

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

The only Downfall of the IIC+ is that each channel suffers when you try to setup each channel for your ultimate tones. In other words if you set the amp for a maximum lead setting your clean suffers and vice versa. They are great amps but would not be my first pick for a live gig setting. For recording, it is one of my go to amps!

5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I may be interested in selling it. I have a road case for it in killer condition and a Cream colored combo shell if you want to switch it out. Here's a pic and you can PM about it later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Scott M.

Scott M. Member

7. Scott M.

Scott M. Member

I'm assuming the factory C+s are more valuable than the modded ones, but does anyone have an idea how much? Also, if Mike B. has done the mod, I'm also assuming there's no difference tonally. Comments? Thanks.

8. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

been using them for about 10 years. In the right hands I think they are the best of the Boogie line by quite a bit. I recorded my previous cd with a Mk IIc+, an EV12, and a Santana III. Check the sound samples, www.garysmallband.com

9. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Great chops and great tone there Mr. Small :AOK

10. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I've owned quite a few IIC+'s in my time. They are great amps. I was especially fond of the 100 watters. I eventually moved away from them and have ended up using MK III simul-class models. The IIC+ 100's are very powerful amps and sound best when they're loud. I just don't play at the volume levels I used to nor do I find myself in many situations where I could really open up a IIC+ 100 to it's optimum level. The MK III's are more useful for me now. As mentioned previously, like all MK series Boogies they are somewhat limited by the nature of their design. Despite their limitations they work very well for me.
    The stripe thing pertains only to the MK III's. MK IIC+'s didn't have stripes. There is only 1 version of a IIC+. MK III's however come in a number of versions designated by the stripe. I would agree with gainfreak the differences are minor. I have a couple of blue stripes and a red stripe. The differences in the amps are very subtle.
    The factory original C+'s are the most valuable. I would say that a MK IIC that was modded to a C+ would be very close to a factory C+. But earlier models may not be due to differences in circuit boards, transformers etc. If you want a C+ try and get an original if possible.

11. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have two MKIIC+ a 100 watt and a Simulclass. Great sounding amps. I think they sound darn good at reasonable volumes they get all their distortion from the preamp anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    I owned and gigged and recorded extensively with a Cherrywood Mark IIC that Mike B modded for me to a Cplus..Tim K at Guitar Trader in Red Bank NJ sold it to me for $650....Great Guy.....It was EXTREMELY sensitive to wall voltage, like most Boogies..I think that's because they are fixed bias on the cold side...Had it for 7 years in the 80's...Great amp for the time...Compromising channels..mine was a simulclass/graphic version...sounded better at low to medium volumes than at higher volumes, just like the 2 Rock I had...There are better sounding amps made today...Designs by Aiken, Fargen, DrZ, Fuchs, Zwengel, VHT, VAC, Div/13, Mojave, 65 Amps, ect ect have all upped the refinement of tone as we know it to far higher levels than ever before in the History of the Electric Guitar........

13. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I've owned three, two factory stock and one factory mod and they all sounded great. Easily one of the best high gain lead amps ever made.

14. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

I owned 4 or 5 and they are great amps.

In the end I became unhappy with the EQ'ed compressed tone. My 2204 and Diezel Herbert sounded more open.
    "Gain Boosts" aren't worth as much....:Devil