1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody ever play an all maple strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Woodshed, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

I remember reading an interview with Nigel Pulsford from Bush and he was commenting on how much more attack and tone they were getting from Gavin Rossdale's all maple Strat Plus than they could get from his alder 89 Strat Plus or his 58 LP Junior. I really love the metallic tones from Bush's later albums and I believe alot of it was maple strat through CAE OD100 amps. It makes me wanna find a Strat Plus neck and buy a Warmoth maple body for it. I really like the old strat plus pickup setup, red lace in the bridge especially. I like the newer necks, not sure why. Anybody else ever played a maple bodied strat with active pickups? Hope I can get some sort of feedback (pun intended!).

Scott

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

I've had an all maple Strat for some time. This is a Fender though from Japan. Listed as a Squier series on the headstock it was made when the current Fender company took over and has all American hardware incl. Pick ups.

It looks like a regular sunburst '57 Strat. It is not bright but has great attack to the notes - if anything the sustaining notes are on the dark side.

Ooops, just noticed you wanted active pick up response!

Trust this helps.

Best, Pete.

3. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

That's cool ,and a bit surprising. I assumed it would be WAY bright. I like that the attack was very pronounced.

Scott

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I built a Warmoth all maple strat for somebody a few years ago and it was a real eye opener as far as the actual tone vs the tone I expected. It was a "hollow" chambered maple body with figured maple cap, maple neck, and a set of Kinman's. I expected the guitar to be bright and somewhat thinner sounding, but found it was extremely well balanced and all pickup settings sounded very good. Kind of made me wish I had been able to keep it.;) It's still his #1.

Goes to show, you just never know until all the parts are put together. In this case, I *suspect* the chambered body complemented the tone of the maple to a large extent.

5. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

Any thoughts on a solid flame maple Warmoth body, see-through-blonde finish, maple Strat plus neck, red/silver/blue lace sensors? In my mind it is somewhat bright, very cutting with lots of teeth. It's kinda the guitar I always search ebay for but never find.

Scott

6. fullerplast

Sound like you found yourself a project....;)

7. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Wouldnt solid maple be really really heavy?

I know a guy who had one of those wierd Martin electrics that was mostly maple and that thing was an anchor.

H2H

8. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

That sucks. Oh well, maybe just regular maple and solid olympic white finish. I'm used to playing LP's so a heavy strat probably wouldn't bother me at all.

Scott

9. fullerplast

Not again...you don't give up, do you Gary? You really should have a link to your sad story in your sig so you don't need to piss on every thread that mentions Warmoth. You should also actually look at your orders before you give the parts to somebody to build for you, don't you think? No parts vendor will take returns *after* you build your guitar. You should know that.:rolleyes:

The Gary Ladd Story

10. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

Is there a anti-Warmoth pissing match I should know about?

Scott

11. fullerplast

Click on the link:
    The Gary Ladd Story

It will tell you all you need to know.....:rolleyes:

12. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I had one for a short while. It was a Hamer. Gorgeous flame body, all maple, active electronics (their own). I really wanted to love that guitar. Didn't like it at all; thin and bright, in a bad way. This was one of those "maybe I'll grow to like it" purchases; never happened.

Best thing about it was that Daddy's Junky Music gave me a full refund when I returned it (within 30 days).

/rick

13. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I had a solid maple strat for a while (Schecter body). Sounded great. Rather heavy. Not bright like everyone always thinks with solid maple guitars. In fact, darker than some alder / ash strats I have. Sounded very much like you expect a strat to sound. It had three singles (Fralins), 6 screw trem, maple neck with maple fingerboard (not a 1 piece neck...seperate fingerboard piece).

I also have a solid maple strat w/2 hums. So we're not talking real "strat" tone, either. However, also no brighter than comparable strats I have with alder / ash bodies.

How are they different than traditional strat woods? Honestly, the two guitars I own / owned have their own personality, but I don't hear anything I can attribute certainly to being a result of the maple bodies.

14. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

That's cool Gary. I just found USACG's site, how f&$#ing cool!!! I have been building virtual strat sll afternoon. Tomorrow, Tele's!

Scott

15. fullerplast

BS.

I'd like to see you back that claim up.

16. fullerplast

USACG makes very good stuff. Tommy used to work at Warmoth before he started the company. You won't go wrong with either company. Check lead times for whatever you order...plan on waiting 3-6 months. The Warmoth showcase is good if you want something right away and want to see the finished product before you buy.

17. drolling

drolling Member

Woodshed, I've got a Jorgenson Hellecaster w/solid maple body & p-bass style split-coil hum-cancelling pickups.

Body's pretty much identical in shape & size to a strat, but it's heavy. I mean really heavy. Heavier than a Norlin LesPaul.

A loud & dark sounding guitar, I usually slather it w/effects, as the base tone is less than spectacular.

Can't say what grade of maple was used, or even how many pieces, as it's got an opaque sparkle finish.

Based on my experience w/this guitar, I'd strongly suggest you have the body chambered. Unless you only play sitting down..

18. fred dons

fred dons Member

1 piece solid flame maple at warmoth usd 549[​IMG]

and another one for usd 569
    [​IMG]
    with a nice back
    [​IMG]

I have several solid maple bodies (warmoth, esp and claim)
    and they are my favourites (I expected my first maple body to be shrill sounding as well but instead I got a solid tone with nice overtones out of these guitars

19. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Nice looking grain, but that isn't even AA flame...

Call em up & get a price on a AAA - AAAAA solid FLAME maple body, I dare ya :p

20. mdog114

mdog114 Member

LMAO!