Anybody ever play the Fender Blues Deluxe RI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by VaughnC, Oct 2, 2006.

1. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Being that the BDRI's cab is large for a 1X12 (which probably translates to a decent bottom end) I got very curious about the amp and just sent for one on approval from MF. I'm looking for a reletively inexpensive, small, combo tube amp with non-boxy tone and decent clean headroom. Don't care much how the OD channel sounds. Anybody ever kick the Blues Deluxe Reissue's tires? At a gig? Thoughts?

2. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Man, I loved the one I tried at GC. Wound it up pretty good too, OD channel pffft. Who needs it. The cleans are GORGEOUS!

Played it for an hour with (what I ended up buying) a sweet PRS McCarty Trem.

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've used a friend's at jams. I'll throw in with big mike. I love 'em! (Not big mike, the amp. Well maybe big mike too, I've never met him ;) )

I use the clean channel with a Strat and an SG and it's great.

4. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Flattery will get you everywhere. LOL

Yup, killer amp. If I didn't turn into a boutique whore I'd probably have one.

5. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I have one and it's a killer little amp.The cleans are the best bang for the buck tweed sounds out there. I don't use the MV channel much.

Johnny

6. Norse

Norse Member

A friend of mine has one and in a small - med club it just sings!

7. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

I have one, and second the comment that it's the best bang for the buck for great clean sounds. I bet you will like it.

Dirty channel is kind of thin, but not bad if you back off the tone on the guitar a bit. It doesn't have much compression, so it's more touch sensitive than some. Sounds a little better (od) with my 335 copy than with the tele. It's more overdrive than distortion.

Dan

8. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

Passable cleans, forget it has an OD channel.

These amps excel when you turn them up. Great Bassman like breakup at high volumes.

The cleans are decent, but are spanked by vintage blackface cleans (such as my ProR)

9. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I bought one a few months ago when I wasn't even in the market.

My 335 copy loves it, both clean and surprisingly the dirt channel is decent.

My friends give me crap becaue I guess I have a bit of a rep as a booteek geek, but this is a great amp.

Only issue is that it is super loud for my applications. Last gig I used it I ran the volume on 1.5 and it was LOUD.

10. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

My BDRI has been my band practice amp, and I love it (as do my bandmates). I also don't use the OD channel, but if you like a BIG clean sound with not too much headroom, the BDRI is the amp for you.

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I played one for hours one night at a rehearsal studio. Never touched the drive channel, really liked it for clean and higher-up drive. Too many amps at home, or I'd buy one and stick in a CRex. This is an ideal amp for gigging. The right size and power, and if a truck backs over it you haven't lost some irreplacable.

12. glaswerks

glaswerks Gold Supporting Member

So does this mean my 93' Tweed Blues deluxe is now vintage and extremely desirable ? ;)

Gary

13. rockindillo

rockindillo Member

But has anyone A/Bed a reissue and an original BDL?

I have an original which I love to death. It's my harmonica amp and I love it to bits for that whole "Baby Bassman" vibe - I swapped out the baffle and fitted a pair of blue Jensens!
    A great harp sound and a pretty damned good guitar amp as well, though I have to concur about the "drive" channel - it's pretty grim.

The clean channel's definitely where it's all happening with this amp - it breaks up a lot earlier than the clean channel on the Hot Rod De Luxe and sounds far sweeter. (I also have JJ 6V6s fitted, bringing the output down to 30w and a lower gain preamp tube to match my Astatic mic)