• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anybody ever receive a NEW Gibson Les Paul that DIDNT need nut work done ?

Rock Fella

disregard used ones as these will most likely have any issues sorted out, I can speak from personal experience here, my former NEW 2001 R9 had a nut that was pathetically cut and not anywhere near the standard id expect for such a guitar at all .

The guitar im playing now is a 2001 R8 which the previous owner (who bought it new and is immensely skilled at working on guitars ) had to recut the nut to his satisfaction and it now has playability and tune stability to make grown men weep.

From conversations with dealers who sell production and historic gibsons they all raise their eyes at the standard of the nuts fitted to the guitars, none of them ever said that once you open the case, you had a gtr like a prs that had NO ALTERATIONS required, there was rarely a guitar that didnt need something looked at and this ranged from poorly cut nuts, poorly cut bridge saddles, gibson "setups " from hell , bridge mountings in wrong place...........etc etc

Im sure that gibson still sells gtrs in the volume that they do because they are "GIBSON" and thus they seem to be sitting on their arse and perhaps not being as fussy over QC as they should be.

Have any of you ever had a BRAND NEW Les Paul that needed nothing done to it at all ? Adversely, have any of you had a new lester that really should have had an issue sorted before it was shipped out of the factory ?

Jimmy

Mark Kane

Platinum Supporting Member
Guitar set up is a personal thing IMO. gibson doesn't know how I like mine set up so I do it myself and it works out great. I'd don't like depending on others.

indytruckboy

All of my Gibsons required a bit of graphite in the nut and then were fine.

Now their bridges are poopoo! All required work. Definitly one area they could work on is how the bridges are 'cut'. Every one I ever had required a bit of file work with a old string to smooth them out. Some string cuts were way to far to the edge of their units.

I see alot go through my luthier's shop and none are very impressive except for the historic reissues. Those are the only ones where it appears that everything was attended to properly.

DonW

Velocity Town Angel
Double Platinum Member
Yes, I purchased two new Les Pauls since 1975 that didn't need nut's repaired/replaced. However, I bought a brand new Gibson Explorer in 1976 that the nut was not quite 1/4 inch off center as it hung in the shop. My condition of purchase was that it be properly affixed. Great guitar after that. I don't know how they could have just taken it out of the box and hung it up w/o noticing. Oh yeah, now I remember. I took my Superlead in to get retubed 'cause at 18 I was too unstable to perform any maintenance myself. It came back to me with organ tubes in it. The owner was a Hammond organ player and the tech was off that day. That's how a guitar with a major problem gets hung in a store.

It's not only the LP's having this problem. 9 out of 10 of the last ES 335's I played the nut slots were not shaped properly and the strings bound on every one of 'em. That's an easy fix with the proper files, but paying $2700 for a new guitar I'd be a bit frustrated.

Everything else on these the 335's and LP's seems to be finished well. I guess they haven't made it back to the NUT Dept. for any retraining.

Thwap

Likely Baked
Platinum Supporting Member
Yes, I've owned 9 overall, none needed nut work.

LiveOak

Bought a new LP Standard that I had a professional luthier set-up for me and he said that the nut was fine. It plays like a dream, stays in tune and the intonation is spot on all up and down the neck, so I have no reason to doubt his evaluation. So yea, owner of a new Gibson over here that did not need nut work.

dazco

Everyone has a different opinion on what is or isn't right, especially height. For myself, i believe that the nut height should be the same as if there was a fret there instead of the nut. (some guitars DO have a fret there called a "zero fret") Pretty much every guitar you ever see on the shelf regardless of price is going to be higher than that. But IMO thats the correct way for a nut to be height-wise. The only reason i can see for for making them higher is to assure the slots don't wear thier way lower and start buzzing. Thats may well happen after a very long period, but thats why they sell nut material ! I do however thing a very very very slight bit higher is ok, but i'm talking VERY slight so that it doesn't affect the action negitivly enough to notice. So for whatever reason, new guitars are all in need of nut work as far as i'm concerned. By the way, as you probably know, any extra height at the nut causes the entire action to be incapable of being as low W/O buzzing than a guitar with the nut at the height i described.

Robotechnology

Gold Supporting Member
Both of the LP's that I bought had excellent nuts from the factory:

LP Standard Faded 60's (sold)
LP Supreme

ssimon64

My R7 need nut work. The slots are way too low and it buzzes like hell when you play open strings. It's not new though, it's a 2000 but I think that's the original nut.

TestierWheat

None of the Gibsons I have bought new needed nut work (LP Custom, LP Studio, Explorer, SG Classic, LP Junior, '58 LP VOS). To be fair, my friend bought a LP Standard that needed both nut and bridge work. The high e was bairly over the fingerboard. However, every Fender I have owned has either needed serious nut work or a completely new nut. Out of the three PRSi I have owned, my SAS needed nut work.

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Silver Supporting Member

I'm a Gibson whore, owned lots and still own some. I don't believe I've ever had a nut problem. I do get them all set up to my preferences when they arrive no matter what. Between personal preference and exposure to temperature changes during shipping I figure they should get a new setup anyway.

I did play an SG Special in a store one time that had the high e string slot cut too shallow and the string kept popping out, but in all my dozens and dozens (literally) of Gibsons I've personally owned, they have been fine.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom