Anybody ever try out the Fender Jazzmaster amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by VaughnC, Sep 17, 2006.

1. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

The Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight amp....thoughts? How tubey sounding/feeling?
    [​IMG]

2. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I have one and I just love it. It sounds and feels very tubey to me when modelling amps don't. Every instrument I've tried with it sounds great, even my electric mandolin. The only negatives I can think of are piddly: volume controls are really fussy at the lowest levels, a bit more effects control, and no way to mix reverb and tremolo on-board.

3. VaughnC

Thanks for the input goo....but another question if you don't mind? Most 1X12 amps I've tried have had a boxiness to their sound. If you know what I mean by said "boxiness", do you detect such in the Jazzmaster rig (if you use the Jazzmaster matching cab)?

I'm looking for a BIG clean, but not sterile, sound with excellent clean headroom and this amp looks like it has potential in that regard....if the tone is "right" of course.

4. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I think it's not quite as big sounding as my Rivera Chubster. Some of that could be attributed to the directional aspect of the JMUL cab and that I'm running it at the bottom of the volume dial.

BTW, there's a nice clip of the JMUL in action here: http://www.indoorstorm.com/product_info.php?products_id=3228

5. jeak

jeak Member

Dang, there was a fairly extensive thread about this amp some months ago, but I cannot find it now. Maybe it got nuked in the server meltdown. Anyway, I remember nothing but positive posts about it. I'm eager to hear one of these lightweight rigs.

6. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

The lightness _is_ profound. I can carry my guitar case in one hand, the cab in the other, with the head on a shoulder. Five minutes setup max, no warmup (well, five seconds or so).

7. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

A friemd of mine that is a pro musician has one on the way.

8. VaughnC

So does "non-pro" me....so we'll see how it goes. These 45 day approval periods are great for kicking tires/smelling corks ;).

9. charley

charley Member

What about an Acoustic Image head, like the Clarus. Best solid state sound I've ever heard, and it comes in a small package weighing less than 5 lbs.

10. SteveR

SteveR Member

Steelbender has spoken well of this amp also. I'm hoping he may do a spotlight on it sometime in the future.

Steve

11. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I've never tried something like an Acoustic Image with an electric guitar. It definitely lacks the (very useable) gain channel of the Jazzmaster though.

12. sotto

sotto Member

Well, I went into Guitar Center on Sunset over the weekend with the idea to buy one if I liked it. It didn't make me wanna pull out my credit card. When I got home and plugged into my Tone King Imperial and cranked it up a tiny bit, I realized why I left the Jazzmaster at the store.

13. VaughnC

Places like Musicians Friend, American Music, etc. have 45 day approval periods so all you'd loose would be the shipping if you don't like it. After hearing the sound clip, curiousity got the best of me and I just ordered the JM amp to see what the feel is like with my input and my favorite Strat.

14. jeak

jeak Member

Vaughn, I hope you'll post a review once you've kicked those Jazzmaster tires. I never did warm up to the Cube 60 like you did, but I'll be interested in any comparisons between it and the Fender. I know they are very different amps, but it might be an interesting A/B anyway.

15. VaughnC

Will do jeak. The Roland is by no means a perfect amp but, as a clean platform for my pedal board, with my input, the amp just seems to work for me. However, maybe, just maybe the JM might not have the shortcomings that the C60 has as there are some things I don't like about the amp.

16. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I almost bought a Cube 60. It's by far the best sounding of the modelers, but I didn't like the effects, the UI or the industrial design. I know it sounds dumb, but if it doesn't look or feel pleasing to me, I don't want it around.

17. jeak

jeak Member

Same here. I do think the Cube 60 is a cool little amp, but I think it would be even cooler if Roland made it look a bit more vintage without making it look phony.

I'm not wild about the Jazzmaster's tapered, sunburst styling either, but at least it has a real diamond-cut pilot light. This may sound dumb too, but to my aesthetic psyche, it's amazing how much the glow of a real jewel lamp adds credibility to an amp. :cool: