Anybody Familiar With Shulz Power Soak?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by UMT, Jan 16, 2008.

1. UMT

UMT Member

I just came across 2 Shulz Power Soaks and have been playing with them. One question I have: Alot of attenuators have a wattage rating (50 watt, 100 watt etc) but these don't and I can seem to find if there is any wattage restrictions when using these. Anybody familiar with these and aware of any wattage restrictions?

They seem to work real nice without sucking a bunch of tone even at heavy attenuation.

Thanks,
    UMT

2. Swarty

Swarty Member

I've had one on my bench for a bzillion years... It lists amps on the back panel... Marshall, Orange, Hiwatt, Ampeg V4, MusicMan HD130 and RD150, Fender 100w Twin Reverb... etc.... I use mine as a "dummied" load (highest setting is says phones). Mine sucks tone big time, couldn't imagine using it out, but that is my take on any attenuator I've tried.

3. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I used the Sholz Power soak for years and even with some solid state amps. Everybody has a different opionion about these type of units. They tend to sound best if you only attenuate to about 4-8 db. When you get too far down your speakers won't sound right as well as you ears don't hear the same through all the various volume levels. The main thing to keep in mind is that if you crank a 100 watt amp all the way up and then attenuate it down to a whisper YOU will not be playing the same and this is part of the perceived mushiness that people experience. I do some gigs where they have a mic'd up amp that is not attenuated off stage and you only hear yourself through head phones and it is God-awful to play through but if you hear it recorded it sounds pretty good.

4. 89Custom

89Custom Member

I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing!

5. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I used to have one back in the early 80s. I used it on my NMV JCM800 50 watt head.

Big Time Tone Sucker! Lost all of the highs.

6. UMT

UMT Member

Hey, I'm looking for information, not some smart assed remark.

7. YOGA64

YOGA64 Supporting Member

Hi there,
    I've used one since they came out, and I LIKE IT.
    They are to be used with amps up to 100 watts, not more than that, that was the warning on the original instructions that came with it.
    I hope I've been of help
    :BOUNCE

8. UMT

UMT Member

Thanks Yoga, that is what I was looking for as I plan to sell these right away.

I currently use a Weber Mass, have owned a Marshall Powerbrake and these PowerSoaks work as good, if not better than the Marshall PB. I understand that anytime you add attenuation, you are bound to lose some 'tone' but how much and how important it is is a vast matter of opinion.

Thanks Again!
    UMT

9. 89Custom

89Custom Member

Sorry Colonel Klink, I think the tampex in on isle 4.

10. UMT

UMT Member

Are you smart enough to figure out: ES & D, MF????

UMT

11. 89Custom

89Custom Member

Well if you were asking about the Sholtz Power soak, why didn't you say so in the first place? You asked about the Shulz Powersoak, of which I responded appropriately. Looks like you ain't a member of the brain trust yourself.

12. UMT

UMT Member

Seems like everybody here knew what I was talking about, except you!

I make a mistake typing one letter and you feel like it's time to tee off?

UMT

13. SFK

SFK Member

14. UMT

UMT Member

Oops. Looks like you misspelled it also: According the item sitting on my desk it's: Power Soak by Tom Scholz

Back to that brain trust issue..................

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

hoooooogaaaannnn!!!!

16. 89Custom

89Custom Member

I aint got one sitting on my desk.

17. Randy

Randy Member

18. UMT

UMT Member

Allright, my apologies. If the original comment was a Hogan Heroes reference, I totally missed it as I haven't seen that show in 20 years.

UMT

19. 89Custom

89Custom Member

OK, that's cool... I was thinking you were just one of the humorless people that we have around here...

20. Zero

Zero Member

I'm on my second one. I sold my first one that I bought in 1983, version 1. I have now the version 2 which has a "Tube" or "Solid State" switch on the back. Came in original box with all papers too. By the way, the instructions say it's safe to 120 watts RMS.