Anybody gig with a clip-on tuner in a band setting?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 89strat, Nov 18, 2018.

1. 89strat

89strat Member

Yes, this question has been asked, but there have been new improvements in clip-on's and pedalboards are getting smaller, so I wanted to know if there are any updates?

Just to Add - this post pertains specifically for live performance on an electric guitar, in a band setting.

I've tried to use the NS Micro Clip On for my electrics, but wasn't too good with the rest of the band playing or noodling. The NS Micro Clip is great on my taylor acoustic though. And now they make the NS Micro Clip-Free which screws on to a tuning peg hole, maybe that might work better with vibrations, I don't know.

I recently picked up the TC Electronics uni-tune clip on and the D'Addario eclipse. The TC Electronics is great and so is the D'Addario Eclipse. However, I haven't made the full commitment by going live gig with them yet, just tried them out at rehearsal. My issue with these two is that they didn't really fit on my PRS and just kind of fits on my les paul, but I always feel like they'll fall off, or I'll lose them. So why not use a pedal? I do, but I'm trying to scale down a bit and go to a smaller board.

2. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

You’re going to get a bunch of people telling you they don’t work in a band setting, yet I’ve seen them on many big stages with national acts, including guys not supported by a guitar tech.

I use a pedal tuner most gigs, but even the little D’Addario/Planet Waves tuners have worked fine live.

70 Mach 1 and Ren007 like this.
  3. Rusty Dutch

Rusty Dutch Supporting Member

I did for a while in one of my bands when I was attempting to run a small board, it was fine, just a little bit slow.

I used the little D’Addario clip on. I’ve heard the latest TC one is better.

In the last year or so I dropped the small board and cart the regular board around for all projects, so having a pedal tuner is no hardship.

4. Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy

Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy Member

5. Class5

Class5 Member

I use that tiny D'Addario model and it works fine, and it doesn't look stupid.

KenMorgan and Kingpin2 like this.
  6. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I have used a TC Polytune Clip in a band setting a few times when I was tired of hauling gear and decided to quit using a pedalboard. Worked fine and was much lighter than my loaded Pedaltrain.

Wolfboy1 and bobbradley like this.
  7. MikeMcCourt

MikeMcCourt Member

I use both a TU-3 and a Polytune - if only to lend to the bass or other guitar player who is driving me nuts being out of tune.

HipUncle likes this.
  8. beastly

beastly Member

Unitune works great for me. One less pedal in the chain. Only problem is remembering to pack it.

5cr33nager likes this.
  9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I have. I use my NS Micro as my current choice when I playbwithout a pedalboard.
    I previously had a Gen 1 Peterson strobo clip. Great tool. But I would pre tune, then remove the tuner to perform. Also on short gigs like festival/opening act where a stripped down setup was an advantage.

10. specialkindofhell

specialkindofhell Member

Even if they do work in a band setting, it's the number one mark of an amateur to use them.

woof*, 8len8 and Dubious like this.
  11. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

I bought a bunch of the Planet Waves micro tuners after a band mate gave me an extra. They work pretty good. I don't have a tuner pedal, so they're pretty convenient and a two pack is $22.00

12. Kingpin2

Kingpin2 Member

I prefer a pedal tuner for gigging, but if its a jam, my planet waves clip on is tiny and discreet.

Class5 likes this.
  13. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

I use the TC Polytune live and it works fine.

14. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I’ve seen Stu Hamm and Michael Landau using them. That says it all for me.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  15. PvtKingpin

PvtKingpin Member

I use the TC Polytune live, nothing wrong with using clip-ons for gigging.
    Problem with mine is it eats batteries like crazy.
    That's probably the only reason I would consider a pedal, just so I can connect it to my power supply.
    Anyone else have this problem?

16. richey88

richey88 Member

All day. Haven’t owned a pedal tuner in years...just saying

Wolfboy1 and bobbradley like this.
  17. y2d

y2d Member

I tried rehearsing (small room) this week with a Polytune clip and it was terribly slow! I will stick to my pedal tuner...

18. Dreams Burn Down

Dreams Burn Down Member

In a world of bad vibes on stage, using a clip-on might be the worst.
    Maybe acceptable in blooze jam circles, but playing originals to people who have paid actual money and time to come and see your band? Pedal tuner or immediate dismissal.
    We all struggle with cool, but at least TRY.

Dubious and HERSCHEL like this.
  19. gennation

gennation Member

Pretty much every gig for years, I also have a Sonic Research ST300 on my board. I set the st300 to the six string setting with strobe. I used the clip on to dive bomb strings using the tuner head/peg...then as I bring the string back in tune I can get see it coming up to pitch. I also use it to drop tune and retune the guitar. Remember, I use the six string setting in the st300 so the clip on works great in both situations.

Also, if I’m not by my pedal board I can tune where I’m at with the clip on.

For my straight up jazz gigs I just bring a guitar and an amp and plug straight in. In this case, no pedalboard, so I just bring the clip on.

20. anuj

anuj Member

TC Polytune clip, flipped backwards so I'm viewing it under the headstock. Literally no actual audience member cares, and the saved pedalboard space is massively worth it to me.