Anybody gig with a clip-on tuner in a band setting?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 89strat, Nov 18, 2018.

1. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

Really?

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  2. middy

middy Member

It’s never been a problem for me.

3. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

So, it’s “cooler” to not have a headstock tuner but, out-of-tune is ok.

willyboy and kwicked like this.
  4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I like the mute feature of a pedal tuner and I am not a fan of how the clip-on looks onstage. It's just a visual preference for me... I am odd.

5. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I really like the NS Micro's, but after a couple gigs with them I went back to a pedal tuner. Just too slow and jumpy if there is any atmospheric noise.

Now using the new D'addario pedal tuner, it takes up very little board space and has a nice big display. Much better for gigs..

6. burns

burns Member

I have the NS tuner but it interferes with the few times I use behind the nut bends. Have to get the tuner that goes on the other end of the headstock like Albert Lee (now if I could only play like him).

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  7. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Same here. NS micro clip on works fine, even with the band going, just have to remember to turn down volume. Never had a single issue, carry an extra but haven't had to use it. I have a nano board so get another cool effect instead of a tuner pedal, no contest. Amateur, well, if you let the small clip on band you can see ( i have the actual display behind and very tight to the headstock) ruin something for you, you have other issues.

corbeano and richey88 like this.
  8. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

I use a pedal tuner now but I have used clip ons in the past. Most of them work just fine BUT they don't do very well on basses, specifically the low E. That's a pretty consistent issue I've seen but the way to get past that is to play the 12th fret harmonic on the low E and tune from there, which works fine. The problem is most bass players don't use many pedals or let alone a pedal board so it's really not practical to use a pedal tuner.

I only like the small low profile ones that don't look stupid hanging off the guitar. The micro Daddario Planet Waves tuner is great and very discrete. But if you've got a pedalboard with room on it and you run around playing out a lot, I think a pedal tuner is the best way to go. But at the same time I believe in being prepared so it's not a bad idea to keep a clip on in your gig bag, just in case.

Anyone who says they're not accurate or professional is just wrong. The list of touring and gigging pros who use them on a regular basis in quite long. Someone mentioned Michael Landau, he's a beast. I'm pretty sure I've seen Scofield using one pretty regularly, that dude's not playing out of tune.

Wolfboy1 and CRBMoA like this.
  9. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

I have tuners built into my modellers but I have decided that I will always have a clip on tuner on my guitar at all gigs just because I don’t want to be judged on image, but music. Lots of people are willing to claim that they would dismiss bands just for the guitarist or bassist having a clip on tuner on... People willing to judge someone on that are not people I want to please with my music!

Call me a contrarian, I don’t care xD I think judging people on image is grounds for me to call people something that sounds like the first part of contrarian xD

Fuzzr likes this.
  10. AudioEcstasy

AudioEcstasy Member

Clip-ons changed my life, b/c I could get that nasty pedal tuner out of my chain. They are a GODSEND in the studio.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  11. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Member

I think that honor goes to the music stand or music stand + chairs.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Paul Gilbert definitely uses one for his online lessons. I believe he uses them live too (cause I don't remember seeing a pedal tuner on his last rig rundown I saw).

He's not an amateur.

13. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

A chair? There’s nothing more Punk Rock than sitting and playing.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  14. 89strat

89strat Member

Last weekend I used the D'Addario NS clip on on my strat, and the clipless one on my les paul. The clipless one is the same thing as the clip on, except it screws on to a tuner peg. Actually pretty cool because the audience can't tell if you an amateur or not. Lol. Worth checking these out. I still kept a polytune mini on the board for backup and to check the tunings. The NS worked slightly slower than the polytune, but no other tuning issues. For the small number of times I'm tuning my guitar between songs, the Clip-on does the job nicely, and vibrations from the drums and bass didn't affect the tuning.

If you don't want people, or other forumites to get the wrong idea about your professionalism (intended sarcasm), check out the d'addario clipless. Especially if you have a PRS, I put one on my prs also, and it's not visable and fits better than any of the other clip ons I've tried.

15. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Personally, I thought it was a little weird until I compiled three boards.
    And now building a fourth.
    I don't consider it weird anymore, now I think it's crazy practical.
    And I actually quite even like the look now.

These guys are currently on a world tour.
    Just sayin'.
    [​IMG]

david57strat and bobbradley like this.
  16. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Welcome to the future. Yes, I really like the Peterson. You are right, it's tricky to find the spot on the PRS. I have tuner pedals too so I ain't got no excuses.

Stomp likes this.
  17. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Does anybody really think an audience notices a headstock tuner?

18. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

I've gone to the micro because I got sic of sporting a snark all the time. I've got a couple screw-ons in a bag behind me I haven't reached for yet. I like the behind the head stock thing and find it convenient.

19. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

When I bring my amp along to gigs, I use a smaller board. Just two pedals + clip on tuner.
    For me, it makes no sense having a true bypass tuner. You either throw in a TU-3 for the buffer or go clip-on.

20. david57strat

david57strat Member

I've already said my peace about clip-on tuners, in another thread, but it applies here, as well; so I'll just cut and paste:

I used to despise clip-ons, just on principle, because they weren't very accurate. Many still aren't. That's one reason they're so cheap. If you're going to use one, use a good one:

[​IMG]
    If you're sitting at a computer, and you're not seeing the picture of a polytune Clip, you're not alone. I'm not, either, on my computer - but it shows up just fine, with all of the other missing computer pictures, on my iPhone.

No idea why.

[​IMG]
    This shot was taken about five feet away. Its' really difficult to even tell it's installed - but I still refuse to use one, on-stage.

[​IMG]
    Here's the same tuner, from about a foot, or so away. Pretty unassuming.

[​IMG]
    I used to use these before I bought a pedal tuner. This is actually a very recent picture that I took, as a broke out these tuners, hooked them up, to run simultaneously with my polytune, just to test, to see if they were still working, after years of non-use. They work fine, but they're not nearly as accurate as my polytune 2.

When I use the pedal tuner, I use it in strobe mode, which is far more accurate than any BOSS tuner I've ever used before, or that is currently in production. So, I guess I'm a tc electronic convert, now. I find them a lot brighter and easier to read, from a distance, too.

But, for gigs, I never use a clip-on. I prefer to use a solid pedal tuner, but not because of the supposed dork factor:

[​IMG]
    tc electronic poltytune 2 noir - extremely accurate, and reliable. Easy to read, even on a brightly-lit stage, or in sunlight.

About the only time I like to use a clip-on is when I'm throwing a tuner in my acoustic case, to jam with someone, with no effects or electronics whatsoever - which is very rare. I almost always play, plugged in (even with my acoustic/electric - I love the toys and the options available to me, with effects).

One thing I really hate about my clip-on tuner is that the battery-saving feature makes the tuner shut off after about five minutes (?), automatically. That drives me nuts. I'm accustomed to a tuner that is always powered, and always giving me a read-out, even when I'm playing.

Of course, I never tune with sound going through the P.A. (or my amp). That's just an unacceptable practice, at a gig, as far as I'm concerned. Nobody wants to hear a guy tuning his ****ing guitar - EVER.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019