Anybody gig with a clip-on tuner in a band setting?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 89strat, Nov 18, 2018.

1. david57strat

david57strat Member

Just out of curiosity, who are these guys?

2. david57strat

david57strat Member

Yes! Tuning, out loud, on-stage, is unprofessional, and just downright annoying. Spare your audience the grief, and tune silently.

Personally, I don't like having my pedal tuner in my guitar chain. That way, I can always have it on, and tune whenever I feel like it (with sound muted, of course. I won't subject my audience to me tuning out loud). I'll mute my sound with the volume pedal, and still have a signal going to the tuner.

Also, a lot of people seem to be hell-bent on using their tuners as a buffer, but I have many pedals, some of which are already set for buffered bypass, so that's really not an issue for me. I don't need that out of a tuning pedal. The pedal is so small, I've never seen it as much of a space hog, in my set-up.

What I need, out of a tuner, is something that's fast, accurate, easy to read in any kind of environment (including a bright stage, or the sun, for outdoor gigs), and that I don't have to turn on, every time I want to use it. The polytune 2 mini noir is that tuner, for me.

I'll still carry the polytune clip, just in case I want to use it, but rarely do.

3. Rdg178

Rdg178 Member

Wait till you’re 65 years old and still love to play. Your memory goes and music stands are great. Close your eyes and enjoy the music. It doesn’t look good?! Really?! Get off your ass and dance

4. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Pedal tuner
    At a open mic yes because I don’t use s board but in s band setting
    Use a pedal tuner
    No music stands or clip ons required

5. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

It’s all I use live but I have pretty good pitch. So I don’t need the best solutions. I don’t get tuning complaints, just volume, lol.

To be honest, in most of my highest paying or steady gigs, I used no tuners at all. Why? It was an acoustic duo and the fiddler has perfect pitch like a savant. I only have relative pitch, but he would have killed me if I was out of tune often. He is literally as good as a tuner.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

As mentioned before, clip ons can be a challenge for bass even in a quiet room.

If I had guaranteed green room, a tech or the ability to demand 'Silence!', maybe.

I am a sideman.

I just need to be able to play.

7. bobbradley

bobbradley Supporting Member

You guys use tuners??? We tune to eAch other at whatever pitch the instruments are currently living at..

Taking retro to its logical conclusion
    :p

8. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

No clip-on tuners allowed, at Madison Square Bedroom.

9. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

The only reason I dislike clip-on tuners is that users so often have to ask the entire room/stage to be quiet so they can tune. Went through it multiple times earlier this week. If you use a clip-on tuner and don’t do that - great! But if you’re one of those players who needs silence to tune with a clip-on ... perhaps a pedal tuner (or other tuner that you can plug into) is a better choice.

CRBMoA likes this.
  10. rumbletone

Or when you’re playing a chart for an original tune or arrangement that you’re seeing for the first time at the gig. Though I suspect those who rally against music stands haven’t spent as much time reading sheet music as some ...

11. david57strat

david57strat Member

I see music stands as just another barrier, between performer and audience. I don't feel there should be any barriers between the performer and his audience. But then, I've also always felt that a musician should be prepared to play a piece, without sheet music, long before stepping foot on a stage, or any other performance venue. I sheet music as a crutch.

Most of my learning has been by ear, and repetition. When I started taking classical piano lessons, a zillion years ago (well - forty-seven years ago lol), it was sheet music - until I knew the piece, then I never really needed it again, for that piece.

My piano teachers weren't too happy about that.

This is a debate I've had, for many years, with many classical musicians. I cannot understand, for the life of me, why so many of them seem to absolutely need to have the sheet music, in front of them, so they can actually play the piece, note-for-note. I just don't get that.

After playing the piece a hundred times over, don't you know it, by now, without that damned sheet music?

I always hated having to read sheet music, and felt if you really know the song, you shouldn't need to look at a piece of paper, to figure out which notes to play. Most music is fairly obvious. Some is more intricate, and I suppose sheet music could help, there.

Still, I've always felt the song, after you've had a chance to practice it, should be implanted in your heart and brain, and it should come naturally. I feel all the more that way about it now, as an adult.

I can think of one clear exception (and I'm sure there are others), and that is studio work. I can see how being a phenomenal chart reader would be a plus, if you're doing session work, where you're essentially a hired gun; but I've never done session work, so I've never really been in the type of situation where it was required.

Obviously, opinions vary, and you are welcome to yours, brother.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. rumbletone

But how do you ‘really know’ or prepare to play an original composition/arrangement that’s never been recorded and exists only in the mind of the composer and on the charts he or she wrote for you to play and just handed to you? Are you telepathically connected to the composer??

CRBMoA likes this.
  13. jblake

jblake Member

I have used my Polytune clip on stage when I wanted to go without pedals, but if I’m bringing a pedalboard anyway, I’d rather have the pedal tuner.

14. Mike Alan

Mike Alan Member

I see many bands at First Avenue with clip on tuners. My guess is when the specialkindofhell/Dreams Burn Down duo comes through we will see none of that nonsense.

15. david57strat

david57strat Member

Well - like I said, there are exceptions. I added that, later, to my post.

In instances where I was working on original music with one composer (singer/songwriter/keyboardist), he played what he had (on his keyboard, with his vocals, etc., and he already had drums and bass sequenced in on his keyboard), and said, "I need your parts (leads, fills, or whatever) here", and we worked through the intricacies of the tune, on the spot, together - live.

The chordal arrangements became obvious, after hearing them a number of times, but the rest was usually up to me. I've never been put in a box, where I had to play something exactly as they wrote it. For that, I was very thankful; thankful to have had the trust of that other musician. If what I was playing didn't work for him, he'd just tell me, and we'd keep stabbing away at it, until it did. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

No sheet music or lead sheets were ever used, between us. He wasn't a big sheet music kind of guy, either. Except for the parts I could hear from his keyboards, it was all in his head - and that was fine with me.

No, I'm most assuredly not telepathic lol. I know, you weren't really asking me that.

I do have a fantastic ear, though, and I'm intuitive about my playing, and what I feel will fit the mood of the song, which helps greatly. Some musicians just do that, and others have to have the sheet music, or they can't seem to play a note.

It doesn't always work out in the first tries (when learning a new original piece), but it eventually all comes together, and very nicely. Granted, that takes some time. It doesn't usually happen, on the first go-around.

Now, if you're talking about pulling off an original piece, live, in front of an audience, with no notice, and with no rehearsal, I won't do it. I'm not that confident. But, I view that as session ("hired gun") work, and I've already explained my take on that, very clearly.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. Dreams Burn Down

Dreams Burn Down Member

Man, I forgot about this thread! First Avenue in MN? I used to play at Triple Rock(RIP) in your town. Pedal tuner every time.

Mike Alan likes this.
  17. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

I'd rather have a tuner on my board because there's no need for a battery. Also I'm not sure clip on ones work as well.

I also use a music stand. The only live music I play is at church and I think having the music there is appropriate. I'm not a professional musician and I have a job, etc. so having charts helps.

david57strat likes this.
  18. david57strat

david57strat Member

Agreed. That is another clear exception in which I've used chord sheets and a stand. It's been quite a number of years, since I've played P&W music, in a church setting. I would gladly do it again, if I had a semi-regular work schedule, and my weekends, free. I usually work on weekends, though.

19. straightblues

straightblues Member

I just can't get them to work reliably on a loud stage. I know others that use them, but I can't. We play quickly between songs and I can't wait around for them to track. Then the bass player hit a note and I am screwed. Not to mention vibrating stages.

20. david57strat

david57strat Member

I've used the polytune Cilp on my P-Bass, with no tracking issues; but that was in the quiet of my room. Also, that bass has never left the house, since I purchased it (and will not, until I get a proper case for it. I don't believe in gig bags, other than just as fancy dust covers, for instruments. I'm old school, that way).