Anybody gig with a clip-on tuner in a band setting?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 89strat, Nov 18, 2018.

1. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

I just remembered that my other minor issue is my #1 is a fiver and clip ons wouldn't reliably track a low B.

I would imagine they are better now, but my kit is pretty solid.

2. david57strat

david57strat Member

What kind of clip-ons were you using? I checked out the spec's on the polytune Cilp and the tuning range is supposedly from A0 (27.5 Hz) to C8 (4186 Hz). The low B string string on a 5-string bass is supposed to be at 30.868 Hz.

I can't really verify how well it tracks that frequency, since I only have a 4-string, and the low end on that is 41.204 Hz.

Tuning accuracy – Strobe tuning mode:
    ±0.02 Cent

Pretty respectable. I waited a really long time, before investing in a tuner that could finally out-do my old TU-12 and TU12EX tuners that I had used, for years. I'd never have purchased the tc tuners, otherwise.

Tuner technology really has come a long way, in recent years.

3. kakev

kakev Member

Clip-on tuners on stage are turn-off. There’s no excuse for disrespecting your audience. Constant tuning in between every song is another no-go. Set-up your guitar. Ugly clothes, number one tell tale sign of a amateur. Or overweight, I did not pay money to see your belly and double chin.

woof* and MoonshineMan like this.
  4. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

If things ever get boring, you can watch the notes change in "real time" on the backlit screen - "aw f***! I was supposed to play an Ab there...." then it's time to look furtively around to see if anyone noticed.

Just be careful that you don't get one with unhelpful button placements - I had one that had a pitch change pad on the back of the readout casing and while clipping it onto the headstock, or while positioning it, it was possible to unwittingly drop your readout to Eb or worse.

5. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

John McLaughlin caps off his lifetime among the amateur league with a Final Tour that commences in late 2017....he laments that he's never been quite able to make the pro circuit adding pensively that "something has been holding me back...."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    geek-mo, RGB, mattthehoople and 2 others like this.
  6. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

I have a Snark, works fine and I really don't care if it looks attractive or not.

david57strat likes this.
  7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

“I wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then”

I guess ignorance is bliss, never knew clip on tuners were so un cool. I just gave away my spare pedal tuner I would have used for my small board to a friend. So next reined planning to use the Kong clip on tuner. Now I will have to use it in disguise. Tune before playing, then put it in my pocket. :) :)

8. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Tuner distortion is part of my sound.

9. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

Totally agree. When ugly people are allowed to make music, the art suffers.
    But isn’t suffering good for art?

10. germs

germs Member

i used a Snark for years when i did the minimal signal chain thing - and i was made fun of relentlessly by bandmates.

back on the pedalboard now, and honestly a buffered tuner is a great thing for the average signal chain.

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

This is kinda funny. Music stand being a sign for amateur? It all depends on the gig, but the guys that can read in town are the top professionals. Many gigs you can't get without being able to at least read charts... this is because the time available to prep the band is minimal so the level of musicianship needs to be high enough to go to the gig with little to sometimes no rehearsal. Plus, many of these are one off gigs where if you took the time to memorize all the music your pay per hour would be extremely low...

I've done gigs where the first time I played with the band was when I walked on stage. Charts required.

Also - here's Bill Frisell, a rank amateur...

[​IMG]

12. Mike Alan

Mike Alan Member

No ugly clothes or obesity with these guys. I bet you could stare at these fellas all night long.
    [​IMG]

CRBMoA likes this.
  13. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Khruangbin.
    Those tuners never leave those instruments.
    Any video you see of them, they're there.

geek-mo likes this.
  14. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Man - what’s the chances that all the band members got testicular elephantitis at the same time ...and before a photo shoot. In my day, it was just the occasional cold sore...

geek-mo likes this.
  15. kakev

kakev Member

Why on earth I’d like to stare H&M catalogue all night?

16. kakev

kakev Member

In the old days blues was more or less about suffering. Nowadays I see a lot of blues players who are suffering from obesity. Things used to be better.

17. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

You don't need a pedal tuner, if you don't gig.

[​IMG]

geek-mo likes this.
  18. '90s Pacifica

'90s Pacifica Member

Why all the hate for tuning out loud? The gigs I attended in my distant youth were all punctuated by the guitarist/s quickly playing each string's harmonics to test tuning, and adjusting where necessary. To me that's the sound of live music. Why would you scoff at people tuning their guitar? Tuners are great - don't get me wrong - but why judge people who tune by ear?

MoonshineMan likes this.
  19. phoghat

phoghat Member

I think headstock tuner manufacturers are going in the wrong direction. Instead of trying to make them more discreet, they should go for more ostentatious. Big, bedazzled things. Headstock jewelry. :)

For me, they're a non-starter. The mute function of a stomp tuner is necessary for switching guitars on the gig.

20. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I think you're onto something. Like, have them shoot frickin' lasers and holograms and stuff.

'90s Pacifica and phoghat like this.