Anybody gig with a keyboard player that giged with a Hammond B3?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by newking70, Jun 22, 2019.

1. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

Did you have to help them move it? What was the experience like?

2. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

I sometimes gig with a guy here that almost always brings his legit B3 and Leslie. Fantastic player, and what a sound!! He has the right dolly and a ramp system for loading it in his van. I always offer to help, but he usually declines and doesn't seem to struggle with it too much. FWIW he is 50ish and overweight.

3. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

Cut down B3 with one, and a cut down M3 with another.

Yes the band would help.

Yes it is worth it. The sound is glorious!

4. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

My guy has a system for loading in and out of his car and the venue. Never asks for help. Yes the sound is glorious.

5. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

6. dst03

dst03 Member

We were young. We were strong. We got the B3 for free, but had to haul it down from the church loft.
    We dragged it up and down spiral staircases, rickety exterior stairs, and wherever it needed to go. We did buy the newer Leslie unit (that had 2 enclosures - tweeters and bass).

As nice as the new keyboards are, there is something special in the real B3, Fender Rhoades combination we had back then. My ears can still easily pick out the real thing. At that age, anything for rock and roll!

Mugs, newking70, Bhobb and 3 others like this.
  7. drewl

drewl Member

Oldies band with horns and Hammond/Leslie.
    Talk about fat sound!

Singer and horn players helped move it since they didn't have nothing but mic and horns.
    Plus they helped move the PA, they were big dude's.

8. Pete Cage

Pete Cage Member

The pattern is clear to see
    When it's time to load out the B
    The guys from the band
    Run off to the can
    Simultaneously

As was pointed out before: we were young and strong, and oh, what a sound!

Badtone, crambone and Dig ? like this.
  9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Back in my youth our keyboardist had a C, which is like a B but heavier. I'll always remember the four of us carrying it up three flights of stairs at the VFW for a Teak dance in college.
    I doubt that. The clonewheels and Leslie sims keep getting better and better....

10. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Member

I played in a band during the 80's with a keyboardist on a B3. It was heavy, but two guys could heft it up into the van. It was worth it!

derekd likes this.
  11. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

In the 70s and 89s when we were young and strong, I helped my brother haul his B3, Leslie, and anvil case with a Howard Dumble built 100 watt tube power amp to gigs and rehearsals in Bakersfield where we live and even to SIR on Santa Monica Blvd. for a few consecutive nights. Talk about a beast.
    Now he uses a B2/ Leslie in his living room for rehearsal and a Porta B/Leslie combo for gigs.
    The B3 is in his garage under a tarp next to a C3 and a 1919 Oldsmobile.

12. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Not a B3 but an M3. We called it "The Inevitable" because it was inevitable that we would have to move it. Four guys, one on each corner and a lot of grunting and groaning.

tubedude likes this.
  13. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

yeah, a long time ago. Wont do it again without roadies.

14. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Used to play with a keyboardist that had a B3, but thankfully left it in his basement. He did, however, bring a full-size Leslie to every gig... which myself and the Bass player would have to move, cuz the keyboardist said he had a “bad back”.

It did sound great, but not so much that we would’ve loved never having to move it again

15. sideman

sideman Member

Twice. One guy, like the fellows cited above, had a rig set up in a van that allowed him to get it in and out on his own. The thing is, in addition to the B3 you need the Leslie cabinet - also a lug. The second player kept his Hammond and Leslie at the club where we had a weekly residency - it was in back under a cover. Note that keyboard manufacturers have been working for years to come up with a portable digital keyboard that sounds like a B3. A player I know that follows those developments closely says that they are getting very close - he recently bought a new digital keyboard that sounds really close.

16. derekd

derekd Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I sure hope that garage is climate controlled and rodent proof!

Tomo El Gato and Matt Sarad like this.
  17. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Get a rolling cart and help the boy out.
    While its true that modern synths can emulate a B3 and Rhodes well, there's nothing like hear a Leslie "live" in the room. My younger musician friends are always looking for them. A lot of AME / gospel churches still use them.

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  18. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

In 72-73 our guy had an A3. And Leslie. Even had the wooden thing to move it. We all gathered around for the moving communal experience called “Hammond Time”. Not fun but sounded great. He got tired of it and got a Rhodes.

A guy from here has a cut down Hammond built into this giant metal case with wheels. He can usually set it up himself. He does use house organ when touring and a Nord for some things. His playing and gear sense are so good he sounds great on it all.

Martino tells that he saw Wes Montgomery and another guy moving the Hammond on stairs.

19. halliganjoel

halliganjoel Member

I played with a dude in the early 00's who brought an X3 (the easy part) with a proper wood leslie cabinet (the hard part) to every gig. He had a well rehearsed dolly situation. I was still doing half stacks at the time (ouch my back, vehicle, ears, and wallet) and the bass player, who I still play with was doing the 8x10 thing (not anymore mercifully). What I remember the most was that anyone was allowed to help load the 8x10 but band only touched the leslie cab.

That keyboard player has since passed on. He was a cool guy and goshdamn that rotating speaker cabinet was worth the load in.

20. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

Yes and it is really something great to experience when the band is on and that Hammond is permeating the space. Worth all the help required to load in and out IF the guy playing the Hammond really knows how to play.

Tomo El Gato likes this.