Anybody gig with a keyboard player that giged with a Hammond B3?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by newking70, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I roadied for a guy who had the classic B3/pair of 122s setup, classic rock, big venues band.

It was heavy, but the kickerwas the Leslies. Don't tilt the Leslies. The swing arm that maintains the tension on the lowerdrum's clothesline will fold over and the clothesline comes off. Which means that you need to undo 22 screws just to slip that cord back on, then button it up again.

2. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Member

I wish. As far as I can tell, the absolute best quality a real B3 has is that you can only play B3 with it. I’d carry one around if it meant I never had to hear random samples and the occasional simulated harmonica sound.

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  3. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

Nothing like a B3 shaking the rafters.

4. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I was in a jam band in the late '80's/early '90's with a B3 and Leslie. He had the proper dollies and a flatbed trailer for it, but yes, we helped move that thing. It sounded glorious and was the loudest thing on stage.

I also played with a guy who used a full sized Casio of some kind through an actual Leslie. It didn't sound like a Hammond, but it sounded cool.

Last week on the radio show I tech for, we had a blues trio in with guitar, drums and keys. The keys guy had a Viscount B-clone and a real Leslie. Yeah, the simulations are getting very close.

5. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

We lugged a Rhodes from time to time. We also had altec Lansing bass bins that were about 4 foot cubes. Best sound but what a pain to move for shows. We always had enough PA to run a festival but it sounded amazing. Tri amped and such good clean sound.

The funny part was always letting older guys try and help move equipment with the band.(we were about 16) They would look at the power amp box and figure this oughta be an easy piece to grab and slack off. That power amp box was so damn heavy. Lol.

We would leave it for last and someone not in on the joke would try to grab it by themselves and we would laugh as they tried to not look wimpy and carry it solo. Hahahaha.

And we would started the load out by telling them all to pair up on the smaller black box.

6. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I did years ago. He had a great set up to move it in and out of his van. Just needed some help positioning it at the rehearsal or on stage. He eventually repackaged the organ into a skeleton type frame which greatly reduced the footprint and the weight. The Leslie was still huge though.

7. scienceguy

scienceguy Silver Supporting Member

Had a C3 and a 142 Leslie when I played in a house band back in 1980. Bought my own B3 in 1981 - fortunately we had a crew to move it. Left it in storage when I went on the road in 1983 and the keyboard player had his own B3 - everybody chipped in to help move it (every two weeks). Sold the B3 in storage in 1984.

Currently I have an A100 and 142 Leslie in the music room but it never goes out. The Nord Stage handles all of that and more.

Here's a pic of me (L) waiting for the bass player (R) to call the next song on a slow Tuesday night in south GA in 1981.
    [​IMG]

Pete Cage likes this.