Anybody had a Jekyll & Hyde and just unsatisfied?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fubba, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Fubba

Fubba Member

I tried to get all my drive sounds out of this pedal. I sing and play rhythm, so I wanted something easy to work with and to decrease the amount of pedals. I CANNOT for the life of me get an enjoyable tone out of it. Everything I try on it is either muddy or honky. Once I get a somewhat usable sound for my tele, I hook my humbucker guitar up, and it sounds like my amp is underground. All I'm asking for is a chunky drive and a good bit of gain for faster/louder stuff. I don't know if it just doesn't agree with my Peavey Classic 50 or what. Is anyone satisfied with theirs?

2. Risewithfaith

Risewithfaith Member

I owned the J&H for quite a few months and couldn't find a usable, satisfying, tone from it. The best thing I did was sell it.

3. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I like the J&H, but never felt it was AWESOME (like I have with a couple of other pedals.....but to be fair, that's really a short list).

However, if I had to live with it, I could make do.

4. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I tried to like the Visual Sound drives, but found them weak and unusable as well.

5. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

there are some definite sweet spots to it. It's not for everyone though- sorry you didn't enjoy it

I love mine

6. jrocguitars

jrocguitars Member

I really like it with Vox amps (AC30 & 50); not so much with my friend's Mesa. It's almost identical to my modded Ibanez TS7.

Fubba, in my experience, most pedals and amps will need some tweaking when switching between a singlecoil telecaster and a HB-equipped guitar. :dunno

7. AJBoy238

AJBoy238 Member

It makes my Duo Jet and UK AC30 SING. I love that pedal.

8. timmy2tone

timmy2tone Member

Try stacking the TS808 side of the J&H with another OD, like from the VS Route 66! Nice tones when you cascade tubescreamers! There are a few companies, (Visual Sound included) that offer two OD's side by side ... that's why! :)

9. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

the ts808 side was my fave... couldn't get into the other side, thus giving me a hard time justifying it's board real estate

10. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I used the original grey J&H for years while growing up and learning guitar.... kept using it b/c I always loved it soooo much when I was younger. Once I got old enough to realize what tone was and that it was ok not to like a pedal's particular flavor --- I realized I hated the heavy side of this pedal. I (and fellow bandmate) talked a lot about how cool it would be to have a pedal with both sides of the lighter drive... thus, the Double Trouble.

I never could get used to the heavy sound for anything except being able to barely dial in a usable boost for the lighter gain side. I never could use it on it's on, happily. It always left me wanting more.

11. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I've heard before that the higher gain side of this is based off the Marshall Shredmaster.
    Any one know for sure if that's the case?
    I love my Shredmaster so having a TS variant & a Shredmaster in one unit would be sweet to put on a grab n go board for rehearsals with a tuner & delay.

12. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I really liked mine when I had it, but ever since I made the switch to a midi controlled pedal board I replaced it with a Nova Drive which sounds similar but with a weaker TS side, and a more organic, with less gainy "RAT" side.

That pedal sounded very good in lower gain settings, and on EL34 based amps. For some reason 6L6 amps didn't bond with it as much.

13. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

they sell just the 808 circuit by itself

14. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Or their 808 into their Open Road pedal... that's my favorite 1/2 punch of drives stacked together, sounds incredible

also, the Distortion side can be tough to find a good sound out of it, but stacked with an OD it sounds awesome

15. leonkorteweg

leonkorteweg Member

16. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Yes I was dissatisfied.

17. td2243

td2243 Member

Same here. I had a J&H and was completely uninspired by it. Way too big a pedal for such a tiny tone.

18. bobwl

bobwl Member

+1... ended up getting a Fulltone GT500 which I think does the job better and takes up less space.

19. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Which version do you have?

My friend has the original grey J&H and uses it with his Peavey Classic 30, he mostly uses the Jekyll side, but I have been able to get good tones out of each side. I was using a strat when I messed with it.

20. whattheadam

whattheadam Member

I had one for about 4 months and sold it. It's a good pedal, but i just couldn't find a set-and-forget tone good enough to justify me not trying elsewhere. Cool concept though.