Anybody had issues with the MVP?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by crxshdxmmy, Feb 15, 2015.

1. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

I've had my Ernie Ball MVP pedal for about 18 months and it's quit working... sorta.

It still passes signal and the boost still works, but the treadle does nothing at all.

It did this once before about a month ago... but didn't last long, so I figured it was a fluke. Now the problem is back.

Sound familiar to anybody?

2. crxshdxmmy

I thought it might've been a power issue.... but I tried running it off a battery and it still didn't work.

Time to find a replacement, I guess.

3. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I'm guessing the string is not broken, right? ;)

No problems so far with my MVP.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yep strings the thing with EB pedals, it's the Achilles heel on them. They make replacement kits for it. You must have got a really bad one if that's already broken/loose. It can look just fine too, but it's just slipping.

5. crxshdxmmy

Hmm.... I'll check that.

6. crxshdxmmy

7. Occam

Occam Member

Mine is fine but I didn't notice they made two models but I guess I got the active pickup model even though I use passives. Seems to work fine but I bet the taper would be smoother with the 250 pot.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well it maybe intact but doesn't mean it's not slipping. Either that or pot itself is defective.

9. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

See if you can manually move the pot. That would tell you if it's the string or the pot.

10. crxshdxmmy

Both the string and the pot are moving fine. Think I've narrowed down the problem to the minimum volume knob. While I was tinkering with it a few minutes ago, just for a couple seconds, I got the treadle working... but the minimum knob couldn't be set to minimum. It was closer to the middle, but when I moved it all the way to minimum, it quit working again.

Think I might send EB an email asking if they've seen any problems like this.

11. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

I don't think it could hurt your case to let them know you have a YT demo of their pedal out there
    and ask for a nice discount on a new one.
    Couldn't hurt.
    I'm sure you've helped them sell more units.

12. crxshdxmmy

Interesting thought... but I'm hoping they'll just stand behind their product.

13. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I got an MVP when they first came out. I loved the way it sounded and the extra boost function on it was very useful. However, the string broke after 5 months, and I knew it was going to be an ongoing problem, so I threw it away, and went back to my Goodrich.

Next stop is a Mission Engineering VM Pro.

14. crxshdxmmy

I've been using Ernie Ball pedals since ... 2008 probably and have never had a string break. I did have a pot get scratchy once, but that happens. I've been pretty satisfied with their stuff.

In fact, I snatched up a standard Jr. out of the emporium as a holdover replacement until I figure out what's up with the MVP. I did consider upgrading to a Goodrich, but I don't like where the jacks are positioned.

15. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    crxshdxmmy,
    Consider yourself really fortunate that the strings on your pedals have held up as well as they have. That is amazing!

I loved the fact that the MVP was powered. It was like having a buffer in the front of my effects. If they made the strings so that they wouldn't break, I would still have the MVP on my board.

The Goodrich is a pedal I have used since 1975. It's only the 2nd one I bought (model # 120). While I like the way it feels, I want the active buffer as the MVP had. That is why I will be getting a VM-Pro.

16. crxshdxmmy

Contacted Ernie Ball and they want $75 to fix whatever is wrong with my MVP pedal. "We have not had any similar complaints," they said.

So... $75 + whatever it takes to mail it to them in CA. Or a brand new one for $99 from Musicians Friend.

17. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

That's a worthless response. Sorry man.

18. crxshdxmmy

Well... to be fair, that's an excerpt of the full response.

Said pedal repair form didn't include an option for the MVP, so they said to mark it as one of the pedals in the $75 repair column and "we will recognize the change when it comes in to the factory."

Still not much help though.

19. crxshdxmmy

Just an update on this thread.

I sent the pedal to a buddy of mine to look over before shelling out $75 on an EB repair. Turns out the solder on minimum volume pot was iffy. Moving the pot made shorted it out somehow, which is why the volume action wasn't working.

Either way, he re-soldered and it's back up and running.

20. ClintWells

ClintWells Member

Interesting tidbit about my MVP acquisition. I was on tour in CA last November and during our show in San Diego the string on my VPJR snapped (this has invariably happened to nearly every EB VP I have owned).

So the next day I mention this to the band and our bass player informs me that Ernie Ball headquarters is actually in San Luis Obispo, the town our bus just happens to be pulling into for our next show. Incredible, right?

Wrong.

I call up Ernie Ball and explain the situation. I know they offer a repair kit for $3.99. I figure surely I can get a ride over there, buy the repair kit and have someone repair it for me. Nope. They don't have any repair kits and the only guy available to look at repairs in general isn't there. Alright, can they loan me one for the show that night? Nope. I ended up having to go to a local Guitar Center where the only VP they had in stock was the MVP.

It was an odd experience being 15 minutes from the Ernie Ball headquarters and being unable to get any help on one of their most popular products. I don't feel entitled to any special treatment at all, but it would have been nice for them to come through and make the day of a dedicated VPJR user.

Having said all of that, I do like my MVP and am glad I got it. Just thought it was an interesting story.