Anybody have 2 comps on thier board?...thinking about adding another.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Feb 6, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have a vintage MXR DynaComp that I use and have enjoyed for many, many years. That said, I am very interested in adding the Diamond Comp to my board as it seems to be a completely different type of compressor. Is this comp overkill or are they like overdrives...different flavors. I don't think of compression as my most often used effect, in fact...I only use the DC about 15% of the time, but I'm always glad it's there when I stomp on it. So, would a Diamond comp be different enough to warrant such a purchase and valuable real estate on my board?

Anybody have/use 2 comps on their board?

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I haven't tried the Diamond, but I do use the ToneFactor Orange Squeezer (thanks Bob/mcfuzz!) and the Analogman CompROSSor (thanks Mike!)...

Both are great and completely different. The Bi-Compressor is really cool, but I am using the two pedals in different places in my pedalboards. I also like the variety in controls. The CompROSSor has attack, sustain and volume. The Squeeze Factor has only blend and volume, the compression level is non-adjustable, but you can set a blend of wet/dry signals instead (this pedal originally had no sustain control, either). Great way to make a great sound more versatile. The CompROSSor is on my clean side, it's really great sounding as well. The attack delay control is a great feature.

So, anyway, I can definitely understand wanting more than one comp at your disposal. Go for it.

3. covert

covert Member

I usually run an old 9 series Ibanez pretty much all the time. In addition either an Aphex Punch Factory, or Barber Tone Press, or additional boost and squeeze for lead. I haven't quite been able to choose between them. Comps definitely come in flavors.

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

[​IMG]

Well, I think I am going to have to get this after all. I have been mulling it over and believe that it would be beneficial to have in addition to my vintage DC. I thought that I read somewhere on the boards that somebody actually had these exact same two pedals, sure hope they find this thread and offer some insight.

So with the placement of two...what would yield the widest range of tones? With the Diamond having the EQ over the DC, should I toss it near the end keeping the DC up front since it has such a nice boost?

5. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I also still have my vintage DynaComp (got it in the 70's) - won't give it up.

I think it depends upon what you want the compressors to do. I usually run the two one right after the other. The first in line is set to line level with heavy compression for any type of lead sustain and/or heavy funk or even some country. The second is set more for a level boost with mild sustain (general purpose).

You could have one set before any OD/Distortion pedals, and one afterwards to alter the character of the distortion. It also depends upon each pedal's strength.

By the way, how do you like the Diamond Compressor and how do the 2 interact??

Brett

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

I don't have the Diamond yet, this is my decision process. I think I'm 90% sold on it though. I may bump it up on the pedal queue to next in line.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have an Analogman Juicer and a HBE CPR, not sure which one I will end up keeping. I kinda prefer the squeezer way of compressing notes and am leaning towards the Juicer though. I got both pedals last week after never using compressors at all, I think I've finally seen the light, but we'll see, I've said it all before.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The diamond is a great pedal. I have mine near the beginning of my signal and never turn it off.

Something that some musicians do is have the squishy comp (like your dynacomp) near the beginning of the signal, and the transparent comp (like the diamond), near the end (at a low setting, like 10:00) to smooth out any unevenness added from effects.

9. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I use 2 analogman Bicomprossors; one on each pedalboard. My only other comp is a vintage script MXR Dynacomp.Which I no longer use. I highly recommend the Bicomprossors :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

Tom