• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anybody have a Colorsound Power Boost (the orange one)?

dadgad

Hey guys,

I've been seriously considering getting a Colorsound Power Boost (not overdriver) reissue from the Macaris website. It seems/sounds like a rather versatile pedal. anyone own one? thoughts? I really love the look of these pedals, so if you have any pictures post em.

thanks!

dcmak5

I parted with my prescription overdriver awhile back, then repurchased and I doubt it will go anywhere any time soon. I LOVE the fuzzy side of the gain knob on this pedal.

dadgad

Do you think that the prescription overdriver (im assuming this is a powerboost clone) would be a good option for a main overdrive pedal?

dcmak5

yeah, you know how it works right? it's basically a clean boost until you get passed noon you get a nice fuzzy drive and then at about 3 you hit a wall of fuzz that has this low end splat that I can't describe. It sounds like something is terribly wrong with your amp, it's great. think Neil Young
also, the drive/fuzz is very... normal on your ears (blends well with your amp). there's no compression that you'd get with a TS or other type of od
also the independent treble and bass controls make this very very versatile.
if money weren't an option I'd have at least 3 forms of power boost on my board for multiple settings.
there are really a lot of useable sounds from this pedal.

and the Rx is nice (you can pick up a used one at rock block for a decent price)
but check out the Lumpys Tone shop version and other clones of it out there. I'd like to try some out but haven't yet

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Hey guys,

I've been seriously considering getting a Colorsound Power Boost (not overdriver) reissue from the Macaris website. It seems/sounds like a rather versatile pedal. anyone own one? thoughts? I really love the look of these pedals, so if you have any pictures post em.

thanks!
In the late 60's and 70's the Overdriver and the Power Booster were the same pedal with a diferent name and paint job. In the 90's colorsound reissued the pedal under the more popular name of Overdriver and added a (much needed) master volume to allow you to get the more overdriven and fuzzy tones at less than ear splitting volumes.

Now, they are also offering a reissue Power Booster which is the same thing as the reissue Overdriver but w/o the master volume and inthe original late 60's orange paint with the old name.

Same pedals more or less.

The Overdriver is more versatile since you can get more tones at lower volumes.

dadgad

If I recall the reissue has the master volume as well. Call me crazy but I really do love the aesthetics of the orange version. Very cool graphics (i.e 'hit it!') but that's just me.

Motherfuzzer

Silver Supporting Member
Support Macaris! Buy the real thing!

I have an Orange Power Boost. It's great. It took me a little while to get used to it. Now I love it. Gives my Strats neck pick up a nice Glassy tone.

Try turning down your amp, crank the master volume on the Colorsound, and adjust your amp from there. You'll see...

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
we're talking about the same pedal gimour used, yes?

i have the throbak odb. becoming the heart of my sound. . . . dropped the king of tone!!!!!!!!!!! (still holding a timmy though).

corbs

Silver Supporting Member
we're talking about the same pedal gimour used, yes?

i have the throbak odb. becoming the heart of my sound. . . . dropped the king of tone!!!!!!!!!!! (still holding a timmy though).

Throbak ODB is a seriously fantastic pedal. Silly how many great tones are in that box.

timsmcm

I love my overdriver the black one. You really have to be careful with that pedal. It is very strong. I mean really strong. Can superheat the front end of an amp very quickly. I love it.

Motherfuzzer

Silver Supporting Member
I don't understand why you would want a clone, when the real one is still easily available. I would always wonder if the clone really sounds like the original. If your patient, and persistent you can find a good deal on an original. I did.

And on top of that, You should support the people that are coming up with original designs, instead of the followers, just my opinion.

JRC4558Dude

I don't understand why you would want a clone, when the real one is still easily available.
Well, the Throbak ODB uses a smaller enclosure and has an LED and a DC jack. So, those are three perfectly good reason why someone might buy a clone, rather than the original.

frails

Gold Supporting Member
Rumor has it Gilmour favored the ones made in 69'. Ooops old thread, sorry.

100JH

Throbak ODB is a seriously fantastic pedal. Silly how many great tones are in that box.
+1 love mine. I have a Tube Driver before Big Muff (clones) and Throbak OD after, nice combos (a la DG). Nice tones on its own as well. Neck PUP with the throbak is quite dreamy as well.

dani3l

Support Macaris! Buy the real thing!

I have an Orange Power Boost. It's great. It took me a little while to get used to it. Now I love it. Gives my Strats neck pick up a nice Glassy tone.

Try turning down your amp, crank the master volume on the Colorsound, and adjust your amp from there. You'll see...

Hi, could you please upload a sharper (i.e. more in focus) version of the gut shot? I am trying to add a master volume myself and I want to see how they did it and also what resistance value they have used for it
Cheers

Trending Topics

Top Bottom