1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody have a Fuchs modded Twin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axeplyr, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

I have a Twin Reverb Reissue laying around, I'm contemplating the $1000 Fuchs ODS mod. I was wondering...

Has anyone done it?
    If so, how did it turn out?
    Does it sound as good as the Fuchs amp purchased outright (all other things equal, such as same cab)

Thanks - it's a big step and serious mod to an amp that I like but feel is expendable in the big scheme of things!

Thanks!

2. Rob Livesey

Rob Livesey Member

I Do! The Twin is a great platform for the mod. Most Dumble amp in the 70's had Fender Transformers and they do end up sounding really nice. The end result package is rather larger than the production amps, but for me, the 100w power gives that little extra girth to the tone even when playing at lower volumes.

My modded Twin and my production amp are different, but both are great amps. The Twin mod is more aggressive and louder than the production amp. The production amp is a little more sophisticated. That could just be down to when they were built though. Fuchs amps have evolved a little bit too, so I would expect new mod amps to have a little more of the current production amps in them than mine does. One bit of advice I would give is that when ordering the footswitch options, go for OD and Pre-Amp Boost as a minimum. I got OD and Reverb, and I never use the reverb switch. Andy has sent me a little mod pack to make the pre-amp boost footswitchable but I have never got around to fitting it.

Here's my amp: http://www.roblivesey.com/amps/FuchsODS100

Good Luck,
    Rob.

3. Axeplyr

Thanks! Great info, exactly what I wanted to know. Very nice amp, seems like the conversion might be a worthwhile endeavor. I have a mint condition '65 Twin reissue, and I'm trying to decide if I want to do this, or just bite the bullet and buy an original.

If you don't mind, I have a couple more questions.

Your amp appears to have been converted to a head.

Did you ever try it as a combo before the conversion?

If so, how did it sound as a combo?

Do you prefer the original Fuchs or the conversion overall?

Thanks!

4. Rob Livesey

Rob Livesey Member

Hi, Yes, here it is as a combo:

[​IMG]

It would have been fine as a combo but it was too heavy. I kept trying different speakers, but my faves - EVM12L's were just not going to happen in that configuration. I tried the Celestion Neo's which were light but they didn't work for me either. I ended up going back to the head when I got the 1x12 Fuchs cab which now has an EVM12L in it. The Fuchs FAT-S1 was nice too, but I think I prefer the EVM overall.

I wouldn't like to say which one I prefer over the other, I like them both a lot. I suppose I'd choose the full production amp over the mod, because it is more refined, has more options and comes in a good looking package. But the mod amp will get you 85% there I think.

Rob.

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Man...............I bet that thing KILLS!

6. PFCG

PFCG Member

MAN! I BET THAT THING HAS A KILLER CIRCUIT BOARD! jab jab wink wink

7. Axeplyr

Thanks again. I don't see where I'll save a tremendous amount of money with the combo, so maybe I'll take your suggestion and go for a production model. The Twin is good enough to keep, and if I sell it, I'll get about $800+ back that I can apply to the head. That said, it is a killer looking combo! But with those EVM's it was heavy for sure. :)

8. Rob Livesey

Rob Livesey Member

indeed.....:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

9. PFCG

PFCG Member

sorry guys im taken... Two-Rock stole my heart! cant look at those, they make me a little nauseous

10. Rob Livesey

Rob Livesey Member

I've seen the insides of Two Rocks that would make anyone throw up, I've got friends that own them and pics to prove it. They ALL now make a good product. A good PCB is not inferior to any point to point amp, it all depends on how it's implemented.

Rob.

11. Axeplyr

Rob,

Thanks again. I just made a deal with Fretmaster to buy his ODS30SLX!

- John

12. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Score! :AOK

I've had mine since January. Great amp.