Anybody have a PP2+ fail?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 62Tele, Oct 4, 2019.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

If so, how’d it behave on the way out? Wondering if mine is acting up.

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

It’s not the first time I’ve heard of a PP2+ breaking down, but Voodoo Lab’s CS is some of the best in the business if it ends up needing repair.
    What is yours doing that caught your attention?

Abram4235 likes this.
  3. Timtam

Timtam Member

Check the specified current draw for each pedal against the current specs of the output it's on. Also check the total sum of all current draws against the supply's specified max current capability.

If you're so inclined, you can actually measure the current being drawn / supplied to see if the supply and pedals are behaving as specified ..
    https://truetone.com/ma-meter/
    http://stinkfoot.se/measure-current-draw

Mattyc likes this.
  4. 8len8

8len8 Member

There are many failure modes for a power supply like that. What problem are you having?

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Signal drops out at times, a lot like a dying battery. I’ve also had a couple of pedals drop out when engaged (and LED not come on) and thought at first I had a bad switch, but when a couple of brand new ones behaved the same way on the board, it made me suspect something else. Patch cords test fine with my Fluke.

6. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I never experienced an outright “fail” with my PP2+ or my PP digital, but I did experience what I would describe as a current overloading situation where my digital delay units would reboot mid-set. It wouldn’t happen at home, but only at certain venues. It was probably a combination of the unit being overloaded and the questionable mains power.

It was quite annoying, and it prompted me to switch to Truetone power supply units 2 years ago...I have not had a single issue since.

Not knocking the Voodoo Lab stuff...my units were around 8 years old, so probably ready to be replaced.

kdm1218 likes this.
  7. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i had one come DOA from a dealer. other than that no performance issues with the PP2+ or 4x4. they were definitely not the quietest power supplies i have used. ended up with a one spot cs6 and cs7. much quieter. and cheaper, iirc.

8. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

i had a faulty input 5 develop on me when i constantly ran both i/puts 5 & 6 at max (not above BTW)

9. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

I had an input die but I assumed it was an isolated (hurr hurr) incident. One email to VL, and it was on its way back to be repaired for free.

kdm1218 and Flatscan like this.
  10. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Thanks all. Just let it run for an hour and checked voltages on all the outputs with several pedals engaged - all looks fine. No real high draw pedals on the board - worst is a Diamond Counterpoint which really doesn’t draw much at all. The mystery continues.

11. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

I can only contribute with the fact that my PP2+ has been abused for years and its still working flawlessly, very solid product!

Bopcat and geek-mo like this.
  12. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

Owned a bunch, never had a failure.

NewOldSocks, Flatscan and Bopcat like this.
  13. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I had a terrible time with mine after trying to set up a board without having used it in years. The power supply cables were the culprit. All the taps read well. I bought new replacements and threw away the old ones. They had become heavily oxidized somehow.

14. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

I had 4x4 that died after few weeks I bought. It just shut down so no any signs before failure. I got new one and it's still on my board after 8-9 years. The reason for failure was insulation in transformer if I remember right. The guy at the store said that it was first one By voodoo lab to fail and he was really suprised.

15. NewOldSocks

NewOldSocks Member

Man i have had a PP2+ for 6yrs and I play 150+ shows a year along with studio work and daily practice.

Not one problem... hope that it stays that way!

16. mapleneck72

mapleneck72 Member

I've had a PP2 for 17 years with no problems and added a X4 for my small board.