Anybody have an ESP Jake E Lee guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JPenn, Jul 12, 2008.

1. JPenn

JPenn Member

I've got an old 400 series neck and always dug the headstock, but the neck is just too thin. I've been trying to get some ideas for a parts Strat and remembered the Jake sig ESP had for a while. What was the neck shape and depth on these? The specs look interesting but how'd they turn out? They sure seem pretty near impossible to find.

2. JPenn

JPenn Member

3. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I played one with the intention of buying it, but did not like it. The neck was very thin and it had 2 different fret sizes, which to me was strange from the playability perspective. I ended up building one to my personal specs, which has suited me just fine over the years.

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I had one back in the mid nineties. I bought it new when a music store on 48th street in Manhattan went out of business. I think it was 48 street Custom. About $600. It was off white with 3 single coils. ESP makes great guitars and that guitar was no different. The neck was kinda thin though. I'd like to say I wish I still had it.......but that's just not my thing now. [​IMG]

5. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

I remember those things had a 24.75" scale length. Maybe not all of 'em, but certainly some, at least.

6. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I see them every now and then pop up on Ebay. Honestly, GMW Guitarworks makes the best Jake replica guitars out there- the did his white one, the purple burst, and the blueburst exactly like Jake played on the Ultimate Sin tour. You can find those used every now and then too. GMW no longer makes them because the Fender headstock shape is licensed...

Here's mine on the far right (I have a roland synth pickup installed in this photo)...
    [​IMG]

7. JPenn

JPenn Member

The short scale is no big deal since normal Fender scale has never felt right to me. I wondered about the neck size cause my old Series 400 neck is thin. I guess I'll just put a parts Strat together that's similar.

Thanks!