anybody have an Orange Rocker 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

If so, what do you think of it?

2. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Just picked one up two days ago. I fell in love with the little guy. It has such amazing tone and punch for being so tiny. Wonderful singing sustain, EL34 clip and rich clean tones.

Can't get a bad tone out of it, def worth the $. It does the Zep/Sabbath thing very well which is why I got it.

3. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

I picked up one for a friend recently. Young, Loud and Snotty describes it well. ;^)

Especially the loud part. It can get REALLY loud.

It's pretty damn nice. Has killer rock growl on the gain channel, and excellent, ballsy cleans that get just a touch of hair on them when you crank 'em.

4. VDeuce

VDeuce Member

Can it sound decent at very low volumes, or does it need to be cranked?

5. Platypus

It sounds BEAUTIFUL at low volumes, I hardly notice any difference at all whether I'm at 9 o clock on the volume or 4 o clock. You lose a bit of the sustain because the power tubes aren't driven as hard but it's almost perfect. It's a great little bedroom rocker.

6. yannis

yannis Member

Does it sound good at low volumes with a hotplate? I want it for home practice

How is the build quality like? Good pcb quality, trannies and materials?

7. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I have one and I love it. The tones described above pretty much cover it. I can turn the gain down and hit it with an overdrive for some great blusey crunch or crank the gain for metal meltdown. The clean channel is voiced nicely and also takes any pedal I throw at it. Excellent master volume circuit that allows it to be played at a decent bedroom volume or crank it up to full stage volume with balls to spare. The build is very good. The chassis and head shell are built like a brick shi*house! Nice quality inside. Mine had Demeter transformers but I hear some of the current production has MM's.............:AOK

8. yannis

yannis Member

hmmm that makes me think twice.... THD Flexi50 vs Orange rocker30

9. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Would you guys recommend a head or the combo?

10. Platypus

I would recommend the combo personally. It's light, easy to move, sounds amazing, and doesn't require a cab to lug around. It's a perfect little gig amp or just practicing with some people without a ton of gear.

To whoever asked about the Hotplate, you don't need it at all.. the volume low and gain high compensates perfectly and you get the same great tone without an attenuator. I have a hotplate and would never use it on this little guy. Hope this helps!

PM me if you have more detailed questions.

edit: The build quality is outstanding. The whole package is just very professional looking, very tight, clean corners, etc. All the controls feel very good, the speaker connection is very tight and clean. I usually take a screwdriver and tighten up the amp because sometimes it gets rattled loose, etc, but this thing was so tight I couldn't tighten it if I tried. I am floored by the build quality on this thing.

11. yannis

yannis Member

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but how would you rate the Rocker 30 against the THD Flexi50 and the H&K duotone for my purposes?

12. Platypus

What kind of sound are you looking for I guess is the question? The THD is a nice amp as well but there is a tone that this Orange can get that I can only pinpoint as 'the orange sound.'

My suggestion is to play both side by side and see which one you like the best. Having played both I would say I'd take the Orange but tone is soooooo subjective that what I like you may hate and vice versa.

13. Rollie

Rollie Guest

The flexi and the rocker 30 are completely different animals. I have owned both. Everything posted about the Rocker 30 above is true, but one thing nobody mentioned is that it is very compressed, very forgiving, and not very touch sensitive compared to a Flexi, which is not forgiving, in that it is very touch sensitive. Both sound good, but they are nothing alike, in either the way they sound or the way they play.

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Tremendous amp (Rocker 30). I really enjoyed trying a Flexi as well. They're totally different beasts however. The Rockers have two distinctly different channels. You use one for clean and you use the other for dirty. Period. The Rockers have excellent master volumes and can sound damn good at any volume level. They have a uniquely "Orange" sound. No other amp sounds like them. IMHO, the Rocker is so easy to set up and play...it's very hard to get a bad sound out of it. At higher gain levels, it masks more of your guitar's personality than the Flexi does.

The Flexi has one main sound: it's much more of what I think of as a traditional Marshally sounding amp. It is much more responsive to guitar vol and pick attack changes than the Rockers. It's quite loud and I would need to attenuate it considerably. The Flexi was harder for me to dial in than the Rocker.

If you want two distinctly differnet clean and dirty sounds at just about any (reasonable) volume, and you want an amp that has a more unique sound/personality, the Rocker 30 is a better choice, IMO. If you want a "do it all from the guitar (with maybe a pedal or two)" type amp that has a great Marshally sound, the Flexi will be a better choice, IMO.

15. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

how would you compare it to a Mesa F 50 ?
    I know they sound different, but what would you choose and why if you ever went to the store again?
    What is the price on the Rocker?Isn't the Mesa More versatile?
    What do you think?

16. macmax77

by the way, what would you choose between a Orange Rockerverb 100 and a MEsa F50 series?

17. Platypus

As mentioned before, the Orange is a different animal than most other amps I've tried. The Mesa F series will give you more versatility and a wider pallete of tones on tap but you lose a bit of the warmth and vibe.

Both are outstanding amplifiers and in a perfect world I'd take an F50 too but the Orange has a quality all it's own that very few amps I've tried can touch.

I guess it really depends on what you want out of it. Sometimes a more simple tone circuit is just more fun to play. I have a Dual Rec and that is my 'tweaker' amp.. I love how versatile it is. Sometimes I just like to plug in and not worry what my settings are and just rock... the Orange fits the bill perfectly for that. It's up to you what you want out of it.

As far as the Rockerverb 100, you gain a reverb and 70 more watts.. personally I like the 30 better because of how much less headroom it takes to send it into crunch city. I imagine the 50 and 100 would be great amps too but to me it loses some of the charm.

18. macmax77

THanks for your words, i will take them into consideration.
    one good thing of the 30 is that it doesn't weight much.
    i had a Tremoverb before, it was modded by VoodooAmps and i can tell you i haven't found an amp that sounded like that one.
    Had to sell it because i was moving and i couldn't tkae it with me, but i really miss it.
    I went out and tried a Shiva and my Tverb really sounded better than the Shiva, i won't pay that much for an amp (2600) for something that couldn't keep up with my modded Tverb, so i am just looking for a small amp i gues, well, going out to try some amps in an hour,

Thanks again,

Max

19. Platypus

Good luck in your search. I can tell you that when VoodooAmps mods a Mesa it doesn't sound quite like a Mesa anymore.. it has it's own vibe altogether.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Can you provide some info as to the sound you're trying to nail with the amp? It might help in making recommendations.

20. yannis

yannis Member

WOA , just the people i need to talk to... people that tried the THD Flexi and the Oranges... pms sent