• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anybody have any experience with the Yamaha FX500?

Blooby

I was drinking scotch the other day (which inevitably leads to online used gear purchases), and I found one of these units on the super cheap. I know it's mostly known for its soft focus patch, but I was wondering what some of you who have toyed with it had to say.

It was Glenfiddich 14 this time around, by the way. Gets me every time.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Blooby

DieHon

I found one last month for $40, but the lazy guy didn't want to ship it to Brazil. One day I'll find a good soul selling it.

Here is what I got from Italo some weeks ago:

Any experience with the Yamaha FX500? Seems like an improved SPX90.
Not that the SPX was anything special ever...
The FX500 conversion? Sigh.
Back in the day I was planning to make a dirty cheap yet good 2u rack with it and the se70.

Gone Fission

Silver Supporting Member
I've got its more modern successor, the MagicStomp, which has some multi chains but nothing that duplicates the Soft Focus chain. (Will do reverb into Symphonic, at least, which gets a bit of the way there.) Unlike the MagicStomp, the 500 does have MIDI control. I know it'll do reverse gate reverb and a reverse envelope early reflections, so Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine tones covered. Couldn't tell you about whether it does pitch shifting, ala SPX-90 "Pitch C." MagicStomp has that and the incredibly versatile 8 tap delays descended from the D-5000 and UD-Stomp. It's a pedal that never really got its full due. Blah conversion by current standards, so I get why it's fallen out for series pedalboard use. Means it's usually a bargain if you don't mind running it in parallel with a mixer.

tremolo3

I have had 3 in the past.

Yes, it does the Slowdive and MBV's early reflections very well. It will take some serious tweaking if you run it in front of your amp to make it sound lush and clear. It will react way too different on whatever you have in front of it: dirt pedals, buffered pedals?, pickups, active?... it's a truly PITA, but once nailed, a sound to die for if you are into "shoegaze".
Distortion sounds are, obviously, a joke. Delays are pretty boring on their own. Reverb and Modulation (Symphonic!) is why you get this unit.
Compressor and EQ are extremely useful to add some mids and highs, and yet, you will still have some muddyness ;)

Mario C.

I had one for a while a long time ago, the thing has very little headroom and the conversion is a joke, but I remember this sitar patch that I haven't been able to replicate using anything else, for special effects it was cool, the FX550 was a bit better and the FX900 was a much better sounding unit, I had an FX900 for about three years and it was very cool at the time. You see them for sale very cheap too. Midi implementation was very good from what I remember.

Kronos147

Distortion sounds are, obviously, a joke. Delays are pretty boring on their own. Reverb and Modulation (Symphonic!) is why you get this unit.
I had one for a while a long time ago, the thing has very little headroom and the conversion is a joke
I had one too. This is a pretty good synopsis.

I think I would look at Boss SE-50 or SE-70 before FX500. Caveat, I have never owned either Boss, but I played with the SE-50 for hours at a Guitar Center in the early 90's.

italo de angelis

^^^^

Blooby
YES... get an SE70 and free yourself from that thing.
You'll thank Kronos147 later... and you surely will.

LOVE your AVATAR! That's some serious magic music and culture!!!

MetalGuitard

I've had the FX550 and the EMP100 and for basic effects I thought they sounded great in the loop of my VHT Pittbull. I didn't notice any tone suck. Both were pretty easy to use. There are a few whacky effects but compared to things like Particle/Shimmer Verb, Harmonized dealys, etc the Yamahas are pretty basic. The modulation, verb and delays are good though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom