Anybody have any luck turning a combo amp into a separate head and cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by justinfranx, Jan 27, 2012.

1. justinfranx

justinfranx Member

I have a Mesa road king 2x12 combo that I really l really love but it's too heavy and I prefer the look of a head and cab setup. I've debated over and over whether I should give it a shot to try to make a head cab and modify the combo box into a speaker cab. Has anyone had any luck making something like this look close to factory?? Let's see some pictures!!

2. cestjoel

cestjoel Member

I think you're better off just selling it or trading it for the head/cab set up. Plus you'll devalue the combo for sure!

Joel

3. axelfoley

axelfoley Supporting Member

Here is one I did recently.

[​IMG]

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I've been thinking about building a headbox for my JCM800 combo.
    Just haven't gotten around to it.

5. justinfranx

justinfranx Member

I'm actually trying to sell my road king in the forum but not much interest yet. I was thinking I could make a head box from scratch. For the cab instead of modifying the structure I guess I'd just have to remove the speaker baffle and make a new one that would go all the way to the top and cover it in grill cloth and make a new back pannel so it would be closed back?? That way I could save the factory parts and put it back to stock if needed.

I called Mesa to see how much it would cost to make me a head box, they told me it wasn't possible.

That bad cat looks nice!

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I am about to do this now with a Sewell Wampus Cat 1x15 combo. Always loved the amp, then was pretty amazed to discover how much better it sounds running through external cab only. Here I will preserve the combo cabinet, just in case, have a head shell built. If I ever have to sell it, the buyer can have an option.

MD

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012