Anybody have experience with JMI and JMJ amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pickslide, Feb 20, 2008.

1. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

http://www.jmiamplification.com/

http://www.jmjamps.com/

I don't know how to do a search for these things since they only have 3 letter names. I see that the JMJ's have power scaling, which is great, but the JMI's have variable voltage, which I would like to know more about.

Anybody out there have these amps? Thoughts?

2. jakins

jakins Member

do a search like this: JMJ* or JMI*

the asterisk will get you the 4 letters you need, and will provide a wealth of information here :)

I am an amp whore and the JMJ is the only one ive kept over the last couple years...if you like vox its pretty much the perfect amp, 6 inputs, hi/lo normal AC30, top boost, and AC30/4 (EF86) and power scaling will allow you to play it anywhere. now, someone with more vintage AC30 experience will probably give better comparisons to the real thing because i dont have extensive experience with the vintage amps...i just know it has that sound and these amps sound superb....if you can find one. Im gonna sell my head for $4k....he he. Actually, thats probably the amount it would take for me to part with it!!!

3. pickslide

4. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I owned jakins JMJ before he did and his assessment of the amp is pretty dead-on. I've owned a few old AC30's and presently own a 63. The JMJ is very very close and without any negatives IMO. Probably the best the replica I have played and it has a ton of tonal options. It was very hard to let that one go. Craftsmanship is second to none and IMO superior to my old AC's.

I've heard the JMI is a killer amp too. Haven't heard one personally but I'd sure like to. ;)

Good luck!

<M

5. pickslide

How much gain can these amps put out?

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I owned a JMJ for a while and also own a '62 and a HW. The JMJ was a great amp. I've not heard a JMI, but as I understand it, the JMI is more of a virtual copy, complete with tremolo circuit. The JMJ sacrifices the tremolo for the addition of the three most popular input circuits all in one amp (EF86, normal, and top boost), as well as power scaling.

Your choice may be limited very much by availability. As for gain, same as an AC30.

7. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I'll echo what everyone has said about the JMJ-30 -- I've had mine for just about a year and it stopped my long run of acquiring various Vox AC-30s and clones (TBX, HW, Hayseed, CC). I haven't played too many vintage AC-30s but I'll trust those that have and compared them to the JMJ and found them very very close. No matter to me, the amp sounds like a Vox to me and, with the three channels and power scaling, is very flexible. The only problem is getting one, however. JMJ is not currently making the amp -- you can contact Matt through the website that you noted and ask to be notified when he does start making them again. I don't believe he offers a wait list however.

8. pickslide

9. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

You ought to check out the Valvetech Hayseed amps as well....

10. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

geez, same ol' characters that belong to the JMJ club here, i see.

matt has a severe backlog of orders to fill, as i understand it. i'm surely very biased here, but i think the JMJ30 is a classic amp on the order of d*mble or trainwreck. ungodly sound and touch response and nigh on to perfect replication of three different jennings era timbres. of the hundreds of amps i've played over the decades, i'd put the JMJ in my top 5 list on any given day.

i've heard great things about the JMI stuff from two different folks that have experience w/ the amps. i'm curious myself. danged if those amps don't cost a truckload of $$$, tho.

either amp w/ a rangemaster clone will deliver all the classic rock vibe one desires save for modern metal sounds.

11. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    With the JMJs generally unavailable and the price of the JMIs, the Hayseed is a good amp to consider.

12. e-z

e-z Member

Slight hijack: which rangemaster clone do you prefer with the JMJ?

13. talpa

talpa Member

Mine was delivered Christmas '06. All I can add is nothing, it is a great pro chassis. The bonus for me was a TGPer around the same season was unloading a basically new NCM 2x12 cab/trolley loaded w/ vintage Vox '67 transitional Silvers in black cloth. So I ordered a NCM head shell in the red cloth. Why ? Because it looks cool and vintagey mismatched like that.

The PS is a cool deal in and of itself. I spent about 1-2K in '05 loading up on vintage glass only, no other gear (u know how little that buys you retail ? - I ain't TG from PP). So I spent 2-3 months just dialing in power tubes. I mix M8137s and Heerlen types in the pre section. I settled on Valvo in the power, sometimes I mix Tele/Valvo (from an old PP thread recommendation).

Just a killer rig - not for sale ever. My Germino gets the same care. Cannot wait to order an EDT & CarolAnn.

Am hoping Alan & Frederic will allow me to ship stash for their selection and build the chassis around the tubes. I think this is a fair request, Masco did for me. Thank you JMJ !

14. talpa

talpa Member

I have 2 Toneman RMs, built the same - but one has a bit more juice to it poss. due to component drift. They both kill, esp. w/ on the low toggle (don't know the official name for it).

The TM RM thru my Germino Club40 with an LPJr...really nasty. Strats too. I can see why the orig. RMs are one of the earliest pedal designs because it tends to bring out even more in humbuckers, which I would think the pros were calling out for (Clapton/Beck/Blackmore/Townshend).

Maybe one of the 4 would care to comment ? <^..^>

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I use a JMI AC-15 twin w/blues (sorry, Zero :D) and I really dig it.
    It can get quite a bit of gain, actually, and while I didn't really like it that much at first, I'm slowly liking it more and more. I didn't buy it for the cleans, though, but the overdrive this thing gets on the 2nd input of the 1st channel is just nuts. Nothing like it. I'm somehow gonna' start working on saving up for a JMI AC-30/6TB, 'cause that's like "IT".

16. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I'm using a Lovepedal BBB07 on Rangemaster settings with my non top boost 63 AC-30 and loving it.

17. e-z

e-z Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

18. jerrylee

jerrylee Supporting Member

Carb into the normal channel of my JMJ is it for me. I've tried a Hot Cake, Keeley Java, and Analogman Beano. The Carb is my favorite, Java boost a close 2nd. Anybody have any idea how many JMJ's are in circulation? I have #10 I think.

19. popinvasion

popinvasion Member

the carb is a silicon rangemaster clone so its not a surprise if you dig that pedal with a vox or vox style amp.

I am buying if anyone is selling a nice vox amp(jmj, jmi)

20. e-z

e-z Member

Don't know but I have #12.