Anybody have mice try and invade your house?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jrjones, Apr 6, 2015.

1. jrjones

jrjones Member

We have been renting out house for about 5 years now. Before we moved in, it was an absolute mess. We got it cleaned up and got rid of the rodents, now its like they're trying to come back. One was underneath my pedalboard the other day. What's the best course of action? We have traps out already and some poison in areas our dog can't get to. Any other good ideas?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Ahh. nice = mice in the title. That hurt my head for a bit because I'm up too late (as usual).

Rat Zappers are pretty great, but I'm a big fan of good old fashioned wooden mousetraps.

3. mattamatta

mattamatta Member

All I know is that if having nice try makes people want to invade my house, I hope they decide to have something else!

4. teledude55

teledude55 Member

from my experience from watching pest control reality shows, you have to find out how they are getting in and plug the holes, then set traps and catch/kill the rest.

5. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

+1

At my last house we had a squirrel problem. Couldn't find where they were getting in - assumed I'd looked at every 'uninvited guest door'. One of the attic vent screens had a hole in it. Only visible from the inside. To reach it I had to crawl on my hands and knees over 40' of joists while reminding myself to 'use the joists and not the sheet rock' in three feet of vertical space - twice. Once to find it and once to repair it.

So there I am balanced on a joist repairing the screen [armoring as I don't plan on doing it again] when a squirrel from the shallow end of the rodent gene pool crawls in through the hole about 18" from my head. I'm not sure if he was looking for love or a fight but he left quite a bit of fur on his panicked exit. I cussed his ancestors soundly while thinking 'THE JOIST, THE JOIST! STAY ON THE !!^*@@!! JOIST!

Russ

6. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I had moved into a very low rent apartment in grad school and the neighbors told me there were mice. I let my snake outta the terrarium and there were no more after a few months.

7. claudel

claudel Member

8. jrjones

jrjones Member

Sorry...sleepy me+autocorrect=misspelling words. We have some of the good ol wooden traps but I think they've wised up...they haven't been setting them off lately.

9. claudel

claudel Member

Try peanut butter in the traps...

10. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

6 cats.

Somehow word gets out.

Although there are a couple of times a year where they gear up for an onslaught like little lemmings and the cats are very entertained for a few days.

11. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

NP. It probably would have been kind of comical watching me try to figure out what was going on. I was trying to reconcile "nice try" and "home invasion" and it really had me quite confused. I'm better now.

In my experience mice don't wise up. They're really quite stupid and I've put the same model trap with the same bait in the same spot and caught 10 in a row. Rats on the other hand, are VERY smart and won't touch something that's new and out of place.

When you grow up on a farm, you learn a thing or two about rodents. The tip about finding where they're getting in is right on.

12. Birddog

Birddog Member

Trap them relentlessly. Set, re-bait and check the traps every morning and night until they are gone. It works every time.

If they're cleaning the old-style traps without setting them off, try a couple of glue traps. You usually have to kill the mice once they're stuck, but the glue traps are merciless.

13. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

find out how they are getting in. get a cat. put glue traps along the walls where you know they have been. droppings are a good indication of where they are hanging out and spending time. get rid of their food sources. for example, birdseed in my shed was a big attractor.

14. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Glue traps worked well for us. Then the mice seemed to move around. I think they came in when it got cold in the fall and have been just kind of taking a tour of the inside of my 100 year old house ever since. Hope they find their way out now that it's warming up because I completely lost track of the little bastards. I'd look for a hole, but there are probably a dozen of them.

15. explorer76

explorer76 Member

I'll just add that I like these style traps a little better than the typical wooden wire traps. They are much easier to set without fear of nailing your finger!! But, they are more expensive.

[​IMG]

16. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

If you find where they're getting in, try plugging the holes with steel wool. They'll quickly discover that any attempts to chew through it is painful and results in a bloody mouth.

17. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

Good old traps with peanut butter. I got 18 of them by doing what Birddog says. Reload and replace everyday until they are gone.

18. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

if you can find where they are getting in, put some cinnamon around that area. they hate that stuff.

19. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

Gallon bucket half full of water with a few drops of dish soap (makes them less buoyant) make a ramp and put peanut butter suspended over bucket works good we found as many as 5 in a bucket one morning

20. gigs

gigs Member

Traps baited with peanut butter are very effective at killing them.... however, if they have an easy food supply, they will make it their home and multiply like crazy.

Tupperware is your friend. If they can't find anything to eat, they will not stay long. It's easy for them to gnaw thru cardboard and other kinds of food boxes/wraps. You should be able to find what they are eating, they leave droppings near there and when you pick up that box of mac'n'cheese and its empty with a hole gnawed thru the bottom corner... well.. there you have it.