Anybody have problems with goodrich volume pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ixsaves13, Feb 24, 2009.

1. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

I have had my goodrich for quite some time now (2 yrs), but I've had an issue where it would cut out if i put just too much pressure on the toe side. I've sent the pedal in to repair, but a week or so later it continued. Any recommendations on what to do or another volume pedal that is as good. I do not like the ernie ball pedals and the Hilton is a pain with the huge transformer.... What to do... suggestions?

2. Prairie Belt

Prairie Belt Supporting Member

The pots in the Goodrich vp's are known to go bad & aren't the highest quality (at least the recent ones). The pedal steel guys usually replace the stock pots with these-

http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/pots.php

I put these in both my Goodrich vp's, which were going bad. Haven't had a problem in the year or so they've been in there.

Hm, after reading your post again it sounds little different than just a bad pot, but the design of those pedals is pretty simple, so the pot's about the only thing that can go bad if the string's on properly.

3. ixsaves13

I wish it was the pot as I would change that out in an instant, but it seems like if the pedal is pushed too much from the toe section, it grounds out and all the guitar output is gone. I'm wondering if it is the volume pedal design or something. This has become a big problem for me.

4. Prairie Belt

Prairie Belt Supporting Member

Open it up and check it out. The whole string pulling design inside is pretty simple, so I'd think that it would be easy to trouble shoot.

Unless I'm thinking of a different model… which could very well be the case.

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I really like my Visual sounds volume pedal, but it may not be what you are looking for. I actually am not using it in my current rig....

6. ixsaves13

After looking inside from the first time (before I initally sent the pedal back to Goodrich), the pot once pressure applied to the toe actually gets pressed down and moves a bit. There is a piece of rubber mounted on the top side of the metal casing stopping it from grounding, but once enough wear and tear (pressure) on that piece and it begins to thin out and again ground out. This is not good!

Just to clarify i have the 120 regular sized pedal (non-low model)

Basically looking for another volume pedal.

What do you guys think about the new boss volume?

7. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I haven't had that problem with my L120. And I use that thing definitely in EVERY song, let alone every gig...don't write goodrich off yet. I don't think you'll find too many better ones out there, maybe hilton.
    Nels Cline was using a goodrich for the longest time, and he is now using the boss FV500 which is pretty sturdy. Maybe check it out?

8. ixsaves13

I have had problems with my goodrich for a while, so it's hard to not write it off... Already being repaired and with the problem occuring again, I can't tell the person who hired me for a gig that it's my volume pedals fault anymore. I actually just ordered a hilton. Thank you for your input!