Anybody have the chords for Jim Hall´s "Beija-Flor"? Please?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Berlin Chris, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

It is such a beautiful bossa ballad, but I can´t seem to get the chords together correctly. Anybody able to help me out? Please?

:)

2. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

"All Across The City" is an amazing record. It's a toss up between that one and "These Rooms" for the best Jim Hall record. Oh, wait..."Jim Hall Live" is pretty stellar too. Here's the harmony:

Bmin7b5 E7b9 Am9 FMaj7
    Bmin7b5 E7b9 Emin7b5 A7b9
    Fmaj7 Bmin7b5/E7 Amin9 FMaj7
    Bmin7b5 E9 Amin9 Amin9

Vamp section
    F#min9 4 bars
    Gmin9 4 bars
    G#min9 4 bars
    Amin9 4bars
    Bbmin9 4 bars

Bmin7b5 etc

I'm doing this from memory as I learned this song many years ago. The only thing i'm not certain of is whether the vamp section actually goes on to the Bbmin9 (16 bar bridge seems more likely than a 20 bar one. But Jim Hall never played by anyone's rules.) Let me know which it is. My copy's on vinyl and I'm not digging it out right now...

Steve

3. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Thank you so much, Steve.

I have figured out the A section in the meantime but many thanks for the Vamp section. Just going up chromatically... duh!

4. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

I always loved that tune! Hey, BTW, a great bass player friend of mine is moving to Berlin in December. If you ever need a ridiculously creative and capable upright player... www.myspace.com/milesperkin

Steve

5. VR2005

VR2005 Member

I don't think there can be an obvious best Jim Hall album, he's just that consistent and amazing in all aspects. I've always been surprised as to why more people don't look up to him when learning jazz guitar, to me is right up there with Wes and everybody in that group.

6. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Yeah. I know what you mean. I was so lucky when I was 15 to have a jazz guitar teacher who was super into him. So he quickly became my favourite. I think my first jazz albums (i went out one day and bought a bunch...) were "All Across The City" , Steve Khan's "Evidence", Miles Davis "Milestones" and "Charlie Christian: The Genius of The Electric Guitar". I wore those tapes out on the way to early morning Big Band rehearsals at my high school. Good times. I definitely went through a major period of Jim Hall emulation. Now, I do not sound like Jim Hall. :)

Steve

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

"These Rooms" is my fave Jim Hall record, for sure...

There's a nice recording of "Beija-Flor" on the new Jim Hall/Bill Frisell duo CD....

8. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

That's worth picking up for sure! You know, another one that's really good is "Commitment". It has Don Thompson and Terry Clark, Art Farmer...etc. Really nice. Art Farmer's flugel sound on that one defines "warm". A great version of "Indian Summer" on that one if I recall...

Steve

9. musicianjs

musicianjs Member

I have heard recently that Jim isn't in the best of health. Anyone know more about this?

10. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Well, he is getting on in years. I know that any time he's been in Montreal, I always seem to have a conflict. Then I curse myself for not making it happen. You just never know. I was always envious of my friend who caught Miles just before he passed. This is morbid. I'm sorry...

Steve