1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody here ever stick a Celestion Blue into a MAtchless Lightning?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rusty G., Feb 2, 2006.

1. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I really love my DC30. But it's one heavy mother. I was thinking about checking out the Matchless Lightning. . .then, I thought about a Celestion Blue speaker. Has anybody here ever put a Celestion Blue into a Lightning? How did it perform. Was the amp too strong for the speaker? Did it work great with Humbuckers and single coils? How about the low end?

Thanks,

2. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I've run my Bad Cat Cub through an open back 2x12 with Blues. It actually sounded very simlar to the 2x10s in the Cub, but with a bigger looser low end.

3. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I've run my s2 amps lightning clone into a Blue... The amp is actually a head, and the cab was an open back 2x12. Normally this cab has the Blue wired in parallel with a Scumback G12H30 w/ the 55hz cone, and I REALLY dig that speaker pairing with the lightning.

When I was trying to really break my speakers in, I had them hooked up individually for a period of time to give them the full power load. When I was running the lightning into just the Blue by itself the tones were pretty nice, but that's definitely not my favorite single speaker to run in a 1x12 with any amp, the lightning included.

While the Blue has some great magic going on that no other speaker can deliver, I find that while used alone, it's too light on the bottom and lower mids to create a really full sound... It seems to have a bit narrower bandwidth than some of the other 1x12 speaker options out there, and due to the amount of compression of the alnico magnet, it REALLY compresses a LOT when you're hitting it by itself with the full power of a 15 or 18 watt amp. As you know, even though the Lightning is a relatively open sounding amp for a 2xEL84 15 watt amp, it still has a good amount of natural compression on it's own when cranked up, so I thought the added compression from the single Blue was just too much of a good thing.

There would be a couple scenarios where a single Blue in your Lightning might still work really well for you:

1) If you primarily set your Lightning up for clean tones. The Blue is THE speaker for cleans in my opinion.

2) If you are talking about using the amp for recording, but not playing out. The natural compression and frequency inherrent in a Blue makes it an ideal recording speaker... so much so that you need to do very little to the guitar sound after it's tracked; it just sits perfectly in the mix.

If we're talking 2x12 cabs (which it doesn't sound like we are unless you're willing to run an extension cab), a pair of Blues is fantastic since they're sharing the power load, and thus it doesn't compress them quite as much. I also think a Blue sounds fantastic paired with a variety of other ceramic magnet speakers in a 2x12 (G12H30 both 75hz and 55hz, or a greenback would be a good choice).

My single favorite speaker in a 1x12 is the Scumback G12H30 with a 75hz cone. It's got great chime without causing ear fatigue, excellent articulation, sounds great recorded or in a live band mix, has good headroom and power handling without too much compression, with good tight & present bass response and lower midrange. If we're talking 1x12's, it's my speaker of choice for any EL84 or 6V6 amp that doesn't exceed it's 30 watt power handling abilities.

The only exception would be if you play single coils exclusively... Then many might actually prefer the Scumback G12H30 with the 55hz cone. Even still, it's hard to top the 75hz.

After all that babble, I hope I could be of help. I've spent a lot of time experimenting with single speakers in 18 watt or less amps, so it's a topic I'm passionate about! ;)

4. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Be carfull.

I would be afraid that the lightning could take a blue out. Those little beast are really putting out more that 15 watts and are probably closer to 22 or so.

If crancked I bet it could be the end of a very expensive speaker.

5. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Trade me my mint '96 Lightning in a ATA road case for your DC!....Oh wait, mines a 2x10 (but sounds better than the 1x12).:D

6. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I have a 2-10 Lightning with factory Celestions. I have used it with a 2x12 Weber Sliver Dogs cab. Sounded great, but really did change that Lightning sig. sound alot.
    Seems like the V30 is the perfect speaker for any Matchless for that hardcore mid range.... sets in the band mix so well. Listening to the V30 without the band you may not like it them as much.

7. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

An option would be to use an Emi Red Fang. Sure, it doesn't have all the mojo that a Blue has...but it has a good amount of the mojo. The Red Fang is rated at 30watts and I regularly blast the living **** out of it with my 6v6 lightning...and it's held up fine.

If the emi isn't an option, another option would be one of the various Weber blue offerings...

8. celestion101

6V6 Lightning???? Did I miss something?

9. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

nope, I believe bitsandvolts built a 6v6 version of the lightning...

10. celestion101

That would actually be very cool as I'm a 6V6 fan myself.

11. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

You and me both! Between EL84's and 6V6's all my needs and desires in tone are accounted for.

12. Jetsetsc

Jetsetsc Member

I have run a Weber blue dog in my 1x12 Lightning clone and it is a really great combination. The Weber is 30 watts so I don't have to worry about blowing it. Great for beefy cleans and rich Hank Marvin twangy stuff.
    -j