Anybody here familiar with vintage Fender Oxford speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rydock, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Rydock

Rydock Member

I have some speakers that I'm probably going to sell. I did a bit of research but couldn't find much info on my exact model. They have a blue label on the back. The ID sticker says "12L6-13." Do you guys know what amp this might have come from and what year it is? The seller told me that they were 70s era speakers. How much do you think I could sell them for a quick sale? Hell, I might even load one into an unloaded 1x12 cab I have lying around.

Look like this with the same style of holes:

[​IMG]

2. LarryN

LarryN Member

These were common in silverface Twin Reverbs. There should be a number starting with 465 which is Oxford's code the number after it will be the last digit of the year and next two, the week it was made. If it said 465122 it would be Oxford 1971, 22nd week for example. Not too valuable unless someone wanted to restore their silverface, which is not too often. I like them OK. Maybe $50 to $75 for the pair? Just a guess.

3. Rydock

Rydock Member

It's 465-151. So it's a 1971, made in the 51st week? Awesome. Thanks!

What other amps would this speaker have come in?

4. Rydock

Rydock Member

Also would you happen to know what the wattage handling of these speakers were? I read somewhere that the "L" indicates that it's 30w. Is that right?

And I'm assuming these are 8ohm speakers, correct?

5. LarryN

LarryN Member

I've only seen them in Twins. I'd say they were more like 50 watt speakers. At least 40. They are 8 ohm.

6. Rydock

Rydock Member

Something I don't really get: If these were 8 ohm speakers, how would Fender have wired them up for a combined impedance of 8 ohms for their 2x12 Twin amps?

7. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

Two 8 ohm speakers can be wired for 4 or 16 ohms, 4 ohms for a twin.