1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody here got a SuperVee Locking Trem? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by speedyone, Aug 2, 2020.

1. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Hi all.

Looking to see if anyone here has tried out the Supervee locking trem system, and if so, what you think of it.

Thanks!

2. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Supporting Member

3. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Not the locking one, but a "Blade Runner" and it works great.

4. speedyone

Yeah, a TON of people have gotten the BladeRunner, but doing a search on the GearPage and a Google search has only turned up ONE person who has the SuperVee locking trem-- Shane Sanders.

He posted in 2012 and 2018 that he liked his a lot, but I couldn't find a single other person who has shared about their experience with one. Well, except for a testimonial from Eric Johnson on the SuperVee page, but nowhere else.

:(

5. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

While I have not used the Locking version, my thoughts are locking is locking... The real advantage to the SuperVee is the "Pivot" concept...

There actually is no "pivot" .. the unit is suspended via a sheet of spring steel which flexes as the tremolo is engaged.. Thus no friction points exist...

What this means... In a typical Tremolo suspended against either 2 pivots or 6 bolts.. when at rest the unit takes a "seat" against the mount.. when ya engage, it takes a momentary higher level of pressure to get it started than it does to maintain the full sweep. It's known as the moment of inertia..

For some that results in an extremely short subtle "chirp" as the tremolo is engaged.. that cannot happen with the SuperVee.

The SuperVee is presently my tremolo of choice, I have it on my personal Strat.

r

71strat, burningyen and Juan Tuthri like this.
  6. Grenville

Grenville Member

Had the Supervee Bladerunner on my 2000 American Series Strat. It changed the sound of my guitar - more assertive and toneful compared to the normal 2-point bridge.

It was very stiff though, and I eventually swapped it out for a Wilkinson VS100, which I'm very happy with; good tone and ease of use..

7. ieso

ieso Member

8. splatter

splatter Supporting Member

at $499.95 why would anyone even consider it. Floyd rose always worked for me at nowhere near the cost.

I do use their trem stabilizers though and they work great.

9. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Supporting Member

I searched the website and I don't see a trem listed there fir $500 only $180

10. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Well, some people have guitars that they don’t want to cut huge chunks out of to accommodate a Floyd Rose. I personally don’t think there’s anything special the Supervee locking trem does that is worth $500 because that is insane money for a bridge, but I have a Supervee Bladerunner on one of my Warmoths and it is absolutely fantastic.

Gotta search harder man :)

https://super-vee.com/super-vee-locking-bridge-and-nut-system

11. splatter

12. splatter

the $180 is not the locking one

13. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

The Supervee (the one that's $500) and the Supervee Bladerunner (the $180 one) are both the type of trem that you can add to an existing strat and if it's not for you you can go back to the original and you would never know the Supervee systems were ever there unlike a Floyd Rose modification which requires permanent irrevocable changes to your instrument.

OK so what's the difference between the Bladerunner ($180 at this time, I bought mine when they were around $150) and the more expensive Super-Vee ($500 at this time it used to be much less in terms of price)?

The Super-Vee is a locking system that would compete with something like a Floyd but simpler to install and has a fancy locking mechanism at the nut. From people who have them they seem to work very well. It looks different than a conventional strat bridge. People will notice this difference and if you have a Floyd equipped guitar it looks more like a Kahler in its physical appearance.

The Bladerunner (the system I have) for the strat is a non-locking system that's a 100% drop-in style replacement for an original strat bridge (mine is the six screw variety). Again, if you decide you don't like it removing it and going back to the original will show no sign to you it was ever installed.

What does it get you? It's lighter, stays in tune better, and also seems to let my instrument sustain longer and it seems acoustically louder. It looks similar to a regular strat bridge so most people won't notice it if you install one.

The bar and the trem itself seems to be made to a jewelry like luster - you can get it with modern or bent steel vintage type saddles.

I really like it a lot. The company is responsive if you need parts too (I stripped a mega-tiny allen screw once while I was adjusting the bridge in a hotel room in the middle of nowhere once and they overnighted me a bridge saddle with the screws pre-mounted).

I keep threatening to make a video for my experience with it but this is the second one I've bought and I like them.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    71strat and ieso like this.
  14. speedyone

Wow, surprised there aren't more than 2 guys here who own or have tried the Locking SuperVee...

:dunno

15. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

It’s a $500 trem man. Not a lot of people willing to spend that kinda scratch on just a bridge (especially one that puts a big ole hunk of metal on the headstock of your guitar) when you can get a pretty damn solid whole guitar for that price.

I have no doubt it’s a quality system based on how fantastic my Bladerunner trem is...but I also have no doubt it has very limited appeal and probably even more limited at that price.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 12:56 AM
  16. Grenville

Grenville Member

Oh, geez, they were very rude to me, actually, told me to go to a luthier at my own expense, too bad, etc. Fortunately my brother is an engineer/toolmaker and was able to remove the stripped/shattered brass mount for me.

17. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

I know Eric Johnson has a Super-Vee (the expensive one) on one of his strats. I don't know anyone else who does but I remember there was a waiting list for a while as they were apparently rather difficult to produce. I wish I could try one just to see if it compares with a Floyd performance wise.