Anybody here "in" with Divided by 13/Fred

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Glowing Tubes, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Help!
    I got a great used ERT33 from a fellow gear pager and am having some problems with the amp, Seller is honest and we're both working on the problem so the transaction is fine.
    I called Fred and he was not very helpful.
    I dont want to air everything out here at this time. If anybody can help me or anybody has worked on these or has any good graces they can use on Fred, please PM me and I'll explain the problem, I hope it's an easy fix. :messedup

Thanks!!!

Richard

2. mlongano

mlongano Member

Richard...sent you an email.

Mike

3. Glowing Tubes

:jo Just found out my inbox was full, just emptied it and made space

Thanks for any replies/emails.

Richard

4. Glowing Tubes

Narrowed it down to a bad 5879 tube.
    Thanks to everybody (Especially Chuck and Tom) for the help!!

Would have been good if Fred could have told me that. :messedup

I'll be posting a tone report soon.

Richard

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

please do! Can't wait to hear about it.

6. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Well I've personally only HAD great dealings with Fred. Maybe you just caught him at a bad time. I have had every amp builder I've dealt with tell me, and my own experience has born out, that 99% of problems trace back to tube issues. I've owned a couple D13's and found it was good idea to keep a couple of those pesky 5879's in reserve. They tended to get noisy after a few months of hard use. At least in my case they did.

Enjoy that 33! Thats my favorite 84 amp of any I've owned. if you didn't get a switchazel with it, it's highly recommended. Blending those channels is magic.

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

where/what brand 5879's should i stock for my rsa? I might as well grab a few...

8. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

IIRC the GE's were the most reliable, but I also had some RCA's. Boy I wish I'd never let that 33 get away. From what I've read. I think the 31 would be even more up my alley.

9. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Yeah, I can't wait to get my 31.

If you're around in August I'll be coming through the Bay on a short tour leg...you're welcome to come hear my RSA! :D

10. Sherman

Sherman Member

From what I understand, RCA was the only manufacturer that made the 5879. If you see other brands, they're likely made by RCA. I've got a stash of them for my %13's.

Sherm

11. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Must have caught Fred on at a bad time. I honestly don't know how one guy can do what he does and still have time for sleep let alone a life of his own.:NUTS I own an RSA23 and have owned several other /13's (and loved them all!) and in my experience Fred has not only been very helpful with any questions I've had but almost seemed humble and very thankful that I had such high regard for his product. I'll probably be a Divided by 13 owner for life, not just because of how good Fred has been to me in the past but because NO ONE makes amps that have that "Fred Taccone" tone but Fred Taccone!!

Just my .02

12. Glowing Tubes

He must have split personalities. LOL:messedup

I'll try him again soon. In the meantime, I have a killer ERT33 with the RSA31 Mod, just sitting waiting for the tube. That is tough.:worried

Richard

13. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You should have just called me...I mean, Fred's shop is only a mile (if that) from my place.

From my own experience with Fred (around 2-3 years now)...

1) Likes to talk, but NOT on the phone.
    2) Doesn't really like dealing with email and computers.
    3) Nice guy, and is willing to help, and has helped me with a couple of things.
    4) Is just really busy all of the time....so the faster you get to the point, the faster he can answer and go back to work.

I've cruised by and seen Fred in his shop early in the morning (on my way to the San Pedro Cafe, a couple blocks from him shop), and late at night. He's there a LOT, as most of us boutique guys tend to put in lots of hours, but for lots of reasons (soldering gun in hand, amp testing at high volume, client in for advice/pickup, or just can't drop everything at that moment) you just can't sometimes pickup the phone.

Not making excuses for Fred, just trying to explain what happens when you're busy...which he usually is.

14. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Fred is one of my best friends and a wonderful human being.