Anybody here play a Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sonic Reducer, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

How do you like it? I've been looking at the 330 or 360 six strings. Any thoughts or suggestions? The new price i've found is $985. It doesn't seem much higher than the used ones I've seen.

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I'd feel like I lost an appendage if someone stole my Ric 370/12.
    [​IMG]

3. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

are these good rhythm guitars? I think that's what people mostly use them for.

4. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

here's my 330 six stringer. :dude

[​IMG]

5. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

I have always loved this guitar.

[​IMG]

My brother had one when I was a kid and I've wanted one ever since. It's still one of my 'one day' guitars.

6. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Are these bright or dark guitars?

7. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

The sun burst looks to be bright around the middle and dark around the edges . . . i think the Fireglo black is dark . . . really dark ;)

But seriously, In my experience they tend to have a heavy attack and are bright . . . but, they can be very versatile . . . very versatile in the right hands . . . I played with a fellow who had one with a Boogie MKll . . and you would not believe that amazing sounds he could get . . and sustainOrama!! which is surprising for a hollow body . .

one of my someday guitars too . . . but they all are for me . .

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Bright AND dark. :)

They're jangly-bright, but it's all in the high upper mids; the real top-end is quite muted and compressed.

I used a Ruby red 360 (6 string) quite a lot with my previous band, although I haven't really played it much for a while. I played all sorts of "non-Rickenbacker" stuff on it too - high-gain leads as well as jangly rhythm, through a Mesa DC-5 - although I used it with Fenders too earlier still. I actually found it suited the darker Mesa sound really well, especially with a lot of distortion on - it seemed to remain clear and retain note separation even though it was huge and heavy too (and fed back spectacularly, sometimes with more predictable results than at others ;)). It's a myth that you can't bend notes on them - but the necks do seem very variable, and I've only come across a small proportion that I can really get on with... the rest either too small (even for someone with little hands like mine) or oddly too big.

A pic of the past...

[​IMG]

(yes, my hair really was green on top, it's not just the stage lights! I've stopped doing that now too for some reason... :))

9. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

I really loved my 330 fireglo and hope to get another ric someday. To me it just wasnt a very versatile guitar. they have a very specific, though very sweet, sound. so for someone who has one or two guitars, the ric isnt a good option. When I get to 3 or 4 though, another Ric would definitely be on the list.

10. Grap

Grap Member

I have a Ric 620 that I picked up used very cheaply (about US$570).

That skinny neck makes me stumble if I heven't played it for a bit, and the finish has suffered badly from being exposed to heat, humidity and lots of wok frying! No, that's not a mis-type. It must have been on a stand in a room above someone's kitchen for years as when I got it it was covered in lots of cooking oil residue. It took lots of lighter fluid to get it even 90% cleaned up, and the finish over the neck binding crumbled off like candy when I scratched it with my thumbnail!

[​IMG]

11. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Are there any amps in particular that these sound good with? I'm looking for a good rhythm guitar. Something that you can play chords with and when you play a G, you know it's a G. All this into a slightly overdriven amp. Kind of like the Edge from U2

12. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Mesa Blue Angel.

Kind of like an AC30 and a Tweed Deluxe rolled into one (Edge uses both), but clearer than a Deluxe and thicker than an AC30, with really nice reverb.

I had thought about selling my Rick - since I hadn't used it for a while - until I got the Blue Angel, and now both of them are keepers.

Grap - beautiful guitar (even in that condition!) :)... I've always wanted one of those too, but never found 'the right one' - they're very rare in the UK.

13. britishampsrock

britishampsrock Member

the plan is to get a 620 right after i save up for all the f-ing money for a killer les paul.

14. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

What about a Rick and a tweed deluxe?

15. propska

propska Member

I've got a 620 running into a hayseed. It's the perfect match. The only thing now, is whether to put in toasters or not.

I actually like the smaller neck. I think it's perfect for rhythm work since it allows me to reach across the fret board better. Not so good for lead work, but who uses a ric for lead anyway?

16. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Me... :)

'Picture Of You' - the song I was playing in that pic above.

All the electric parts are the 360, I think through a Deluxe Reverb.

(warning, fairly large download, it's about a 5 min. song)

Or try this one if you want the Dark Side... ;)

'Zombie' (Cranberries cover) - recorded live, apologies for the lo-fi off-the-video-camera recording!

That's the 360 through my Mesa DC-5, up really loud, and yes that is some tapping in the playout solo ;). Nice ragged feedback ending too :D.

17. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I have a 330/6 and a 330/12, both have been great guitars and sound incredible through an AC-30 or, more specifically, my Valvetech Hayseed.

I don't play a lot of full-out leads on the 6 (none at all on the 12) -- it's not a great guitar for blues, IMHO, but it's perfect for early REM, JAM, stuff like that.

18. propska

propska Member

I better start working on my playing skills. Maybe I'm the only one that has trouble navigating the fretboard trying to do lead work. :)

Hey John. I really like that country tone (I'm not even a country player). It has the ric fullness that I always felt teles lacked.

19. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I played a couple of 330's today. I see what people mean about the skinny neck. Skinny as in the width across the fretboard. They sound great though for rhythm stuff.

20. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

What guy with green hair?There's a guy with green hair in that photograph?