Anybody here produce electronic music?

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
I keep wanting to get a Push, but i'm nervous about the learning curve and the time investment to get me to where i am used too with Ableton. But it's probably gonna happen this year sometime, knowing me, right before Push 3 arrives....
I think you'll be fine, a lot of its is straight fwd, a few things I still need to re learn learn etc but I think its pretty intuitive how they laid it out. I need to learn more in Ableton anyways, I dabbled for like 2 yrs on and off with a cracked version of 9 before making the commitment to it. I caught on of the Black Friday sales so it was bundled with Live Suite for $1100. which was a great deal seeing as the full Blown Suite is like $750 alone.

aisling

Silver Supporting Member
I think you'll be fine, a lot of its is straight fwd, a few things I still need to re learn learn etc but I think its pretty intuitive how they laid it out. I need to learn more in Ableton anyways, I dabbled for like 2 yrs on and off with a cracked version of 9 before making the commitment to it. I caught on of the Black Friday sales so it was bundled with Live Suite for $1100. which was a great deal seeing as the full Blown Suite is like $750 alone.
that a great deal! my ambitions and delusions are to go full Ableton as a guitar looper, in addition to Push incorporation. I Just told my drummer, we are switching over to an e-set (we have on hand) for our weekly practices so I can capture his midi performances and start building songs for a hopeful demo. Gosh I hate explaining the potential of technology to those stuck in analog self righteousness....

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
that a great deal! my ambitions and delusions are to go full Ableton as a guitar looper, in addition to Push incorporation. I Just told my drummer, we are switching over to an e-set (we have on hand) for our weekly practices so I can capture his midi performances and start building songs for a hopeful demo. Gosh I hate explaining the potential of technology to those stuck in analog self righteousness....

Haha, yeah I brought my Push controller to rehearsal last week, only to show them what it can do and how Ableton workflow is set up and how fast you can work. My band was genuinely interested but I could tell it was a WTF? moment for a second when I turned it all on...
I am already thinking how can I incorporate this into my ES-8 switching system...Like man I know I can get some really crazy going on, I need a real hardcore Ableton Midi Nerd friend or 3 here in NYC...to share build ideas with on how to...and yeah I can already hear incorporating electronic elements in. I mean I took my friend to see Thom Yorke recently and he was not very impressed, he said it was mid level electric music at best, like not top tier stuff, and I would agree, I mean Radiohead were smart to get that into their game as early as they did. Not that they suck at it but if you listen to any real deal electronic music you already know it goes SOOOO much deeper than what they are messing with...

NoiseNinja

I mean I took my friend to see Thom Yorke recently and he was not very impressed, he said it was mid level electric music at best, like not top tier stuff, and I would agree, I mean Radiohead were smart to get that into their game as early as they did. Not that they suck at it but if you listen to any real deal electronic music you already know it goes SOOOO much deeper than what they are messing with...

That's a pretty arrogant thing to say, and also in my opinion an expression of a misconception of what music is.

I am not personally a Radiohead fan, and sure they are not the avantgarde of electronic music, but I don't think their music is bad by any standards either.

Music is predominantly not about technical skills, it's about communicating ideas that can't be communicated, or at least not communicated as well, through other medias.

Technical skills in music, and for that matter any art form, is a tool set and nothing more, if the idea you want to communicate require of you to be super technically proficient then you need to be super technically proficient, if it doesn't, well then you don't necessarily have to be so.

That an idea doesn't call for super technical skills to be communicated effectively doesn't mean that it is automatically a lesser idea than one that does, it is even possible for an idea that doesn't require a lot of technical skill to communicate to be more complex and advanced than an idea that does, and often it is even the case that a simpler approach makes an idea stand out clearer cutting out unnecessary extra whistles and bells to impress.

Music is not about impressing, it's about expressing, where one should be careful about exaggerating, unless that is an essential part of the idea of course.

I like Jim Carrey, but if someone pulled off his usual acting facial expressions in a normal conversation I would start to wonder how sincere they were and if they possibly suffered from some kind of mental illness.

Just because you have extreme great control of your facial muscles doesn't mean you have to pull a face each time you're smiling.

Finally music is certainly not a competition.

Last edited:

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
That's a pretty arrogant thing to say, and in my opinion an expression of a misconception of what music is.

I am not personally a Radiohead fan, and sure they are not the avantgarde of electronic music, but I don't think their music is bad by any standards either.

Music is not predominantly about technical skills, it's about communicating ideas that can't be communicated, or at least not communicated as well, through other medias.

Technical skills in music, and for that matter any art form, is a tool set and nothing more, if the ideas you want to communicate require of you to be super technically proficient then you need to be super technically proficient, if it doesn't, well then you don't necessarily have to be so.

That an idea doesn't call for super technical skills to be communicated effectively doesn't mean that it is automatically a lesser idea than one that does, it is even possible for an idea that doesn't require a lot of technical skill to communicate to be more complex and advanced than an idea that does, and often it is even the case that a simpler approach makes an idea stand out clearer cutting out unnecessary extra whistles and bells to impress.

Finally music is not a competition either.

Ok, I think you may have misunderstood the gist of what I am saying here.

I LOVE RADIOHEAD No doubt about, 100% fan right here.

I
have all their Lps been a fan since the 90s and recently went to the whole all four night run of shows here in NYC the last time around and went to see Thom Yorke Solo too. (which is basically all Electronic vs Radiohead which is a full band thing with analog stringed instruments as well as SOME electronic elements.

My Musical tastes run very deep and extremely wide. from sparse solo vocal/acoustic music to full on compressed metal insanity, I love it all. What my friend and I were discussing, was that what Thom Yorke was doing with Electronic Music in his solo music project just wasn't AS interesting musically to my friend, or myself, as other electronic musics that he or I have heard, It has nothing to do with competition and more to do with Composition.

Case in point, Thom Yorkes' recent Soundtrack to SUSPIRIA was in my opinion an interesting venture for Thom and I enjoyed hearing it and like it a bit more than his other stuff. The is a personal taste thing here, as was the comment by my friend, And, at that show, Thoms' recent solo shows, thru the whole show the most surprising and moving thing he did to me that night was when he sat at the piano solo and sang a song from the new Suspiria soundtrack as an Encore.

So, Yes, I agree that its not a competition

However, I am entitled to have an opinion/thoughts and or comments of a band or members that I have been following and supporting for over 20+ yrs now and seen live many many times as well. If I only listened to one genre of music then maybe I'd not know anything about any other types of musics.

I lived in Europe for a long time (I see you are from Denmark?) from 92-06 and went to many many many diff clubs in many many diff countries (yours included) and went to full on Raves in the UK and Holland in the Gabber days in early 90s etc etc German Techno scene (lived there for 10+ yrs) So I have a lil bit of a clue as to whats going on in that scene and like what I like.

I am not arrogant and neither is my friend, but we do make music, we are respected in our communities and we both have opinions just as anyone else does about what they like and do not like.

NoiseNinja

Ok, I think you may have misunderstood the gist of what I am saying here.

I LOVE RADIOHEAD No doubt about, 100% fan right here.

I
have all their Lps been a fan since the 90s and recently went to the whole all four night run of shows here in NYC the last time around and went to see Thom Yorke Solo too. (which is basically all Electronic vs Radiohead which is a full band thing with analog stringed instruments as well as SOME electronic elements.

My Musical tastes run very deep and extremely wide. from sparse solo vocal/acoustic music to full on compressed metal insanity, I love it all. What my friend and I were discussing, was that what Thom Yorke was doing with Electronic Music in his solo music project just wasn't AS interesting musically to my friend, or myself, as other electronic musics that he or I have heard, It has nothing to do with competition and more to do with Composition.

Case in point, Thom Yorkes' recent Soundtrack to SUSPIRIA was in my opinion an interesting venture for Thom and I enjoyed hearing it and like it a bit more than his other stuff. The is a personal taste thing here, as was the comment by my friend, And, at that show, Thoms' recent solo shows, thru the whole show the most surprising and moving thing he did to me that night was when he sat at the piano solo and sang a song from the new Suspiria soundtrack as an Encore.

So, Yes, I agree that its not a competition

However, I am entitled to have an opinion/thoughts and or comments of a band or members that I have been following and supporting for over 20+ yrs now and seen live many many times as well. If I only listened to one genre of music then maybe I'd not know anything about any other types of musics.

I lived in Europe for a long time (I see you are from Denmark?) from 92-06 and went to many many many diff clubs in many many diff countries (yours included) and went to full on Raves in the UK and Holland in the Gabber days in early 90s etc etc German Techno scene (lived there for 10+ yrs) So I have a lil bit of a clue as to whats going on in that scene and like what I like.

I am not arrogant and neither is my friend, but we do make music, we are respected in our communities and we both have opinions just as anyone else does about what they like and do not like.

Fair enough, and sorry I misunderstood you.

Unfortunately writings doesn't always mirrors ones intentions well, and you don't always manage to formulate things as well as you hoped for or so that they will be understood the way they were intended.

What I wrote was just a reaction to the impression I got from the way you formulated that sentence I quoted you for.

I'm glad that we actually agree though.

Just to round off my point, which I think you will agree with (eventual insert your own favorite electronic artists here):

For instance I am a big fan of Coil, and there is no doubt that most of their music is deeper and more artistic than most of the music The Knife made, though I love The Knife too and think they made fantastic music as well.

It's not that Coil made objectively better music than The Knife, Coil's ideas in general were just more complex and artistic.

However I seriously doubt Coil would have been as great at being The Knife as The Knife was.

Probably I wouldn't even like Coil if they had attempted to make music in the same style as The Knife.

In the end both bands made the music they felt for and they were equally great at communicating the ideas they wanted to communicate and be sincere about it.

I applogize for derailing the thread slightly too.

Last edited:

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
Fair enough, and sorry I misunderstood you.

Unfortunately writings doesn't always mirrors ones intentions well, and you don't always manage to formulate things as well as you hoped for or so that they will be understood the way they were intended.

What I wrote was just a reaction to the impression I got from the way you formulated that sentence I quoted you for.

I'm glad that we actually agree though.

Just to round off my point, which I think you will agree with (eventual insert your own favorite electronic artists here):

For instance I am a big fan of Coil, and there is no doubt that most of their music is deeper and more artistic than most of the music The Knife made, though I love The Knife too and think they made fantastic music as well.

It's not that Coil made objectively better music than The Knife, Coil's ideas in general were just more complex and artistic.

However I seriously doubt Coil would have been as great at being The Knife as The Knife was.

Probably I wouldn't even like Coil if they had attempted to make music in the same style as The Knife.

In the end both bands made the music they felt for and they were equally great at communicating the ideas they wanted to communicate and be sincere about it.

I applogize for derailing the thread slightly too.

All Good.
I hear you. Thats a good comparison too.

In the end I know a lot of people (friends) who wont even listen to Electronic music, let alone try and make or incorporate it into their music which is a shame because there is a lot of great mind bending stuff being made. Some of the heaviest craziest sounds I have heard live have been electronic music based. and it can be as analog as you want if you get all purist about it :) I enjoy messing around with synths, they are a lot of fun, esp when you find certain frequencies in your travels and just drift....haha, good times :)

NoiseNinja

All Good.
I hear you. Thats a good comparison too.

In the end I know a lot of people (friends) who wont even listen to Electronic music, let alone try and make or incorporate it into their music which is a shame because there is a lot of great mind bending stuff being made. Some of the heaviest craziest sounds I have heard live have been electronic music based. and it can be as analog as you want if you get all purist about it :) I enjoy messing around with synths, they are a lot of fun, esp when you find certain frequencies in your travels and just drift....haha, good times :)

I don't personally have a lot of experience working with analog synths.

I had an old living room organ at some point and have had some small toy synths, that about how far that goes.

Can't afford most of them and I seem to be doing fine with programming samples either using Reason 5 or Reaper's midi grid with Kontakt 5, for more authentic samples, as well as various free VSTi's and then eventual record physical instruments too.

Actually come to think of it I probably use samples from "real" instruments (upright bass, electric bass, strings, woodwinds, brass instruments, glockenspiel, acoustic piano and drum sets e.t.c) more than regular synth samples or virtual synths, and then "electrofy" them by using various effects, or use longer traditionally recorded parts and then edit and manipulate them in various wave editors.

But yes, you can do some pretty crazy and complex stuff with electronic music that is impossible to achieve with a more traditional approach and using old fashioned instruments.

Learning how to program music electronically and manipulate samples or longer recorded parts using various wave editors, virtual effect processors/machines and plotting in expression curves for the different parameters I am grateful that I took the time to learn properly, as well as the whole journey of mostly experimenting my way through what and how things worked has been amazingly fun and interesting.

Incredible how much better I have gotten since I started, I think about 2012, just programming small experimental bits in Reason every now and then without really knowing what I was doing and then to 2014 where I more seriously got into making whole electronic compositions and actually was taught the basics of how to program and use the different virtual effect machines and synths in Reason properly, and then up to now, where I have gradually begun to use wave editors, DAW's and VSTi's more as well.

I discovered that you develop a more visual and graphical perception of music when you get used to programming.

Though no doubt having played bass and guitar many years prior to that, both playing in original bands and composing my own music has helped a lot and sped up the learning process considerably, as well as most of the music I have made since around mid 2014 has been predominantly electronic.

However the plan now is to go back to my folk project for a while, where I probably will not be using my skills at making electronic music much, as I'd like it to have a more traditional and acoustic vibe going on, more in line with the old tracks I recorded for it, before I really got into making electronic music.

Though I might still program some piano, strings or whatever samples here and there, using Reaper's midi grid and Kontakt 5, if needed, but no crazy synth sounds or samples manipulated into obscurity.

Last edited:

Staticbuster

I got into electronic music back in the early 90's and started DJ'ing around '96 when my band broke up. Transitioned into producing by the late '90s, right as Reason came out. I never had much hardware back then, and to suddenly be able to have all the virtual instruments I wanted was mindblowing. Ended up have a few songs put out on a label from LA in 2001 or so. Went back to playing in bands for about 10 years before moving in 2015. Since then I haven't met new musicians, so back to the electronic stuff I drifted. In 2017 I started a bandcamp page for my electronic music. I'm currently building up a nice hardware setup and having a ball making tunes.

https://futurecirclerecordings.bandcamp.com/

NoiseNinja

Here's a couple of tracks by Electro Jar that is from a much earlier date than the two other tracks I posted:

And here's a couple of tracks, of a more experimental nature than the track The White Death that I already posted, by my drone/ambient/noise project in my own name, Jacob Læby:

A conceptual track, which has an actual music video, based on this idea:

An examination in chromesthesia:
The wavelengths of the 3 primary colors our optic nerves can perceive has been transposed and transformed to sound within the audible spectrum through a sinus wave generator.
A higher and a lower pitch for each of the 3 colors has been arranged into this musical piece:

And one of the noisier tracks I made for this project:

Last edited:

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a couple of tracks by Electro Jar that is from a much earlier date than the two other tracks I posted:

You sampled that British woman filmed while Tripping on LSD!! dope... Are those lil delayed guitar pings? or is that in the box? either way sounds great..

NoiseNinja

You sampled that British woman filmed while Tripping on LSD!! dope... Are those lil delayed guitar pings? or is that in the box? either way sounds great..

Yup, that's exactly what we did, I love that clip, one of my favorite non music YouTube clips, and yeah the guitar on that track was played by me, and then I assume, although I don't remember clearly, added some VST compression, delay and reverb in Cubase 5, I also recorded the baritone slide guitar, the rest was programmed in Reason 5, the individual tracks ripped out and then the whole thing was mixed in Cubase 5.

There are certain things I like about the simplicity of these early tracks, sure the 2 others I posted in my first post in this topic (2 out of the 3 last tracks we made with this project) is better from a technical and probably also music theoretical perspective, but looking back we might have been a little too eager stuffing layers on them, would probably have been better if we had ditched some of those layers, the mix is admittedly a little crowded on the border of getting messy at some points on those 2 tracks, really a lot of stuff going on at the same time, especially on the Divinorum one.

Last edited:

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
I keep wanting to get a Push, but i'm nervous about the learning curve and the time investment to get me to where i am used too with Ableton. But it's probably gonna happen this year sometime, knowing me, right before Push 3 arrives....
I'm about to buy a Push 1. I'm just getting started with Ableton, after having Logic for years, and don't want to invest so much in Push 2. The first version is still pretty beautifully designed, and has most of 2's functionality.

Look on youtube for "Ableton Live Push Performances" or "Live Looping Performance." I just found out about all that stuff two weeks ago, and was sorta blown away. For me, just the spontaneity of working with little clips and quickly putting together those small, beat-synced pieces will probably alleviate my overthinking and procrastination. Fingers crossed....

Anyway.... The whole "EDM" 'tag' is just too broad for me. I like stuff like Kaskade, Tiesto, old BT..... "Electronica" and "Vocal Trance," i guess.

aisling

Silver Supporting Member
I'm about to buy a Push 1. I'm just getting started with Ableton, after having Logic for years, and don't want to invest so much in Push 2. The first version is still pretty beautifully designed, and has most of 2's functionality.

Look on youtube for "Ableton Live Push Performances" or "Live Looping Performance." I just found out about all that stuff two weeks ago, and was sorta blown away. For me, just the spontaneity of working with little clips and quickly putting together those small, beat-synced pieces will probably alleviate my overthinking and procrastination. Fingers crossed....

Anyway.... The whole "EDM" 'tag' is just too broad for me. I like stuff like Kaskade, Tiesto, old BT..... "Electronica" and "Vocal Trance," i guess.
Thanks for the links, yes, inspiring! The potential with push is amazing, I did a little session over the summer with a friend of mine who had just jumped in and gotten a push, and in like 5 min, we had something with potential to develop....I am desperately wanting to get away from constant computer interaction in the creative phase, and save that for the mix phase. Good luck in your endeavors. I also use a floor midi controller and a few other midi controllers currently, the floor controller really helps me as a guitar player to be able to access pads, and other drones, effects, etc, while playing guitar.

And Yes, the term EDM is very broad, almost ala "rock n roll," I entered the electronic music doorway inspired by the likes of......

Last edited:

vanklomk

Silver Supporting Member
I'd like to make some EDM or IDM but so far haven't done much. But I own a Push 2 and it's the best thing ever. Easily my most useful musical purchase and I've made way too many. I use it for looping guitars, practicing parts, making simple backing tracks. Sampling my son's weird songs. I had never used Ableton before I got it. Now, two years later, I'm just starting to learn a bit with the mouse and keyboard. I spent 2 years barely ever looking up at my computer and making all sorts of cool sounds.

It's very easy to learn!

aisling

Silver Supporting Member
I'd like to make some EDM or IDM but so far haven't done much. But I own a Push 2 and it's the best thing ever. Easily my most useful musical purchase and I've made way too many. I use it for looping guitars, practicing parts, making simple backing tracks. Sampling my son's weird songs. I had never used Ableton before I got it. Now, two years later, I'm just starting to learn a bit with the mouse and keyboard. I spent 2 years barely ever looking up at my computer and making all sorts of cool sounds.

It's very easy to learn!
cures to you sir, you just cost me $750!

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Man, thanks so much for posting up those RKC videos...she rocks! Her song structures are very much in line with what I want to do...kind of a pop sensibility that doesn't take 9 years to build a song and become interesting.

I have been burning some iTunes cash lately and really want to get some more electronic tunes in the library. I checked out a lot of Nero, but honestly couldn't get into it. I got turned onto them via the song "Me and You", which I still really like, but so much of it is just relentlessly brutal...I honestly felt worn out after listening to an album's worth of demo tracks.

As for the upcoming rig, I am thinking of blending together a drum machine like the AIRA TR-8, a multitrack looper like the RC-300, and a smallish keyboard synth like a DeepMind 6. I already have a POD HD500X, which will act as a MIDI command center. I want a lot of real live instrument playing going on, not just triggering tracks, so foot control is a big need.

Last edited:

Jonny1275

One of my 2 DAW's is Live and I have fun with that. I've generated tons of ideas without actually a finished piece, lol.

I've been listening to electronic music since the early 70's so my definition for it is different than todays which basically stands for EDM in general.

I like all forms electronic/sound collages. Only stuff I don't care for is much of the pounding 4 on floor kick 'techno' and the abrasive noise stuff. Jackhammer to the skull I call it. No redeeming listening value except to get bodies jumping in clubs

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Jackhammer to the skull is right. I like it in small doses for effect, but when the entire song is just abrasive for the sake of causing anxiety...wheres the fun in that for the listener?

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Double post for something really relevant...I have just discovered Mr. Fingers (shame upon me and my family, etc).

I have gone and downloaded Cerebral Hemispheres and am just in love. Such a wonderful human touch to a genre that can feel so cold and unforgiving. Electronic music for grown-ups!

Top Bottom