Anybody here use both the AC Booster and the BB Preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WienerDog, Dec 27, 2009.

1. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

If so, how similar or different do you find them to be?

If you had to keep only one, which would you keep and why?

2. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

The BB Preamp is slightly more compressed with a touch more saturation at higher gain settings. The BB can also dial in those sweet Marshall JTM45 tones and is incredibly smooth.

The AC Booster is slightly more open and has more grain than hair. Think of the AC as a modified screamer with less mid hump and a touch more growl at higher gain settings.

Between the two, that is difficult. Both are great overdrives with a powerful baxandall active EQ.

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

For me the BB is far easier to get a tone out of. Very Marshally (to me anyway). I have never bonded with the AC but there are a lot of good players who use it and get better tones then I do.

4. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

I have all three, the RC, AC, and BB.
    The way I see it, the RC is a "transparent" dirty clean boost, the AC is the RC with more gain getting somewhat into TS territory but with a flatter and less thin sound, and the BB is a RC with even more gain that can get Marshall-ish.
    As far as the JTM45 thing, I seem to get a bit more of that open KT66 tube effect from my Danelectro transparent OD. It has a bit more upper mids or just enough of something to bring it out front more not only with less compression, but with a fatter fullness than the TS style pedals and the AC/BB. I use it in place of a Klon because of that slight mid thing which is not quite as pronounced as a TS but enough to make it jump out just right like a giant 10" speaker sound, and just tonight I found it also makes a great sub for my BSIABII because although it has slightly less gain on tap, it is MUCH more quiet into a cooking JCM800.

5. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

Thanks, my friends! Anybody else have anything to say?