Anybody here use Garageband?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Soundhound, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Can you really go to town with it? I have Digital Performer, Machfive, etc etc. But I'm doing it all on a Powerbook G4 and it's a little underpowered for those programs it seems.

I'm imagining that Garageband (and the new one Garageband 2 that just came out) could be smoother to use/less of a resources hog?

With Garageband can you loop record, have plenty of sends, busses and decent effects, etc etc.?

thanks!

2. chad c

chad c Member

I have Logic, Garage Band and Pro Tools. Garage Band 1 is a cpu hog compared to the others, I hope 2 will be better. I know it has a lock feauture which might be similar to the freeze function in Logic which saves a ton of CPU and makes working on my 867 mhz powerbook really nice. I guess well see when it hits the market.

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

I've got the latest edition (which came) on my new Powerbook. How the heck do you use it? When I try getting into it it asks either for an old tune name or new one and that's it. Any tips gratefully accepted!

Best, Pete.

4. dreadheadhaha

dreadheadhaha Member

How well would Garage Band (1 or 2) or any other recording software run on a 500mhz G3 iBook? Would I be better off upgrading to a faster G3, same mhz G4, or just a faster G4 all together?

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

dreadheadhaha, you're somewhat UNDER the absolute minimum for processor power there, bud.

My Ilife '04 box says that GarageBand 1.1 needs a minimum of a G3 600mhz processor, and 256mb of RAM. Your laptop drive is also a slow one, more than likely a 5400 rpm model. You should really have about a 120gb 7200 rpm drive to use this software.

In fact, I find using a laptop with higher end processor/storage speed hungry software to be highly prohibitive, and frustrating. YMMV, but I think it's time to get a new G4 or G5 tower, put in an extra hard disk for your audio files, and then get going with this audio stuff.

6. dreadheadhaha

dreadheadhaha Member

thanks Scumbag. :)

I do have a dual G4 tower at home, but was looking for something portable to play around with. Point taken - UNDER powered. I'll see what kind of discount I can get through my school. Thanks a ton! :)

7. C.B. Hebb

C.B. Hebb Member

I'm glad you mentioned this. I thought it was just my system. My Powerbook G4 667 DVI does way better with PT 6.x

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

Garageband is a great app for scratching ideas down and quick demos but it has nowhere near the capabilites of DP, there are limited fx/sends, no crossfading of edits, no mixer and it is a cpu gog.

If your powerbook supports it, you'll probably find that booting in OS 9 will give you better performance.

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

For Garageband?
    Forget it.
    Despite what they say, to get any kind of performance using instruments etc. you need a G4 and at least 1gig hz cpu.

However, like I said above, a 500Mhz cpu is fine for running say DP/Logic/whatever in OS 9.

My main recording mac is 400mhz G3 running OS 8.6 and I've recorded hundreds of songs on it.