anybody here using a FENDER TWEED TWIN reissue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SW33THAND5, Jan 3, 2008.

1. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

they have been out for a little while now

i have been thinking about one for a while now. what are your impressions...GOOD -or- BAD?

[​IMG]

are they too powerfull? like the blackfaced monsters? or do the tweeds break up nicer? how are the cleans? etc

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

All the tweed recreations are Fender's best amps made, IMHO. I had a twin for a while and with band I was in at the time it was too loud (we didn't play that loud), now however it would be fine. In all honesty, I prefer the Bassman because I like the midrange control, I think it really helps to dial in different sounding guitars. I have a Bassman reissue and the speakers sound fine once you pummel them for a bit, many complain they are too harsh.

Since amps will not sound like BF amps and the clean tones will have some texture to them. My analogy is this BF = apple - hard and shiny where tweed = soft and little furry. I think the break up tones of tweed amps are much better as BF amps are designed to stay clean so it takes much more work to get steller dirt tones from these amps.

3. frank62

frank62 Member

I would venture to say they are the world's best amp. Around 35 watts so not to loud and the smoothest sounding Fender ever built. EC likes them as well.

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

They're apey for them of the Fender Discussion Page. By all accounts they are as good as the originals and just as good as Victoria's version. They even have Weber designed speakers in them. But they are just as expensive as a boutique amp.

5. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

I've gotten really close on a few of them used. The new ones I've played sound great.

Be great to A/B with the Victoria low powered twin.

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I've actually played both, I honestly prefer the Fender by a wide margin. The Fender uses better speakers and the dual rectifier does something to the sound that just makes it better for me. BTW, I love Victoria's but this is the one amp that Fender does better. I'd like to get the high power twin by Victoria.

7. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    +10
    I've gone through many many amps in 40+ years of this crazy passion and the '57 is the ONLY amp I require. All the sounds I've grown up with in my head (I'm 55) can be replicated in this amp.....Chuck Berry, BB King, Beatles, Stones, ZZ Top, Who, Kinks, Dire Straits, Petty, Pink Floyd, Cream, Setzer as well as smooth jazzy riffs from the likes of George Benson and Wes Montgomery. Ive owned DRRI's, Twin Reverbs, Deluxes,'59 Bassmans, Hot Rods, Vibroluxes, Dr Z's (Ghia, Mini, Maz Jr.) Boogies (Lonestar Specials, Stiletto Ace Combos, Dual Recs, Mark IV), Crates, Riveras (Quinnanas and Fandangos), Victorias (5112, 20112, 45410), Oranges (Rocker 30), .....and I'm sure I missed a few. Some were great amps but NONE of them were the sound I grew up with.........rock n roll was weened on TWEED not booteek! If you live near the Chicago area go test drive a '57 at Make N Music or Chicago Music Exchange and directly compare it to any booteek at twice the price and then let YOUR ears and wallet decide which is exactly what I did and then chose the '57. Well after I posted some internal gut shots of it a couple of good 'ol TGP posters felt compelled to point out the fact that it wasn't as neatly laid out as it could be........blah, blah, blah... in any event I made the terrible mistake of owning a '57 and switching to a Victoria 45410 also a great amp but only at MUCH higher volume levels.....the '57 can go from squeaky clean to smooth crunch to gnarly growl by merely applying more pick pressure.....it's THAT pick sensitive. I went back to the '57 because of its pick sensitive ability at a much more tolerable "home level" than the Victoria while at the same time I felt it simply sounded smoother overall at any volume. IMHO Fender has proven that it can still build world class amplifiers comparable to anything in the industry and some world class musicians such as Clapton, Gilmour and Beck all seem to appreciate that feeling as they are all using it. The OT's are Mercury Magnetics and the supplied tubes are GT-6L6GE's....the best sounding 6L6 in the biz according to several tube sites.......this amp is truly a bargain even at it's MSRP of 3K and at it's street price of $2100.00, it's a steal!

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I am a huge Bruno fan, but still cant disagree with this. The low powered tweed twin RI is one of the best sounding amps I have ever played. Not only that, but it FEELS as good as it sounds. Maybe the worlds best amp, along with some Brunos. :D Fender got it 100% right with this amp. Great job Fender!!

:BEER

9. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Good thread guys! The "57" deluxe RI is also a great rig for smaller venues.

10. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

Glad to hear that! I have one coming tomorrow!

11. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I think you'll really like it. I played one in a store and almost pulled the trigger.

....and staying on topic....I'm a big fan of the Twin too. I think they're totally killer.

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

13. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

If you're looking to buy one, you couldn't have picked a better time. dank and deeval have both been trying to sell one for weeks. It's definitely a buyer's market for gear at the moment.

14. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Yea Deeval has it tagged at $1400.00 and it's MINT!

15. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i think the fender low powered tweed twin is the finest amp that they have released in decades. i'm not much of a fan of blackface amps, but the twin has really nice, warm cleans that drift slowly and in a very linear fashion towards saturation. when cranked out, the saturation sounds so clean and has such a lack of buzz that it makes the use of pedals sort of redundant.
    don't own one, but have recorded quite a bit w/ one.
    i hate the weird orange tinge that the tweed has.

16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Of the 6 amps I own and 15 or so others I have owned, my RI Twin is hands down my all time favorite, and the amp I naturally go to when I plug in. Everyone here described its virtues well...totally agree. And a big +1 on how well chosen the stock speakers are. The definitive tweed sound. Did you buy the one F/S here on the emporium? If so, it was a steal! You'll love it.

17. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I had one and absolutely loved it. It kills and I will buy another. It is the perfect amp for classic rock. I've had a few Vickeys (bassman and 35310) and I prefered the Fender Twin for the tones I was chasing.

18. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

+1,000. I never really liked tweed to begin with :( I was looking at Webers cabs (and kit) lots of choices for coverings & grill cloth. I wonder how the Weber amp would compare to the Fender LPTT? :confused:

Or maybe the Fender with just a replacement Weber cab. I believe I'll be able to afford it someday :BOUNCE

19. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I had one for a while and it didn't have enough clean headroom for my gigging needs. Great tone though even though I prefer 4X10's over 2X12's. Ended up with a reissue Bassman in my gigging retirement. If I were still gigging though, I'd have a Komet 60 or a Pure '64 (does a respectable Tweed tone plus much more).

20. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

I just got one a few weeks ago at a great Boxing Day sale price - best amp I've ever owned.

Sounds great as a bedroom amp/pedals and even greater turned up. You can't go wrong, tone-wise, with this amp.